Matrix Quattro DAC: Unboxing and initial impressions
Sep 11, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #61 of 120

Quote:
I've just bought the yulong D100 and i am so impressed by it. Amazing value. Anyway this has opened my eyes to the matrix quattro. Would love to hear a more in depth comparison to the yulong by anyone who has or has heard both.

I plan on adding my thoughts about the D100/Quattro comparison when I get some time. Both are very nice units, so you can't really lose either way. I do feel that the Quattro is sonically superior in some noticeable ways, but the D100 is significantly cheaper which can't be ignored. The Quattro has some added features, specifically the pre-amp function with remote, as well as analog inputs. 

Sep 24, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #62 of 120
Regarding the gain which is adjustable by internal jumpers..

I am using the DAC as a preamp into my 100W monoblocks using the single ended outputs.

Most of the music needs to be played with the volume control at 3\4 to 7\8 of the max setting.

I read in the instructions that the gain adjustment is for the XLR outputs but it does not mention the single ended outputs...

Anyone know if the gain can be increased on the single ended out?

Sep 24, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #63 of 120
Hi guido

Ive had my Quattro Dac just over 2 weeks now.
I'm using it as a pre amp into my ATC scm50asl's and JL Audio f112 sub.

At first i was using the XLR outputs into the ATC's, and the RCA outputs into the sub(using rca to xlr converters to use xlr cable into the sub), but the RCA outputs aren't gain adjustable so weren't giving as much as i would have liked into the sub.

So i adapted a pair of female xlr's and soldered the sub and speaker cables into a single pair of female xlr's.
I now have the jumpers at 0db and get normal decent listening levels at 9 o'clock on the Quattro.
I feel the Quattro sounds best with the jumpers at 0db.

Does your power amp have a facility to adjust its input gain to better match the quattro?
Or could you use xlr to rca converters and take advantage of the Quattro's xlr outputs and adjustable gain?

Cheers
Matt

Sep 24, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #64 of 120
Thanks Matt

My power amps do not have an adjustable input gain so the best solution for me is probably to make myself a set of XLR-RCA cables ...

Sep 24, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #65 of 120
Hi guido

Yes, i think that is probably your best option.
The difference between the xlr's and rca's is HUGE, especially on the 0db setting. 

How are you finding the Dac otherwise?
I'm really enjoying it. Great value for money 
bigsmile_face.gif

Cheers
Matt

Sep 27, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #66 of 120
Thanks Matt

I will make up a set of XLR-RCA cables using some Siltech RCA interconnects I have spare.

Any idea which pins on the male XLRs I need to connect to the 2 conductors in the RCA cables?

Where do I connect the cable shielding ?

Do the following 2 methods look correct?

Sep 27, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #67 of 120
Hi guido

I think either method should work.

My xlr to rca converters are wired like your second diagram, but some equipment is supposed to be connected via the first diagram with a floating gnd as far as i know.

Cheers
Matt

Oct 2, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #68 of 120
this was recommended on another forum:

Don't use the above configuration with your DAC. Those connections are meant for transformer drive, where your DAC is likely to be actively driven. Connecting the - output to ground will effectively short out one phase. A better way to do it would be to only use pin 2 as hot and pin 1 as ground. Leave pin 3 unconnected.

Any comments?

Oct 7, 2011 at 9:19 AM Post #71 of 120
Hi there, thanks to all of you for creating such detailed and worthy informations here. I am pretty sure the Matrix Quattro DAC is a steal at that price, considered it is a full substitue for a grown up benchmark PRE1.

Now i am wondering about the overall quality and estimated lifespan of that DAC, on the one side it is made of same high quality parts like more expensive brand name hifi gear - on the other side i am no expert and maybe you can tell me what you think of it, i mean somewhere there has to be a trade-off, right?

Or is it just the lack of brand name, cheaper production costs, less design/research costs that make this DAC "cheap"?

Please don't get me wrong, it is just too good to believe what i am reading here. Maybe i should just close my eyes and stop reading :wink:

Oct 7, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #72 of 120

Quote:
Hi there, thanks to all of you for creating such detailed and worthy informations here. I am pretty sure the Matrix Quattro DAC is a steal at that price, considered it is a full substitue for a grown up benchmark PRE1.

Now i am wondering about the overall quality and estimated lifespan of that DAC, on the one side it is made of same high quality parts like more expensive brand name hifi gear - on the other side i am no expert and maybe you can tell me what you think of it, i mean somewhere there has to be a trade-off, right?

Or is it just the lack of brand name, cheaper production costs, less design/research costs that make this DAC "cheap"?

Please don't get me wrong, it is just too good to believe what i am reading here. Maybe i should just close my eyes and stop reading :wink:

I think you nailed it. I've owned a DAC1 (early version, prior to USB) and I honestly don't feel the Quattro is lacking in any area comparatively. Stay tuned though, as there will be more impressions coming soon, including those from some people who have a current Benchmark unit for direct comparison. 

Oct 9, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #75 of 120
I once owned a Eastern electric minimax ss/tube buffer selectable dac, and really liked it.  can anyone comment on how these two might compare.
i remember paying around $750 for it a year or two ago.  there is now a "plus" model out though i am referring to the original.

I am looking for a DAC to go with a cavalli audio Stacker II tube hybrid amp, and my LCD-2's

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back