Matrix Quattro Dac, Amp
Jun 24, 2011 at 5:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 82

csoller

New Head-Fier
Hi folks,

I came across these puppies yesterday, but sadly I know nothing about them. Maybe you can figure them out.

Official homepage of the Matrix Quattro:
  1. Dac
  2. Amp

Here's the google translation:

Quattro Dac:

MATRIX MATRIX QUATTRO audio system is designed to develop a set of desktop, high-quality audio playback system. 
QUATTRO audio system includes a QUATTRO DAC and a QUATTRO AMP, the appearance of two hosts with the same design elements with the same external dimensions, which can also be used independently. 
QUATTRO DAC is a combination of high-speed digital signal processing technology, multi-D / A converters, with a variety of input and output ports can be used with a variety of devices. 
QUATTRO audio system through careful circuit design, high quality devices use, professional-grade playback, the traditional audio equipment to a new height. 
MATRIX QUATTRO DAC with top AD1853 24Bit/192kHz D / A conversion unit, fully balanced architecture. Oversampling unit within the ASRC, with MATRIX CPLD unique algorithm can effectively reduce the input signal jitter, four high-speed signal PCB layout, sophisticated design QUATTRO DAC has the following features:

• Low Jitter rate with a professional digital receiver chip and independent clock. 
• has a fiber optic, coaxial, USB, AES / EBU and analog inputs and a variety of input methods, and automatic detection of input. 
• USB supports up to 24BIT/96kHz sample input, other input port supports up to 24BIT/192kHz sampling. 
• Automatic de-emphasis, can be automatically 32,44.1,48,96 K sampling rate signal for automatic de-emphasis control. 
• Internal high-speed CLPD XILINX MATRIX has its own algorithm, sampling rate boost circuit with ASRC reduce jitter. 
• analog with balanced and unbalanced outputs can be connected to different interfaces. 
• High-quality LME49600 headphone amplifier unit can easily drive up to 600 Euro impedance headphones. 
• digital input port with ESD static protection and transformer isolation protection. 
• Analog output with low distortion audio-specific op-amp LM4562, to get the best signal playback. 
• High-quality audio NORATEL dedicated toroidal transformer, the circuit unit with an independent multi-level power supply. 
• High-quality NEUTRIK audio connectors. 
• High-quality ALPS volume potentiometer. 
• Multi-voltage compatible design. 
• with infrared remote control. 
• natural sound performance with texture, ultra-high resolving power and signal to noise ratio for you to discover the music every minute detail. Fully meet your high-quality Hi-Fi audio needs.

● Specifications 
Input port: 
Optical interface: shielded optical digital input 
Sampling rate support 24Bit 32kHz-192kHz 
BNC coaxial connector: BNC 75 ohm impedance sampling rate support 24Bit 32kHz-192kHz 
USB interface: USB-B interface, the sampling rate support 24Bit 44.1kHz-96kHz 
AES / EBU: XLR 110 ohms impedance sampling rate support 24Bit 32kHz-192kHz 
Analog Input: RCA terminal 20Hz-20kHz 47kOhms Lotus
Output port: 
RCA connector Output level: 0V-2.0V adjustable 
XLR connectors output level: 0V-4.0V adjustable (XLR interface definition: 1 = ground, 2 = hot, 3 = cold)
Frequency response: 20Hz-20KHz 
Signal to noise ratio: 114dB 
Dynamic Range: 110dB 
Distortion: <0.00056% (1kHz)
Headphone Amplifier: 
Output impedance: <0.11 Ohms 
Maximum output current: 300mA 
Gain Bandwidth:> 500kHz 
Signal to noise ratio: 106dB 
Distortion: <0.0005%
Power requirements: 
Power: AC 220V-240V 50/60Hz (AC 110V-120V 50/60Hz) 
Working power consumption: <25W 
Standby power consumption: <2W
Other specifications: 
Operating temperature: 0 - +40 ℃ 
Weight: 1.6kg 
Size: 205 × 245 × 44 (L × W × H) 
Fuse size: 5 × 20mm 250V 0.5A

Quattro Amp:

MATRIX MATRIX QUATTRO audio system is designed to develop a set of desktop, high-quality audio playback system. 
QUATTRO audio system includes a QUATTRO DAC and a QUATTRO AMP, the appearance of two hosts with the same design elements with the same external dimensions, which can also be used independently. 
QUATTRO AMP is a fully independent four-channel amplifier with balanced / unbalanced headphone amplifier, headphones with MATRIX-specific detection, designed to balance the drive design, the headset is also compatible with non-equilibrium. 
QUATTRO audio system through careful circuit design, high quality devices use, professional-grade playback, the traditional audio equipment to a new height. 
MATRIX QUATTRO AMP within the independent four-channel high-quality broadband amplifier, fully balanced architecture.MATRIX unique headset with auto-detection function, professional analog audio signal PCB layout, sophisticated design QUATTRO AMP has the following features:

• have a balanced and unbalanced analog inputs can be connected to different interfaces of analog audio equipment. 
• The headset can automatically detect the connection type, automatic conversion output. 
• Driving the two pairs of non-headphone or a balanced approach to the way Fu Pingheng headphones. 
• ultra-low distortion audio-specific op-amp to get the best signal playback. 
• High-quality audio NORATEL dedicated toroidal transformer, the circuit unit with an independent multi-level power supply. 
• High-quality NEUTRIK audio connectors. 
• High-quality ALPS volume potentiometer. 
• Multi-voltage compatible design. 
• Infrared remote control with function. 
• natural sound performance with a texture, a strong driving force to drive any size of moving coil headphones, to fully meet your high-quality Hi-Fi headphone amplifier.

● Specifications 
Analog Input: 
XLR connectors 
Frequency response: 10Hz (-0.3dB) to 35 kHz (-1dB) 
SNR:> 98dB at 0dB gain 
Distortion: <0.001% at 6mW/300 Ohms 
RCA connectors 
Input impedance: 47Kohms 
Frequency response: 10Hz (-0.3dB) to 35 kHz (-1dB) 
SNR:> 95dB at 0dB gain 
Distortion: <0.001% at 6mW/300 Ohms 
Headphone Output: 
Balanced approach 
Maximum output current: 1000mA 
Output power: 400mW/300 Ohms, 800mW/60 Ohms 
Non-equilibrium approach 
Maximum Output Current: 500mA 
Output power 200mW/300 Ohms, 400mW/60 Ohms
Power requirements: 
Power: AC 220V-240V 50/60Hz (AC 110V-120V 50/60Hz) 
Working power consumption: <25W 
Standby power consumption: <2W
Other specifications: 
Operating temperature: 0 - +40 ℃ 
Weight: 1.6kg 
Size: 205 × 245 × 44 (L × W × H) 
Fuse size: 5 × 20mm 250V 0.5A

Jun 24, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #2 of 82
We had been discussing these a bit in the Matrix Mini-i thread. Both look very interesting. I think this is Matrix stepping up their game, and trying to at least match or even exceed the Yulong D100/A100 combo. I like what I see as far as specs and features. Usually I can spot some type of obvious weak spot or limitation (USB only to 48kHz, or lower end opamps, or lack of certain features) but I don't see anything yet on these. 

I'm certainly curious about where these fall in terms of price range. 

Jun 24, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #4 of 82

Quote:
So is the Dac part better than mini-i ?  This one have AD1853 while mini-i have AD1955 x 2

We won't know until someone gets to hear it. But despite having a single DAC chip, the Quattro seems to be the more complex design overall. ASRC, FPGA with proprietary algorithm, hi-res USB, etc. It could still be positioned higher than the Mini-i. The AD1853 has been used in some very high end DACs from Nagra, Weiss, Accuphase, etc. It's all about implementation. 

Jun 25, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #8 of 82
It seems like some companies favor a built in amp section, even when they know they are releasing a matching amp (see Yulong with their D100/A100). I can see the arguments for both sides - I like that my D100 works well as a stand-alone unit, but I also wonder how much cheaper it could have been without an amp section. I guess since you already have the case and power supply accounted for, it probably doesn't add a whole lot to the cost to throw in a decent amp. 

As for copying... The Matrix M-Stage really is a clone of the Lehmann Linear. The Mini-i has only an aesthetic resemblance to the Bel Canto models, but internally is a totally original design, as is the Matrix Cube. The new Quattro DAC looks "inspired" by the Benchmark DAC-1, and I see a lot of similarities inside and out, but also some significant changes as well judging by the internal pictures. We'll have to see what they really did when it is released. As far as I can tell the Quattro amp doesn't look familiar internally.

Jun 25, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #9 of 82
Regarding the no-amp portion, as Matrix is not specifically targeting headphone users, I can see why they chose to keep it separate as it keeps the circuit board simpler and reduces the price.

Jun 27, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #10 of 82
I was about to purchase a Matrix Mini-I with remote when I came across this new Matrix DAC. Since I am the impatient sort, I emailed the Chinese Matrix website as well as a Matrix seller on eBay trying to get more information. The eBay seller claimed to have the Quattro DAC available and quoted a price of $699 (not sure I trust him on either pieces of info). The Chinese Matrix site emailed back and said the DAC would be available in mid-July and to stay tuned. No word on pricing from them.

Jun 27, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #11 of 82

Quote:
I was about to purchase a Matrix Mini-I with remote when I came across this new Matrix DAC. Since I am the impatient sort, I emailed the Chinese Matrix website as well as a Matrix seller on eBay trying to get more information. The eBay seller claimed to have the Quattro DAC available and quoted a price of $699 (not sure I trust him on either pieces of info). The Chinese Matrix site emailed back and said the DAC would be available in mid-July and to stay tuned. No word on pricing from them.

There are some shady sellers on eBay. I'd trust the reply you got directly from Matrix over some random reseller. JTAM/coolfungadget is a very trustworthy seller, aside from that you might be taking your chances a bit.

Jun 27, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #12 of 82

Quote:
JTAM/coolfungadget is a very trustworthy seller, aside from that you might be taking your chances a bit.

That's good to hear. I've been looking at the TamAudio website and read this whole thread (phew!) because I've almost narrowed down my DAC choice to the Matrix Mini-I. I fear the new Quattro DAC will be too much for my budget but I might wait to see what TamAudio's price on that is before purchasing the Mini-I. Yeah, that eBay guy sounded shady. He's probably expecting to get the DAC and saw an opportunity for some price gouging.

Jun 27, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #13 of 82

Quote:
That's good to hear. I've been looking at the TamAudio website and read this whole thread (phew!) because I've almost narrowed down my DAC choice to the Matrix Mini-I. I fear the new Quattro DAC will be too much for my budget but I might wait to see what TamAudio's price on that is before purchasing the Mini-I. Yeah, that eBay guy sounded shady. He's probably expecting to get the DAC and saw an opportunity for some price gouging.

I meant this whole thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/441960/matrix-mini-i-balanced-dac-hp-amp/750

Jun 27, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #14 of 82

I was more expensive than my expectation.
confused_face.gif

Matrix Quattro DAC
Price: $699.00
Remote Control:$5.00

http://tamaudio.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=96

Matrix Quattro Balanced Amplifier
Price: $399.00 

http://tamaudio.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=97

Jun 28, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #15 of 82

Quote:

I was more expensive than my expectation.
confused_face.gif

Matrix Quattro DAC
Price: $699.00

http://tamaudio.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=96

Matrix Quattro Balanced Amplifier
Price: $399.00 

http://tamaudio.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=97

The Matrix Quattro Balanced amp with twice the amplifiers for the balanced output + remote capability, seems reasonable compare to the M-Stage.
However, the Quattro DAC is more than twice the price of the Mini-i, both have balanced out and remote.
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back