Matrix Quattro DAC: Unboxing and initial impressions
Apr 25, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #91 of 120
Yeah I noticed that. I'm not sure why - they are great bang for the buck gear in my opinion.

I just got mine back from the loaner program where I sent them around to get opinions. So I'll be listening to them more often now. Currently running balanced out to the HiFiMAN HE400 and it sounds quite nice.

Apr 26, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #93 of 120
I've seen one of these 2nd hand and am going to see if I can nab it. I am in between DACs at the moment, due to my upgrade failing to work properly, and have decided I want something end-gamey... but want to wait and see what this Schiit statement DAC is like. The Quattro looks like it will fill the gap till the end of the year. Probably be sold by the time I contact the seller lol... there's also a Benchmark DAC1 for a good price from the same place so if I don't get one I'll hopefully get the other.

Apr 28, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #95 of 120
I've seen one of these 2nd hand and am going to see if I can nab it. I am in between DACs at the moment, due to my upgrade failing to work properly, and have decided I want something end-gamey... but want to wait and see what this Schiit statement DAC is like. The Quattro looks like it will fill the gap till the end of the year. Probably be sold by the time I contact the seller lol... there's also a Benchmark DAC1 for a good price from the same place so if I don't get one I'll hopefully get the other.

Cool, let us know what you end up snagging. I still enjoy the Quattro for what it is - a great sounding unit with tons of features. It can't quite match the D18 on sound, but the D18 has significantly less inputs, outputs, and extras.

May 16, 2012 at 6:42 AM Post #99 of 120
I just thought i'd add my experience with the Matrix Quattro for those that may be interested in using it with active monitors.
I've owned the Quattro for about a year now, and mainly use it with ATC active monitors.
I had a pair of scm50asl's, but now have some PA-65's.

I use an Arcam fmj cd33 as my cd source, and feed the Dac with with an A&B systems Black diamond coax cable. I also feed the dac with an optical cable from my satellite box, and USB from my laptop.
I use the Quattro as a pre amp into my ATC monitors using Evidence audio Lyric HG xlr cables, and have the Dacs internal jumpers at the 0db.
Before i bought the Quattro, i had an ATC CA2 pre amp.

One thing i noticed about the Quattro, was that it took a while to warm up/break in. 100hrs or so. It sounded very flat at first.
I leave the Dac on all the time to keep it warm, and have noticed that if i go on holiday and un-plug the dac for a length of time, it takes a couple of days to sound right again once its plugged back in.
Decent power cords and audio grade fuses also have a large impact on the performance of the Dac. I use a Wireworld Electra 5.2 power cord and a Hifi-Tuning Supreme3 fuse in the Dac.
I also tried a Ps Audio Ac-12 power cord on the Dac, but found the Wireworld to be better.

I don't have any other Dac experience to compare the Quattro to, only my experience using the Arcam cd33 with a passive volume control into the ATC's, and also with the CA2 pre amp.
The Matrix Quattro > ATC combination is a good one though. The resolution available is stunning. I can only imagine what a more costly Dac like a Zodiac Gold can do.

If anybody is looking for a relatively cheap Dac/pre solution for some active speakers, along with the added bonus of a decent headphone amp as described by others on Head-fi, then the Matrix Quattro is a bargain.

Cheers
Matt

Sep 27, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #100 of 120
New to digital hifi grew up in a Macintosh family.
Planned setup: MBP > DAC/Pre > XLR > Swan T200b speakers > Swan Sub200a subwoofer.

Looking for DAC for a tube amp sound and noticed this thread. I was leaning toward the mini-I until I heard about the Quattro. Any recommendations would be helpful I listen to jazz and I'm beginning to buy high def flac files. Feedback in cabling, input options, settings and speakers if other active monitors would be better suited.

Thanks

Sep 27, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #101 of 120
I'm using my Quattro Dac with a pair of ATC active monitors. 
I'm using Evidence Audio Lyric HG xlr cables, Wireworld Electra 5.2 mains cable, and Hifi Tuning Supreme3 Ac fuse. The cabling and fuse transform the Dac, making it even better.

Cheers
Matt

Sep 27, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #102 of 120
Your setup with vs without the dac what's the overall diff ?

Oct 9, 2012 at 5:10 AM Post #103 of 120
Quote:
If anybody is looking for a relatively cheap Dac/pre solution for some active speakers, along with the added bonus of a decent headphone amp as described by others on Head-fi, then the Matrix Quattro is a bargain.

Cheers
Matt

Hi Matt,

I'm interested in the "downsizing" possibilities of the Quattro, and of course, would love to know how it compares with the M-DAC.

In a previous post you talked of the diffrence between Balanced and RCA outputs, is it similiar to the older dacmagic in this respect, i.e. the XLR is better quality , and into RCA inputs you need an adaptor cable ?

Do you know if these cables are available ready made ?

Thanks

Peter

Dec 23, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #104 of 120
@project86,
when will you post your finished review about the matrix quattro dac?, I'm really interested in it, thinking about getting one second hand, but still can't make up my mind, I'm also considering the AudioLab M-dac, witch costs quite a bit more money 
triportsad.gif

Dec 24, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #105 of 120
Quote:
@project86,
when will you post your finished review about the matrix quattro dac?, I'm really interested in it, thinking about getting one second hand, but still can't make up my mind, I'm also considering the AudioLab M-dac, witch costs quite a bit more money 
triportsad.gif

It's one of those projects that is on my "to do" list but never seems to happen. 

Have you read the other reviews from the loaner tour? Some of them are repeated in the "head gear" section so they are easier to find. Overall it's a good unit that I enjoy, though it does seem to prioritize features over pure sound quality. For example the Resonessence Labs Concero sounds better but is very feature-limited. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back