Maxed WA6SE with Sophia, my impressions so far
Oct 25, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #61 of 80
I just received the EL 5U4GM from Emission Labs distributor, just curious, how long does it take for this tube to burn in ? brand new, im having trouble hearing the difference with my Sophia which has about 200 hours on it. it must be very subtle --- or maybe my ears are shot ?? ?

Oct 25, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #62 of 80
I don't think you should hear drastic differences switching between rectifiers unless the amp is of poor design.The sophia and the eml are top shelf parts and both provide excellent performance. Whats the sonic differences between excellent and excellent, probably hard to hear. I am waiting for my amp still. I did order a EML 5U4G to go with it and i hope to hear a little difference, but part of the decision was for looks no doubt.

Did you hear a big difference going from stock to sophia or eml omoanya?

Oct 25, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #63 of 80
Makes, sense ... the system has been really sounding great with the Sophia as it is, i just wanted a backup after all i've been reading about the QC . In spite of my reading, what I am not clear on, is what drive tubes to try on the Wa6se, aside from the upgrades i received from jack are there some "holygrail" NOS i should be searching on ebay ?

Oct 26, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #64 of 80
Try the RCA Big Bottle nos 6ew7. But tube rolling is very subjective. Matter of fact the more you get into tweaking your amp the more you will understand this.

ss

Oct 29, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #65 of 80
Can't seem to find these anywhere ..

Quote:

Originally Posted by sillysally /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try the RCA Big Bottle nos 6ew7. But tube rolling is very subjective. Matter of fact the more you get into tweaking your amp the more you will understand this.

ss

Oct 29, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #66 of 80
I wonder how the RCA big bottle 6EW7s compare against the 6FD7's, gain issues aside. I still can't get that sound out of my mind
frown.gif

Oct 29, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #67 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by omoanya /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't seem to find these anywhere ..

I picked up a lot of 8 RCA BB 6EW7s (tested) on E-Bay, from a very trusted seller.

ss

Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder how the RCA big bottle 6EW7s compare against the 6FD7's, gain issues aside. I still can't get that sound out of my mind
frown.gif

I have both RCA 6EW7 and 6FD7. I like the RCA 6EW7 better for my setup. But I am currently using a EML 274B solid plate. I can get away with using the RCA 6EW7, because of the larger sound stage of the 274B solid plate and my Black Sand Violet V1 power cord. Why I say get away with the RCA BB 6EW7 is because the soundstage is a little contracted using the RCA 6EW7 but the sound is very well balanced and a very nice bass.

ss

Oct 30, 2009 at 11:47 AM Post #68 of 80
Might be a sily question, but how do I differentiate the RCA big bottles versus non-big bottle? I ordered several 6ew7 tubes from ebay and don't know the difference...

Oct 31, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #69 of 80
Big Bottle is what you got from Jack, non BB are thinner. You probably are going to get the non BB from E-Bay unless specified.

The problem with the combination (Sylvania 6EW7 and EML 274 mesh) for my tastes is that the Sylvania stretched out the soundstage (side to side). The EML 274B mesh plate has a very big soundstage so imo adding the Sylvania 6EW7 was to much of a good thing. And also using the Sylvania 6EW7 with the EML 274B mesh removed some of the 3D effects of the EML 274B mesh.
Remember one thing, what I use or anybody for that matter may not be right for you, your rig or your ears.

Rig; WA6SE maxxed, EML 274B solid plate, RCA BB 6EW7, Black sand violet V-1 power cord for my source player, Senn HD-800, Audioquest - King Cobra Interconnect cables, Black sand violet V-1 power cord for my source player and a PS Audio - Premier Power Conditioner.

ss

Oct 31, 2009 at 11:41 AM Post #71 of 80
Quote:

Makes, sense ... the system has been really sounding great with the Sophia as it is, i just wanted a backup after all i've been reading about the QC . In spite of my reading, what I am not clear on, is what drive tubes to try on the Wa6se, aside from the upgrades i received from jack are there some "holygrail" NOS i should be searching on ebay ?

I am currently comparing Sylvania, RCA, and Raytheon 6ew7 tubes in my WA6SE. I'll put posting my impressions soon.

Dec 6, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #73 of 80
Quote:

If i may ask, Where did you find your 6ew7's ?

If you are shopping for RCA 6DE7 and 6EW7, I do some to go... PM if you are keen. Otherwise Tube World will be a great online tube store to begin with. There are not many to be found at eBay.

Dec 6, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #74 of 80
Quote:

I just received the EL 5U4GM from Emission Labs distributor, just curious, how long does it take for this tube to burn in ? brand new, im having trouble hearing the difference with my Sophia which has about 200 hours on it. it must be very subtle --- or maybe my ears are shot ?? ?

My EML sound much better after 50 hours, and getting stable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back