Matrix Quattro Dac, Amp
Jul 31, 2011 at 7:36 AM Post #62 of 82
I'm using the Yulong D100. 
Is the Quattro DAC really a copy of the Benchmark DAC? How do they compare in sound?

Jul 31, 2011 at 10:29 AM Post #63 of 82

Quote:
I'm using the Yulong D100. 
Is the Quattro DAC really a copy of the Benchmark DAC? How do they compare in sound?

Some people might say copy, others would say "inspired by". Either way, they share a lot of parts, though the Quattro has some tweaks that might actually make it superior. 

Are you asking how the Quattro compares to the Benchmark DAC1, or to the Yulong D100? 

Aug 1, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #64 of 82

Quote:
Some people might say copy, others would say "inspired by". Either way, they share a lot of parts, though the Quattro has some tweaks that might actually make it superior. 

Are you asking how the Quattro compares to the Benchmark DAC1, or to the Yulong D100? 

Sorry I was unclear. The Quattro is obviously superior to the D100. So I was hoping for a comparison between the Benchmark and the Quattro

Aug 1, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #65 of 82

Quote:
Sorry I was unclear. The Quattro is obviously superior to the D100. So I was hoping for a comparison between the Benchmark and the Quattro

I see, that makes sense. I've been trying to get my hands on a Benchmark for direct comparison, so far no luck. I'll keep trying though.

From memory (and I admit it has been a few years) I'd say that the Quattro unit is a bit better than the Benchmark DAC 1 I used to have. Mine was the original non-USB version with no pre-amp capabilities and no remote. I believe it used only NE5532 opamps throughout, with TI BUF634 buffers for the headphone output. The Quattro uses some NE5532, with LM4562 in the output stage and LM49600 buffers for the headphone section. So in a way it is like a DAC 1 USB, with some elements of the DAC 1 Pre and HDR mixed in, and some aspects mixed in that are unique to Matrix. 

Aug 1, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #66 of 82
Better than the benchmark for just about half the price! That really would be a steal if its true :D
Oh Yulong announced that they will be upgrading the D100's usb section soon.

Aug 5, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #67 of 82

Quote:
Better than the benchmark for just about half the price! That really would be a steal if its true :D
Oh Yulong announced that they will be upgrading the D100's usb section soon.

Well, at least as good if not better. 

I hadn't heard about a D100 update (other than the D18 which will be a higher end model released in the future). Where did that info come from?

Aug 6, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #68 of 82
Xiao Long (the maker) himself said that the current USB receiver chips are causing problems on low end computers, so they're going to change it to a more stable one.

Aug 9, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #69 of 82
To owners of the Quattro amp:

1) Do you have a multimeter (or any sort of continuity tester)

2) When operating in balanced mode, are the left and right channels on each of the TRS jacks tied/shorted together? Why does Tam Audio use a TRS plug even for balanced operation?

3) Can you use the multimeter/continuity tester and tell me what pins on the 4 pin XLR plug correspond with the left/right channels on the TRS plugs?

Thanks!

Brendan

Aug 9, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #70 of 82

Quote:
To owners of the Quattro amp:

1) Do you have a multimeter (or any sort of continuity tester)

2) When operating in balanced mode, are the left and right channels on each of the TRS jacks tied/shorted together? Why does Tam Audio use a TRS plug even for balanced operation?

3) Can you use the multimeter/continuity tester and tell me what pins on the 4 pin XLR plug correspond with the left/right channels on the TRS plugs?

Thanks!

Brendan

I'm not JTam but I think I can answer question 2: using a TRS jack allows more flexibility of connectivity options. You can have a balanced or unbalanced headphone connected to the Quattro amp. The amp takes it a step further in that you can have 1 balanced headphone or 2 unbalanced headphones connected.

If using XLRs the option would be balanced only. End of story.

TRS connectors are quite common. I have TRS jacks in my Echo MIA soundcard and my Behringer balanced amplifier. Both use the TRS connection as balanced or unbalanced, adjusting their configuration according to what's connected.

PA

Aug 13, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #72 of 82

Quote:
Would this dac or the yulong d100 be able to power the he-5le?

Sorry I don't have an HE-5LE to test that for you. I do have an LCD-2 that I've tried, and it sounds better on the Quattro than the D100. The Yulong probably has enough power but it just isn't an ideal match; something about the tone seems off, tipped up in the treble region and not as impactful overall. The Quattro does a better job. I'm guessing the results would be similar with the HE-5LE but I can't confirm.

Aug 13, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #73 of 82
Thanks project86!  Hmmm...Have you tried the he-500?  

Quote:
Sorry I don't have an HE-5LE to test that for you. I do have an LCD-2 that I've tried, and it sounds better on the Quattro than the D100. The Yulong probably has enough power but it just isn't an ideal match; something about the tone seems off, tipped up in the treble region and not as impactful overall. The Quattro does a better job. I'm guessing the results would be similar with the HE-5LE but I can't confirm.

Aug 13, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #74 of 82

Quote:
Thanks project86!  Hmmm...Have you tried the he-500?  

Unfortunately no. I'm a bit behind when it comes to the new planar models - my only experience is with the LCD-2 and my custom model using a Yamaha YH-1 driver. I might try the Thunderpants one of these days, but unless I can borrow one of the HiFiMan models I probably won't get a chance to hear those anytime soon. 

Aug 13, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #75 of 82
Ok.  If you do I'll be looking forward to your impressions with them.  

Quote:
Unfortunately no. I'm a bit behind when it comes to the new planar models - my only experience is with the LCD-2 and my custom model using a Yamaha YH-1 driver. I might try the Thunderpants one of these days, but unless I can borrow one of the HiFiMan models I probably won't get a chance to hear those anytime soon. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back