Matrix Quattro DAC: Unboxing and initial impressions
Dec 24, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #106 of 120
Hi Zsubbo,

I've been a happy Quattro owner for just over a year now. Could I ask what sort of equipment will you be pairing it up with? Also what type of music would you be enjoying through this unit? I'd be glad to offer you what my impressions of the Quattro are.

Dec 25, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #107 of 120
Thanks for the replies!,  I've read every impression about the quattro dac witch I could find on-line, but I'm still unsure of it.

I want to use the DAC from USB, I'd like to have a reasonably  good headphone-amp integrated in it (something close to the O2). Currently I have the O2 as headphone amp, witch I'll change for the wire bal-bal, or other supposedly flat sounding headphone-amp, like the Gilmore light or something from vioelectric. The headphones I'm using are: Grado sr225 , Sennheiser HD600 and Akg K1000.

Here http://www.last.fm/user/Zsubbo are the musics I'm listening to, mostly rock, punk, metal and some other genres, few of my records are good quality, so I use the K1000s rarely.

PS.:I'll look into this concero dac, seems interesting.

Dec 26, 2012 at 5:22 AM Post #108 of 120
Umm...I managed to obtain a Quattro from the Head-fi sales forums but I don't know how to change the voltages to work in a 230-240V environment. I got it off a US member who was using it with US voltages. I know it does work with AUS voltages since several audio stores down here sell them. Just don't know how to do it. Could someone help me?

Dec 26, 2012 at 6:04 AM Post #109 of 120
[size=small] You only need to remove the fuse cover (very close to the power socket), turn it 90 degrees and insert it again. If you check closer you will see a small arrow pointing to the selected voltage.[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] Cheers[/size]

Dec 26, 2012 at 6:35 AM Post #110 of 120
Quote:
[size=small] You only need to remove the fuse cover (very close to the power socket), turn it 90 degrees and insert it again. If you check closer you will see a small arrow pointing to the selected voltage.[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] Cheers[/size]

Ah, so all I need to do is to set the arrow next to the 230-240V and turn it so that the arrow on the outside of the fuse cover meets the arrow next to the voltage I want?

Dec 26, 2012 at 7:06 AM Post #113 of 120
My Matrix Quatro DAC came from factory with a 1A 250V fuse but the specifications say 0,5A 250V. If you want to be 100% sure wait for more feedback. If not, you can buy the 1A that I was using for a few months and I had no issue at all.

Feb 2, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #117 of 120
Quote:
Yes, I've tried several but the unit doesn't seem to respond.

Did you ever get this taken care of? If it didn't respond to new power cables, then an RMA would be necessary. Hopefully it is all straightened by now.

Speaking of RMAs - Matrix has a new distributor for the USA. HERE is a link to their website. Orders will still ship from the factory in China but any type of technical support or return shipping for RMA will be handled by the local agent in New Jersey. This is kind of a big deal in my opinion, because return shipping on stuff like this can be rather expensive. 

Feb 2, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #118 of 120
Unfortunately no, the original owner (whose address I still have) has not replied to my repeated PMs or Currawong's PMs. He had not provided me the original receipt. Without that I cannot get RMA from Matrix. I live in Australia and as far as I can tell, no local warranty place exists here.

Feb 3, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #119 of 120
Quote:
Unfortunately no, the original owner (whose address I still have) has not replied to my repeated PMs or Currawong's PMs. He had not provided me the original receipt. Without that I cannot get RMA from Matrix. I live in Australia and as far as I can tell, no local warranty place exists here.

Bummer. Sorry to hear it. 

Nov 18, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #120 of 120
Hello! Thank you all for this wonderful tread, I think I might bite the bullet and buy the Quattro from the German PC HI-FI SHOP, since I am located in Europe.Would you please give me some advice? My humble AKG K450 with OCC cable upgrade are nothing special, and I would like to use the Quattro as an USB DAC.I currently have the Arcam rPAC, and while splendid for the money, it has poor bass control and tends to be warm.I tried the bigger rDAC and got even more disappointed - even with an upgraded PSU, it just digged depper than the rPAC, that is all, no major change.I am after bags of detail, as rock, metal and eurodance music is often being mastered very compressed and too flat.I have head my speakers with a very expensive CD player, and I will never forget that sound...Out of bookshelf speakers like Monitor Audio BX2, MS AVIANO 2, QUADRAL 330 and PSB B5, I have clearly picked my speakers for their neutral and analogue sound.Do you think the Quattro is a significant upgrade, or should I go even higher? The Yulong D18 has no USB... My system now is :

Speakers : Boston Acoustics A25 with Atlas Hyper 2.0 cables

Amplifier : The legendary HK 6550

DAC : Arcam rPAC + Furutech ADL Formula 2 USB cable + Atlas Hyper Asymmetrical OCC analogue interconnect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back