Maverick Audio TubeMagic A1 (Hybrid Amp) - Discussion and Review Thread
Mar 13, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #167 of 232
Here's a recent finding about this amp which is VERY odd.

I accidently connected the audio out from my D1 to the tube pre-out of the A1, and found it odd that the source switch wasn't working, so I decided to investigate.
As a result the volume seems to be 10x louder than connecting it normally, and I experimented by taking out the tubes with it connected this way.

No tubes, connected audio in to the tube pre-out, the unit seems to drive the speakers using only the Class A/B amp.
If I connect it normally, with no tubes, there will be no sound.

Odd.

Perhaps I might use the A1 this way for it's Class A/B amp without the tubes.

------------------

Quote:
Hy all,

Has anyone tried the A1direcly power up passive Bookself speaker? Without D1, how is it? (no one mention in in detailed review), I planed to buy this amp for Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 (my next speaker)

And it has pre-amp output, how is it? I want to connect it into my Active Speaker.

Thanks

Without the D1 it's still sounds very good.

May 23, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #168 of 232
I've had the maverick audio a1 hybrid amp for about 6 months now. I'm very happy with it. I've been using the headphone output with my hd 650s, and I very much like what I hear. I also use the D1 as a DAC. One of the reasons I bought the A1 was because I was planning on eventually getting a decent pair of bookshelf speakers. My Polk RTi A1s just arrived, and I excitedly hooked them up. Everything sounded good until I started turning up the volume. Turned up to only about 9 o'clock the left channel starts to crackle and then, poof its gone. The right channel still works fine. If I turn the amp off and then turn it back on, the left channel works again, but I end up having the same problem as I turn up the volume. 

It seems pretty obvious to me that it's a problem with the amp. Why would the left channel work and then just shut off? Has anyone else had a similar problem? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix it? I don't have a ton of experience working on amps, but I do have a basic understanding of electronics. I'm probably going to contact Ryan later, but I'm considering just getting a new amp or something. 

May 24, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #169 of 232
After my main AMP was deffect and waiting for a new one as I ordered quickly, I have try to use the A1 as an AMP.

I have got the same problem with mine the first time I have attached speakers to it, after a few poweron/off both speakers work, but with an unbalanced signal, less level in the left speaker for me.

I was thinking this is an impedance problem with my speakers and I received my new amp and forget about the A1 as an AMP ... I also use my HD650 with the A1 and the sound is fine.

May 24, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #170 of 232
The problem with my A1 seems to be solved. I tried turning up the volume even though only the right channel was working, and the left channel came back. Now the problem seems completely solved. The left channel works at all volumes. I also thought the right sounded a bit louder than the left, but for me that's not really too much of a problem. It's barely even noticeable (I'm still not 100% sure there's an imbalance at all).

I should also say that Ryan was very fast to respond to my customer service ticket. Unlike some of the larger companies, he really tries to help his customers solve their problems.

Jun 15, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #171 of 232
@Thomas7: check your balance for your computer. Make sure it is not offset.

I have a pair of matched Mullards coming in. Can't wait to try them out on my friends A1.

Nov 21, 2012 at 4:22 AM Post #172 of 232
So I am using the A1 since 1 year now and was very satisfied by it.
I saw threads about yube rolling and I thought, okay those standard tubes are fine.
Recently I decided to buy those matched Mullard m8100 to give it a try.
Before, I thought the tube thing was another audiophile myth but now I understand.
It sounds different, the first thing that impressed me was the detail of the music, and secondly the loss of bass.
I'm not a bass-head but as I was using it with stock tubes I was kind of sad by the lack of punchiness of certain tracks but glad because of the more accurate sound of it and also the improved soundstage.
Another thing is that it sounds different, I can't really explain it but the sounds is kind of different, it's very subtle but I can hear it, especially on solo instruments like a piano or a violin.

So to the people who are skeptical like me, I say give it a try !
beyersmile.png

Nov 21, 2012 at 5:07 AM Post #173 of 232
I have also ordered this tube last week end, waiting to receive it from UK !

M8100/CV4010/6AK5W MULLARD NOS MATCHED PAIR

Here the description for this tube, from the Little Dot thread :

3.8 Mullard M8100 / CV4010

The Mullard house sound is much warmer compared to the GE tubes reviewed above. The warm tone is especially complimentary to female vocals where sultry voices such as Norah Jones and Dianna Krell’s come across as positively seductive. With rock music, the full body bass has a visceral impact.  These tubes don’t have the sweetest treble of the EF95 family (that title goes to the 6ZH1P-EV), but they nevertheless manage to give the music a sense of presence and body. Trumpets and strings unfortunately don’t have the most prat or the most natural decay but these are sins of omission that I could happily live with.
                Bass: 20
                Mid: 20
                Treble: 18
                Detail: 18
                Soundstage: 18
                Total: 94/100

Source : http://www.head-fi.org/t/563884/little-dot-tube-amps-vacuum-tube-rolling-guide

Hope I will enjoy them also :)

Nov 21, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #174 of 232
If you have balance issues, check this out:

Use a right-angle allen wrench to adjust the balance (very carefully due to high voltage). I had to do it in mine. Tubes vary slightly and the balance helps greatly. It seems to get out of adjustment after time too.

Nov 27, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #176 of 232
Quote:
I have also ordered this tube last week end, waiting to receive it from UK !

M8100/CV4010/6AK5W MULLARD NOS MATCHED PAIR

Here the description for this tube, from the Little Dot thread :

3.8 Mullard M8100 / CV4010

The Mullard house sound is much warmer compared to the GE tubes reviewed above. The warm tone is especially complimentary to female vocals where sultry voices such as Norah Jones and Dianna Krell’s come across as positively seductive. With rock music, the full body bass has a visceral impact.  These tubes don’t have the sweetest treble of the EF95 family (that title goes to the 6ZH1P-EV), but they nevertheless manage to give the music a sense of presence and body. Trumpets and strings unfortunately don’t have the most prat or the most natural decay but these are sins of omission that I could happily live with.
                Bass: 20
                Mid: 20
                Treble: 18
                Detail: 18
                Soundstage: 18
                Total: 94/100

Source : http://www.head-fi.org/t/563884/little-dot-tube-amps-vacuum-tube-rolling-guide

Hope I will enjoy them also :)

I actually just bought the same tubes for my A1.  I have the Raytheons and Tung-Sols as well.  Looking forward to seeing how these new ones compare, as I like bass.  I saw that Little Dot tube rolling guide for the first time today and that prompted the purchase.  For $24.00 shipped, why not.  See if I like them more than the Tung-Sols. 

Dec 4, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #177 of 232
I am quite curious about putting the m8100 / CV41010's into an A1. 

I am thinking of eventually getting the sun hdam for my friends D2 and WE 396A and then putting the M8100's into the A1.

Dec 6, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #178 of 232
Has anyone compared the headphone amp on these to the audio-gd fun.  I am considering both but leaning toward the A1 because of the speaker amp.  I already have a decent dac, but probably not as good as the fun.

Dec 12, 2012 at 6:02 AM Post #179 of 232
As long as you have a decent DAC there is no need to upgrade, you won't see the difference.
I didn't not compared myself the A1 with others SS amp, but generally the opinions of tube sound vs SS sound is this one :

SS amps can sound harsh but ensure the maximum fidelity.
Tube amps sound sweet, they are more musical, but this musicality is distortion, hence less fidelity to the recording.

So basically the A1 is Hybrid meaning it combines both ss and tube sound.

However it has a THD of 0,1% which could be better. And audio-gd's product THD is much lower.
Hence, it more like "do you want an euphonic sound ? or an analytic one, with high fidelity to the recording ?" although I think audio-gd has some sound tuning for more euphonic sound on their amps.

Dec 17, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #180 of 232
Well, I bought one, arrived last week. I bought the upgraded tube. All I can say, this is best kept secret for tubes amp! Pair with my Arcam rdac.The headphone amp. is killer, is blown my X-Can v8 out the window (although X-Can does win with midrange). Conidering, the X-Can v8
is over twice cost, hand-off the winning. On to hybrid amp, it kill my Denon integrated amp used the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 The cans are the HD-650 and AKG K701. Probably my best for this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back