Matrix Quattro DAC: Unboxing and initial impressions
Aug 25, 2011 at 9:24 AM Post #46 of 120
I am currently running my Quattro through a similar set up, where it is used solely as a DAC for a dedicated amp. I've also been switching back and forth the Benchmark and Matrix with a set of monitoring IEMs and once again have found it difficult to distinguish between the DAC functions of the two when the audio signal has been output to my amp (it's a tube as well).

If you're looking at brand new units then go for the Quattro. Although I've seen used first gen DAC-1 units on auction for about $650-700, I find having a USB input on the Quattro makes it more versatile. All in all both DACs are evenly matched, even if the Benchmark has more of a show-off factor attached to it 
smile.gif

Aug 25, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #47 of 120

Quote:
> Outputs can be either balanced XLR or single ended RCA

how do you switch from one to the other?
I'm considering the DAC/AMP combo and would use the balanced XLR for the Quattro Matrix AMP -> balanced headphone chain, reserving the single ended RCA for a different preamp -> amp -> speakers chain

thx

I think both are active all the time. The "source" button will cycle through all the inputs, but there is no provision for switching between RCA and XLR outputs. I'll have to experiment more to double check though. 

A potential solution is to just turn the separate preamp and amp off when not listening to speakers. If those units require significant warm up time (tubes for example), then that might not work. 

Aug 26, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #48 of 120

Quote:
I am currently running my Quattro through a similar set up, where it is used solely as a DAC for a dedicated amp. I've also been switching back and forth the Benchmark and Matrix with a set of monitoring IEMs and once again have found it difficult to distinguish between the DAC functions of the two when the audio signal has been output to my amp (it's a tube as well).

If you're looking at brand new units then go for the Quattro. Although I've seen used first gen DAC-1 units on auction for about $650-700, I find having a USB input on the Quattro makes it more versatile. All in all both DACs are evenly matched, even if the Benchmark has more of a show-off factor attached to it 
smile.gif

smile.gif
  Show off factor, indeed!  Oh, who needs it!

I'm really leaning in the direction of the Quattro, it seems like an excellent buy all the way around.  Yes, I do like the versatility of the USB input.  The Benchmark with that input costs considerably more than the Quattro does!  Nice.

Aug 28, 2011 at 6:37 AM Post #49 of 120

Quote:

I think both are active all the time. The "source" button will cycle through all the inputs, but there is no provision for switching between RCA and XLR outputs. I'll have to experiment more to double check though. 

thank you, I would appreciate a confirmation.
your either/or wording in the review got me concerned about requiring a cable swap, which would be a showstopper for me

Aug 31, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #50 of 120
Heya, I'm surprised this All-in-one unit is not getting more hype. It has all the features I ideally would like to get in an all-in-one package: DAC, Pre-amp with balanced XLR outs for connecting to powered monitors, the addition af an analog input, headphone amp, and even a remote!

Unfortunately maybe for me is that it and the Benchmark it emulates from the little bit I have read seem to be classed towards the "neutral and detailed sound rather than warm and smooth", and it is alas warm and smooth I think I am looking for (or at the least trying to avoid bright sounding and/or sterile vocals). So I wonder if this has any ability to tailor the sound with rollable op-amps or jumper settings or anything like that?

edit: just out of curiosity I checked amazon.com to see if Matrix products were available through them and it looks like Tam Audio "just launched" a storefront there, although the Quattro is not yet listed.

Aug 31, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #51 of 120
project86, do you have any new impressions from a comparison of the Matrix Quattro to the Yulong D100?  I'd be very interested to know.  The Yulong just might be the "warm and musical" piece that runswithaliens is looking for.

Aug 31, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #52 of 120

Quote:
Heya, I'm surprised this All-in-one unit is not getting more hype. It has all the features I ideally would like to get in an all-in-one package: DAC, Pre-amp with balanced XLR outs for connecting to powered monitors, the addition af an analog input, headphone amp, and even a remote!

Unfortunately maybe for me is that it and the Benchmark it emulates from the little bit I have read seem to be classed towards the "neutral and detailed sound rather than warm and smooth", and it is alas warm and smooth I think I am looking for (or at the least trying to avoid bright sounding and/or sterile vocals). So I wonder if this has any ability to tailor the sound with rollable op-amps or jumper settings or anything like that?

edit: just out of curiosity I checked amazon.com to see if Matrix products were available through them and it looks like Tam Audio "just launched" a storefront there, although the Quattro is not yet listed.

If anything, that would be the Matrix Mini I's strong point: warm and smooth. And the mini I is also a DAC, Pre-amp with balanced XLR outs for connecting to powered monitors,  headphone amp, and even an optional remote. The Mini I does not have analog in, though.

PA

Sep 1, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #53 of 120
Thanks for the suggestions Sarals and Ph1lerAudi0 - much appreciated. I don't think the Yulong would work for me since it seems it's analog outputs are not variable for use as a pre-amp. The Matrix Mini I does look promissing - although one person claimed it was bright sounding with his monitors, but many others were calling it a very analog sounding DAC.

Am considering a tube amp/pre-amp which might smooth things out - which would then free up the selection process on a separate DAC (currently using an E-MU 0404usb for all 3 duties).  Still waiting to read more reports on the Quattro though as well.

Sep 1, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #54 of 120
EDIT - oops, wrong thread. Nando 1970 asked about switching between balanced and single ended. I confirmed today that both seem to be always active, all the time. That's probably a good thing for some and a bad thing for others.

I apologize for the lack of comparisons or further impressions.... I've just been crazy busy on some other projects. But I will be working on it more soon. And I do have an announcement about the Matrix Quattro DAC and amp that I think some people will enjoy. Stay tuned. 

Sep 2, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #55 of 120

Quote:
I apologize for the lack of comparisons or further impressions.... I've just been crazy busy on some other projects. But I will be working on it more soon. And I do have an announcement about the Matrix Quattro DAC and amp that I think some people will enjoy. Stay tuned. 

No worries, Project86! 

An announcement?  My interest is piqued!

Sep 2, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #57 of 120
Sep 11, 2011 at 5:10 AM Post #60 of 120
I've just bought the yulong D100 and i am so impressed by it. Amazing value. Anyway this has opened my eyes to the matrix quattro. Would love to hear a more in depth comparison to the yulong by anyone who has or has heard both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back