Matrix Quattro Dac, Amp
Jun 28, 2011 at 10:20 AM Post #16 of 82

Quote:

The Matrix Quattro Balanced amp with twice the amplifiers for the balanced output + remote capability, seems reasonable compare to the M-Stage.
However, the Quattro DAC is more than twice the price of the Mini-i, both have balanced out and remote.
confused.gif

The prices seem reasonable enough to me, considering what you are getting. Plus you can't just judge on features alone. Matrix obviously feels that this is their most ambitious design yet and that it should be positioned higher than their Cube and Mini-i, as well as the Yulong D100.

All their products until now have offered great bang for the buck. If that continues with the Quattro units, they will be very good indeed.

Jun 28, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #17 of 82
Ach, too bad, it is as I feared: the Quattro DAC is a bit too much for my wallet. Oh well, I doubt I'll be disappointed with the Mini-I. And it seems the Quattro is already out of stock. I wonder if it sounds $340 dollars better than the Mini-I.

Jun 30, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #20 of 82
I agree, especially if the Mini-I can be customized for even cheaper. By the way, off-topic for you Hellenback since you seem very experienced with the Mini-I from the other 53-page thread that I've been reading, any experience in comparing the Mini-I to the cheaper TubeMagic DAC from Maverick?

Jul 1, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #21 of 82
I've decided to take the plunge on the Quattro DAC and amp. I've got some unused gear that I've been meaning to unload anyway so that will offset the Quattro combo some. I am going to hold off on the balanced cable for now - I already have a nice aftermarket balanced HD600 cable, so I'll wait until Tam Audio has an adapter to go from my 4-pin XLR to the Quattro style dual TRS. That should be simpler and cheaper. 

I suspect that the Quattro DAC will be superior to my much loved Yulong D100. But we'll see. I'm not sure how the Quattro amp will compare to the Yulong A100 - obviously the balanced option puts it ahead in features, but based on pure SQ the A100 will be hard to beat. We'll see. 

Jul 1, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #22 of 82

Quote:
I've decided to take the plunge on the Quattro DAC and amp. I've got some unused gear that I've been meaning to unload anyway so that will offset the Quattro combo some. I am going to hold off on the balanced cable for now - I already have a nice aftermarket balanced HD600 cable, so I'll wait until Tam Audio has an adapter to go from my 4-pin XLR to the Quattro style dual TRS. That should be simpler and cheaper. 

I suspect that the Quattro DAC will be superior to my much loved Yulong D100. But we'll see. I'm not sure how the Quattro amp will compare to the Yulong A100 - obviously the balanced option puts it ahead in features, but based on pure SQ the A100 will be hard to beat. We'll see. 

WOW! Congrat, you might be the first buyer of the quattro system. :D

Jul 2, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #23 of 82

Quote:
WOW! Congrat, you might be the first buyer of the quattro system. :D

Thanks! We'll see if I get serial #1. Probably not, since those usually go to various employees, beta testers, etc. 

I will actually get the Quattro DAC first, and then the amp in a week or so. They got a slightly staggered release for some reason. Either way, I'm a bit excited. 

Jul 3, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #24 of 82

Quote:
I agree, especially if the Mini-I can be customized for even cheaper. By the way, off-topic for you Hellenback since you seem very experienced with the Mini-I from the other 53-page thread that I've been reading, any experience in comparing the Mini-I to the cheaper TubeMagic DAC from Maverick?

No, not the Maverick but I had a DacMagic and found the Mini-i to have better reception/lock of the digital signal over long distance (15->20ft.) coax, likely due to the transformer vs. wall-wart. I like the warmer sound better as well as it's ability to accept/transmit native resolution.  I sold the DacMagic.

Jul 4, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #26 of 82

Quote:

Can't wait to see your review.
Really enjoyed your other reviews and read nearly all of them.

I just bought a D100 and i'd like to hear how it compares with the Quattro DAC.

Thanks! I've got a bunch coming up, been pretty busy.

I too am curious to see how the D100 compares to the Quattro DAC. Both seem well designed and implemented on paper but the Quattro has some extra features that might give it the edge (remote, variable line out, analog inputs, etc). That's assuming the sound is comparable. 

Jul 8, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #27 of 82

Quote:
No, not the Maverick but I had a DacMagic and found the Mini-i to have better reception/lock of the digital signal over long distance (15->20ft.) coax, likely due to the transformer vs. wall-wart. I like the warmer sound better as well as it's ability to accept/transmit native resolution.  I sold the DacMagic.

Thanks for the info, Hellenback. I'm ordering a Mini-i tomorrow.

Jul 9, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #28 of 82
ok, am about to order a Quattro DAC to feed my Mapletree Purist  > HD800s.

What will be the best way to connect it to an iMac?

USB or mini-Toslink??

Arte there any reviews posted anywhere?  Google comes up empty on the English searches...

Jul 10, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #29 of 82

Quote:
ok, am about to order a Quattro DAC to feed my Mapletree Purist  > HD800s.

What will be the best way to connect it to an iMac?

USB or mini-Toslink??

Arte there any reviews posted anywhere?  Google comes up empty on the English searches...

USB or Toslink should both sound comparable. Toslink supposedly handles 24/192 while USB tops out at 24/96. Aside from that just pick whichever is more convenient.

There are no reviews yet. I just got the Quattro DAC a few days ago and I have much listening to do before I can review it. First impressions are that it is at least as good as my Yulong D100 in the sound department, perhaps a bit better. And the features, build quality, and appearance are all great.

I also have the matching Quattro balanced amp on the way, and should receive it this week. Now that's an exciting product - balanced design at under $400? Awesome. I got the matching adapter so I can use a balanced 4-pin XLR cable with it. 

Jul 11, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #30 of 82
Project86,

You are killing me :wink:  When do you think you will have some more thoughts on the Quattro?  I am especially interested in its prowess as a preamp.  My particular needs are about 50% speakers and 50% headphones.

I have a set of speakers (Quad 22ls) and AMPs (Outlaw Monoblocks) and nothing to plug them into.  The head phones will be a birthday present (have a set of Sony MDR-V700s but will look to move to a set of closed cans in teh $300 Range).  I am looking hard for something that will help me dridge that gap and the Quatro looks like it could do just that.

Thanks

Jeff

(Of course you know I am kidding, I have seen your other reviews and look forward to this one.  But any previews would be great.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back