Maxed WA6SE with Sophia, my impressions so far
Jul 20, 2009 at 10:13 AM Post #16 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by OutdoorXplorer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Brilliant idea... But how am I gonna burn-in the BGs unless and can use a microwave oven to do so....
L3000.gif

That's indeed another brilliant idea too, I believe, but don't get it over-cooked.
icon10.gif

Jul 20, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #17 of 80
Oh shush you two
tongue.gif

Drive tubes for the Woo seem to be incredibly cheap. I've been pestering Takezo for tube advice, and he pointed me towards the 6FD7's. A matched pair of these only cost $10
eek.gif
Not bad at all for a recommended, high-performing tube replacement, IMO!

Btw Takezo, they didn't have any horse-shoe getter type in stock, but I am nabbing a pair of the big bottle Sylvanias
beerchug.gif

Jul 20, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #18 of 80
it's not a big deal with the horse-shoe getter type. it just means they were made earlier
in the late 60's as opposed to the 70's and 80's versions.

while the following tubes are not as dynamic nor punchy in SQ characteristics,
or if you're looking for a greater dimensional perspective, more space and air
between notes and/or sense of more refined/elegant treble characteristics,
you may want to try the 6DN7 in the output sockets with an adapter that allows for
octal tubes to be used in the wa6 and wa6 SE. the 6SN7 plays in the wa6 with this
same adapter but not well in the wa6 SE. i think it may be due to topology differences
or voltage to anode plates discrepancy. jack has confirmed that the 6sn7 is fine on
the wa6 and plans to provide these adapters for anyone willing to purchase, in the
near future.

the 6DN7 is a dissimilar triode as opposed to the equal sections of the
6SN7 triode. the first sections are very similar in data but whereas the 6SN7 is not
made for power, the 6DN7 is. in fact the second section is similar to the 6FD7 in data
and will provide more than enough juice for high and low impedance phones. strangely,
the 6SN7 does provide enough juice in the power section for the wa6 alone...

i'm not sure why but i won't argue with it. the good news for the wa6 SE is that the 9-pin
version of the 6SN7, the 6CG7 and the 6CG7/6FQ7, works well for high and low impedance
phones. the 6GU7 works as well and i prefer it to its cousins in terms of clarity, better
extension on top, but they share the slightly laid-back, euphonic characteristics of the
6SN7 with elegant/refined treble. these 9-pin relatives of the 6SN7 will require a simple
adapter. i don't know if jack will provide these in the future, but making one is not as
complicating as trying to adjust the rinse cycle duration on the dang washing machine...
here's some pics of the 6DN7 with adapter and the 6CG7/6FQ7/6GU7 adapter:

6dn7wa6se00.jpg
adapter000.jpg

Jul 21, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #20 of 80
takezo, thanks for the info on the choices of output tube but I don't know how to make the adapters even yo have posted a diagram of these adapters as I recalled. If Jack would provide these for sales is really great and I must get a pair.

EDIT. Just searched around eBay about the 6FQ7 and 6GU7 found that the selling price of these tubes are higher than normal 6FD7,6EW7, 6CY7................. Most asking about $25 a pair Sylvanian and $48 a pair Tung Sol and extra cost of adapters which most of the other mentioned are arount $4-15 a pair. Wondering if the 6FQ7 and 6GU7 would sound that much better than the normal output tubes for the 6SE with that price.

Jul 21, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #21 of 80
it's not really a matter of better or worse, imo... it's just a different presentation.
if you listen to mostly rock, pop or music that needs fast transients, dynamic presentation
and visceral impact then the 6de7, 6fd7, 6cy7 and 6dr7 are fine. if you want a somewhat
laid-back, wider dimension, more refined mids and delicate treble extension for acoustic
jazz, small ensemble classical or anything that requires it, then the 6SN7, 6DN7, 6GU7, and
6CG7/6FQ7 will better provide it.

regarding the simple adapter for the 6CG7/6FQ7 and 6GU7, jack can easily make these
i'm certain. he use to sell the direct 9-pin adapters for use of the big bottle 6EW7 on
the older wa6. there's just one pin difference between that and this adapter.

Jul 21, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #22 of 80
I love my (near-maxxed) 6SE and my observations are very similar to Covenants. Compared to my PPX3 slam, the 6SE turns up the detail and instrument separation, but doesn't have quite as much punch. I have to turn up the volume knob on the 6SE higher than I do on the PPX3 to achieve the same volume level.

The word that comes to mind for me with the 6SE is 'delicate'. Not the physical amp itself of course, which is beautifully and solidly built, but it's the delightful textures of the music that float through my 650s that drew this word onto my thoughts.

Jul 21, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #23 of 80
Takezo, thanks for the tube swapping notes. I'm fortunate that I already have a stock of 6CG7/6FQ7 tubes for use in the PPX3, so I'll ask Jack about the adapters.

Jul 21, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #24 of 80
jopagi, i'm guessing you have the 6ew7 in your 6SE? try the 6FD7 or 6CY7 or 6DR7 for
higher gain and more visceral impact. the soundstage improves as well. just remember
that unused or NOS tubes need several hrs. of burn-in to sound their best. and listen to
the music after at least 2hrs. of warm up and you should hear even more refined and
delicate passages thru the amp.

Jul 21, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #25 of 80
takezo, have you tried the 6SN7 with the stock WA6SE? I emailed Jack a while ago and ask him about the compatibility of 6SN7 with WA6SE. He said it's capable without any adjustment or modification. However, it's hard to fine the adapter you mentioned. Probably will try to email some seller on eBay who makes few tube adapters for sale.

Jul 22, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #26 of 80
i found the 6sn7 fully compatible with the wa6 but not so well with the wa6SE. jack hasn't
confirmed the use of 6sn7 in the 6SE to me but if he says it's ok then it must just be my
unit that's not working with it... ask him to order a pair of adapters for you. he has
connections to adapter makers.

Jul 22, 2009 at 11:38 AM Post #28 of 80
My hands were itchy today and I rolled out the 6FD7 and replaced with a pair of thin RCA 6DE7. Surprisingly it sound rather decent with better high and low control except some discounts on narrower soundstage. This is in comparison with the tubes that I stocked and I am no expert in tube rolling. It is just merely my personal impression. I will be try out the thin RCA 6EW7 later. These 2 pairs of RCAs were the leftover from my previous WA6.

Jul 23, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #30 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by takezo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
jopagi, i'm guessing you have the 6ew7 in your 6SE? try the 6FD7 or 6CY7 or 6DR7 for
higher gain and more visceral impact. the soundstage improves as well.

Thanks for the input. I have some 6ew7 tubes in there now. I have some 6fd7s, but I think the tubes were bad so I didn't experiment much with them. When I get time I'll pick up some others and see how the experience changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back