Matrix Mini-i Pro Impressions?
Dec 19, 2013 at 2:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 289

Senpai3330

100+ Head-Fier
I was digging through eBay for some used Matrix gear and I saw a new 2014 version of the Mini-i listed as well as the "Pro" version.

Now does 24/384 over USB.
Supports DSD, DXD
Chip switched over to ESS9016

Has anyone gotten their hands on it yet? Looks promising especially for the price.

Dec 21, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #5 of 289
This is interesting because of DSD capability! Found one from ebay UK with a VERY reasonable price!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2014-MATRIX-Mini-i-Pro-24bit-384kHz-DSD-DXD-DAC-Headphone-Amp-w-Remote-Control-/191007307049

Dec 21, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #6 of 289
I pulled the trigger and ordered one! :)

Dec 21, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #7 of 289
Way to take one for the team! :D

The Matrix Mini-i has a nice legacy though, so I doubt you'll be disappointed. Please give an impression when you have a chance!

Dec 21, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #8 of 289
It'll be interesting to see how the 9016 was implemented in the Mini-I Pro.

The non-Pro version still uses the AD1955, though the layout looks quite different, but it's possible it retains a similar character. No way to truly know without trying it out.

Dec 22, 2013 at 5:20 AM Post #9 of 289
I doubt I can hear any differences between different DAC chips, but DSD is something I want to try. XLR-outputs are also important for me as well as preamp functionality. It would be great if there would also be a toggle switch for output between headphones and line-out.

Jan 2, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #10 of 289
  I doubt I can hear any differences between different DAC chips, but DSD is something I want to try. XLR-outputs are also important for me as well as preamp functionality. It would be great if there would also be a toggle switch for output between headphones and line-out.

Soundwave76 - have you received the Mini Pro yet? I'm a new guy here, who spent a week reading about various USB DACs. Was tempted by ASUS Xonar Essence One Muses edition until i found this small guy. Really like the minimal design and DSD support (which for some weird reason not enabled in Asus, although chip spec supports it). Don't care much about the Phone stage, as my primary use would be connecting active speakers via XLR connection. However, still wonder what kind of op amps Matrix Digi used on the outputs. 

Thanks

Jan 23, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #11 of 289
I'm going to get one as soon as I sell off some gear. I tried it with my LCD-2 yesterday, and loved it.

It drove them really well, and the Pro DSD version comes with a nice metal remote.

The headphone output section sounds fantastic -  it had a great synergy with my LCD-2.

Jan 24, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #14 of 289
I'll be using it as a DAC + headphone amp for my fostex t50rp. I may get some akg k550, I'm going to demo some tomorrow when I go to the nearby HiFi stereo shop. Someday I may get a separate amplifier.

Having gone through an nfb-12, Schiit Asgard, Pan Am, and now just my laptop output in the last 3 years I'm dying for something new! This matrix mini I pro is going to match my new office furniture perfectly. I hope is sounds as good as it looks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back