Matrix Quattro Dac, Amp
Jul 20, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #46 of 82

project86 and guido, would you say the Dac /w built in amp is bright/detailed, slightly warm or neutral? And how do you think low impedance headphones would perform with it? 

Would love to read a review soon about this. 

Might actually end up getting one. 

Jul 20, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #47 of 82
This Benchmarkest unit seems to pack a lot functionality. It is important for me to know if it does native 88.2kHz files since I am quite a lot of them otherwise I will have to get a USB/spdif converter like the Musical fidelity V-link.
Can the current owners check if it locks on 88.2kHz via usb?

Jul 20, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #48 of 82

Quote:
This Benchmarkest unit seems to pack a lot functionality. It is important for me to know if it does native 88.2kHz files since I am quite a lot of them otherwise I will have to get a USB/spdif converter like the Musical fidelity V-link.
Can the current owners check if it locks on 88.2kHz via usb?

I'm almost positive that it does, but I'll double check and let you know. My Yulong D100 uses the same TAS1020B USB receiver and it handles 88.2 signals. And I believe the Benchmark DAC 1USB/Pre/HDR models do as well. 

Jul 21, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #49 of 82
Hum sounds promising if the USB interface is a good transport. I need a dac preamp for my studio Dynaudio Bm6a studio monitors and an amp for my HD650; just what the doctor ordered! 

Jul 21, 2011 at 5:19 AM Post #50 of 82
Ok...taking the plunge...have odered the Quattro amp as well as a balanced cable for my HD800s
blink.gif

Will report back in a week or so..

Jul 21, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #51 of 82
hooking it up to this  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130549586272#shId

Jul 22, 2011 at 4:35 AM Post #52 of 82
I've been running my Quattro Dac in for nearly two weeks now and have clocked approx 170 hours, I use a mac mini running puremusic and ipod classic/nds1 - AIFF together with fully run in K702 with double helix sxc cable. Up until about 150 hours I found the dac a bit strident, hard and glassy in the upper mids and treble using k702, but it has since turned the corner and the sound is now very impressive, the sound has relaxed and opened up, the glassiniess has gone and the beauty of the class a output is now shining through.

The onboard amp drives the 702 admirably, bass is genuinely deep and taught and dynamics are handled with ease and with sufficient grunt to satisfy, my last amp was a Burson 160D and the quattro is the equal sonically with slightly more insight save for a touch of the 160D absolute authority and class a sumptuousness.

I imagine that paired with the quattro amp in balanced config, this combo will be dynamite.

...And no bump through the speakers when powering up as with the mini-i...what's not to like about this amp? Awesome value and highly recommended.

Jul 22, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #54 of 82

Quote:

project86 and guido, would you say the Dac /w built in amp is bright/detailed, slightly warm or neutral? And how do you think low impedance headphones would perform with it? 

Would love to read a review soon about this. 

Might actually end up getting one. 

Sorry, I somehow missed this post.

In my limited use the built in amp seems very neutral. It does a good job with my 25 ohm Lawton LA7000 and the 12 ohm UM Merlin.

I'm working on a review but I've been super busy. But thus far I'm very very impressed with both the DAC and Quattro amp. More to come soon!

Jul 23, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #55 of 82
I started another thread about the Quattro DAC:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/564028/matrix-quattro-dac-unboxing-and-initial-impressions#post_7628167

My intent is not to hijack this thread at all - I just want to make it more accessible for someone looking for information about the DAC, rather than having them wade through to page 4 of this thread. My thread will eventually turn into a full review thread, and I'll also be starting a similar one to cover the Quattro amp. 

Feel free to continue discussion here, or jump over there, whatever seems right. 

EDIT

I also have a thread up dedicated to the Quattro amp:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/564151/matrix-quattro-amp-unboxing-and-initial-impressions#post_7629888

Again, discussion can take place wherever you think it is best.

Jul 28, 2011 at 9:14 AM Post #56 of 82
I am trying to play 192kHz FLACs into the Quattro Dac using the Toslink mini output from a new iMac.

It can only select up to 96kHz in the Audio Midi setup panel under "Built-in output" so the iMac must be downsampling to 96kHz

I am using Decibel to play the Flacs from the iMac.

How do I get a true 192kHz output on the Toslink?

I know the Quattro DAC only supports 96kHz on USB but it definitely supports 192 on the optical..

Jul 28, 2011 at 9:55 AM Post #59 of 82
Most toslink solutions are very unstable at high bandwidth. Most computer based toslink ports I`ve used are unable to connect at 192 unless the planets are aligned. My guess would be that the mac transmitter is of a lesser quality (most computer based optical transmitters are unfortunately). You may try a better or shorter cable but you may just end up with the same result.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back