Matrix Mini-i Pro Impressions?
Feb 14, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #61 of 289
It sounds good, but it's clear this is a DAC first product. I will go into more detail in my review, but you won't regret the purchase. You can later use this as DAC only with a better amp should you choose to.

Feb 14, 2014 at 5:09 AM Post #62 of 289
@Anyone with this DAC, please...

In PRE2 Mode.

When a headphone is not in use, are the RCA and XLR outputs both active? And does the volume dial control both the RCA and XLR outputs volume at the same time?

Intended usage:
XLR outputs to Active Studio Monitors
RCA outputs to Active Sub Woofer

Thanks.

Feb 20, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #65 of 289
This looks right up my alley....a DAC that can handle DSD, variable balanced and RCA outputs, plus has a built in headphone amp.  Colour me interested in any updates.....

Feb 20, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #66 of 289
Review is coming along. With the many options of the Mini-I units it's taking a while to comprehensively test them.

Feb 20, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #67 of 289
Review is coming along. With the many options of the Mini-I units it's taking a while to comprehensively test them.

Excellent - I'm looking forward to your review!  Thank you for doing this.  I also have to say that these really look like eye candy to me, and would look probably look nice on the nightstand too.  Hoping the headphone output is decent.... 

Feb 21, 2014 at 2:20 AM Post #68 of 289
@Maxvla

The manual states that the DAC will go into "stand by" (SLEEP = ON) after 5 mins has elapsed without any signal input.

Assuming I've just returned from lunch and left everything on. The DAC would be in stand by. My computer is set to play an audible alert when I receive an email.

Could you check if there's any "delay" for audio to be output when the DAC has been in "stand by".

Thanks.

Feb 21, 2014 at 2:52 AM Post #69 of 289
Here's some clarification on how sleep mode works. If you have an active connection it will not sleep even if there is no audio played. It will only sleep if there is no connection at all. For instance, if you had your Mini-I connected to a laptop you use for school, left for school and had the Mini-I set to sleep mode, 5 minutes after you disconnected the laptop to take it with you, the Mini-I would sleep. To wake, simply push and hold the volume knob for 1 second and reconnect your input cable. Sleep mode is essentially 'off' and there is no 'wake on activity' mode like computers have.

Feb 23, 2014 at 2:53 AM Post #71 of 289
Mini-I and Mini-I Pro compared - Same contents, different ratings.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/matrix-mini-i-pro/reviews/10548

http://www.head-fi.org/products/matrix-mini-i-2014/reviews/10549

By the way, the delay on my review was that I received a Mini-I Pro that might have a faulty USB connection. I had trouble connecting the device and it wouldn't play high rate PCM (352.8 and 384) without stuttering. I asked others here as well as the USA distributor who also asked Matrix in China to try to replicate my problem and nobody could. I feel confident this is an isolated incident.

Feb 23, 2014 at 4:09 AM Post #72 of 289
Mini-I and Mini-I Pro compared - Same contents, different ratings.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/matrix-mini-i-pro/reviews/10548

http://www.head-fi.org/products/matrix-mini-i-2014/reviews/10549

By the way, the delay on my review was that I received a Mini-I Pro that might have a faulty USB connection. I had trouble connecting the device and it wouldn't play high rate PCM (352.8 and 384) without stuttering. I asked others here as well as the USA distributor who also asked Matrix in China to try to replicate my problem and nobody could. I feel confident this is an isolated incident.

Excellent review mate. Very professional. 

Feb 23, 2014 at 4:13 AM Post #73 of 289
Eh.. any English teacher would disagree with you! It's honest at least :D

Feb 23, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #74 of 289

Users who are viewing this thread

Back