Maxed WA6SE with Sophia, my impressions so far
Jul 19, 2009 at 4:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 80

Covenant

Headphoneus Supremus
Reposting this in its own thread so that it doesn't get lost amidst the Woo Amp Owner thread:

Impressions of the WA6SE at 200hrs:

Setup is PC playing FLAC with ASIO4ALL > Pico DAC > WA6SE > HD600, using the Sophia Princess with El Menco 6EW7 drive tubes. The Princess is at 85hrs burn in herself, which should be sufficient for her sound to have settled. The amp was warmed up for 2hrs prior to listening/noting down the below.

The overall character seems to be one of remarkable clarity and seperation, whilst maintaining a hint of sweetness and warmth. Early on during the burn-in process of the Sophia she brought a hyper-detailed, almost etched character to the HD600's - which was remarkable enough in itself, as the HD600 is a 'phone that could almost never be called etched, leaning as it does towards pleasing, warm musicality - which then faded into a less detailed, less open, almost dull sound signature. Details would then re-emerge a day or so later, along with a re-opening of the soundfield, each time slightly less etched and fatigueing than before. Until now, when all the detail retrieval originally heard still seems to be there, but presented in a much more fluid, analogue sort of way.

Vocals possess intimacy and immediacy, and string instruments in particular sound stunning, with intense vibrancy and resonance. Drums and percussion are good, but not exceptional - they are tight and deep, but lack the last word in impact and visceral punch. Although I'm willing to admit that this could well just be a shortcoming of the headphone. There seems to be no bleed of upper-bass into lower-mids though, which makes for good vocal clarity even in bassy tracks.

In very soundstageous recordings - my test track here being Josh Groban's 'To Where you Are' - the Woo seems to take the naturally tall soundstage of the HD600 and expand it horizontally as well. Josh's voice resonates, not only up into the ceiling, but out and around as well, creating an enveloping effect that I haven't noticed on this track before.

On the other side of the spectrum, very fast material that requires transient speed and sharp attacks - In this case, Michael's Jackson's 'Dont stop till you get enough', from the Number Ones album - possesses a sharpness of leading edges that is rarely heard from this headphone, in entirely good ways. Similarly, Shpongle's Dorset Perception sounds brilliant, albeit not as good as my memory of how the SA5000 + M^3 combo performed with this track, as one would expect. HD600 is simply a slower headphone, with emphasis on decay rather than attack, so even getting close to the ultra-fast SA5000 for these sorts of tracks is testament to the speed and power of the Woo.

More to come later on in the burn in process, hopefully after I get my Sylvania large bottle 6FD7's to replace the El Menco's
beerchug.gif

Jul 19, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #2 of 80
nice read. those blackgates are amazing. i have them in my wa6 but not in my
wa6SE and i can tell the difference in tonality regardless of tube combo.
i will soon upgrade the wa6se with blackgates as well.

Jul 19, 2009 at 1:42 PM Post #4 of 80
will do. i've not decided on how many filtering stages i will use but one thing
is certain, these blackgates are dwindling in availability...

Jul 19, 2009 at 1:59 PM Post #5 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by takezo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
will do. i've not decided on how many filtering stages i will use but one thing
is certain, these blackgates are dwindling in availability...

Thanks takezo, awaiting anxiously.

Jul 19, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #8 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by OutdoorXplorer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Maxxed 6 SE has surpasses 500 hours and awaiting 800 now... Still cooking the BGs.

Its crazy how much time those damn caps take. Especially since Woo recommends not running the amp for more than 8hrs continuous and not leaving it running unattended. I only manage to clock up about 10hrs a day within those constraints.

Jack should offer a factory burn-in as an optional extra
wink.gif

Jul 20, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #9 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Jack should offer a factory burn-in as an optional extra
wink.gif

Covenant, I love that advise but you've another let say 500hrs factory burn-in by Jack with 8hrs a day and that's mean 62.5 days more for the time of waiting.
biggrin.gif

Jul 20, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #10 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by dannie01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Covenant, I love that advise but you've another let say 500hrs factory burn-in by Jack with 8hrs a day and that's mean 62.5 days more for the time of waiting.
biggrin.gif

Ah, but lets get creative. What if Jack took his supply of Blackgates and just burned them in 24/7 with dummy circuits before installing them in his amps?
wink.gif
Besides, you can get alot more than 8hrs a day, depending on how long you need to cool the amp down after each session. Just burn for 8hrs, switch it off for an hour, then burn for another 8, rinse and repeat.

Jul 20, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #11 of 80
Quote:

Ah, but lets get creative. What if Jack took his supply of Blackgates and just burned them in 24/7 with dummy circuits before installing them in his amps?
wink.gif
Besides, you can get alot more than 8hrs a day, depending on how long you need to cool the amp down after each session. Just burn for 8hrs, switch it off for an hour, then burn for another 8, rinse and repeat.

Good suggestion
biggrin.gif
but .....................I'll be much appreciated if he can provide the service, think about the cost of extra work and...............
bigsmile_face.gif

What would be the price finally charge and that's interesting.

Jul 20, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #12 of 80
Quote:

Good suggestion
biggrin.gif
but .....................I'll be much appreciated if he can provide the service, think about the cost of extra work

I wouldn't think there'd be much costs for him involved, beyond designing/building a dummy circuit to keep a charge going through them. And he could charge extra for burnt-in Blackgates as an "upgrade" option for the impatient, like me
biggrin.gif

Jul 20, 2009 at 7:12 AM Post #13 of 80
Quote:

I wouldn't think there'd be much costs for him involved, beyond designing/building a dummy circuit to keep a charge going through them. And he could charge extra for burnt-in Blackgates as an "upgrade" option for the impatient, like me
biggrin.gif

Send me your amp and I'll be delighted to burn the BGs for you without any cost other than shipping...
tongue.gif

Jul 20, 2009 at 9:25 AM Post #14 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by OutdoorXplorer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Send me your amp and I'll be delighted to burn the BGs for you without any cost other than shipping...
tongue.gif

I'll suggest Covenant to disassemble his 6SE and sending you only the boards with BGs and all other desoldered BGs inside for the help of burn-in to eliminate the cost of shipping.
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 20, 2009 at 10:09 AM Post #15 of 80
Quote:

I'll suggest Covenant to disassemble his 6SE and sending you only the boards with BGs and all other desoldered BGs inside for the help of burn-in to eliminate the cost of shipping.
bigsmile_face.gif

Brilliant idea... But how am I gonna burn-in the BGs unless and can use a microwave oven to do so....
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back