matrix M-stage vs sheer audio HA-006+
May 24, 2010 at 11:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

wywern209

100+ Head-Fier
which one is better performance wise? specifically when paired with a pair of HD600  headphones. I've narrowed it down to these 2 amps for use with a hd600. my set up is gonna look like this.

ipod touch 2g --> zycable LOD --> 3.5mm female to RCA cable* --> m-stage matrix / HA-006+ --> hd600

or

panasonic stereo system --> rca out --> amp --> hd600**

*the connector is gonna be of good quality; a premium grade cable from monoprice

** this setup might work better as i have some really nice, thick, gold plated rca cables from radioshack laying around in my closet. and my stereo has RCA line out. the stereo model is a "CD STEREO SYSTEM SA-PM111". the stereo also has an aux rca port on the back so i can also connect my ipod touch if i am inclined to do so.

so which amp would work best?

May 24, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #2 of 17
wow, that's weird. according to the interwebs, this model doesn't exist. hahaha. w.e. i think it provides pretty good sound so im gonna use that.

EDIT: was referring to the stereo system.

May 26, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #3 of 17
I would go for the tried and tested (and excellent) Dynalo which the Sheer Audio offering is based on.

May 26, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #4 of 17
isn't the matrix m-stage a clone of the lehhman linear cube? i thouhg tthe matrix might be better as the real linear cube goes for over 800 bux.

May 26, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #5 of 17

Quote:
isn't the matrix m-stage a clone of the lehhman linear cube? i thouhg tthe matrix might be better as the real linear cube goes for over 800 bux.

Inspired by the Lehman 1200.00 amp very similar. I haven't hrad the Sheer but the Matrix is outstanding and drives all the headphones I have, No grain very dynamic and gushes of detail. Great amp couldn't be happier.

May 26, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #7 of 17

Quote:

Trying to gauge the performance of an amp by price is a bad idea. But, since we're on the topic, the Sheer Audio HA-006++ is a "clone" of the GS-1 which goes for $900+

May 27, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #8 of 17
i heard the matrix can drive pretty much any cans out there and the gain switches are gonna be pretty useful.

May 27, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #9 of 17
These were the exact 2 amps I was considering, I went with the M-Stage and can also say it drives everything I have beautifully and I am so incredibly pleased with it. Your problem is finding anyone who has heard both (doubtful) - Dynalo owners recommend the Sheer, us Matrix owners recommend the M-Stage. I suspect either will be wonderful once you decide.

May 27, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #10 of 17

Quote:
Trying to gauge the performance of an amp by price is a bad idea. But, since we're on the topic, the Sheer Audio HA-006++ is a "clone" of the GS-1 which goes for $900+

It's not exactly a clone of GS-1, as we never got Headamp's product in house to be used as a reference.  It is more of our own interpretation of Dr. Gilmore's original design.  Since both of our amps are based on Dr. Gilmore's design, they will look similar in places, while different in other places where we each design a proper setup to support the core DynaLo circuit. :)

May 27, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #11 of 17

Quote:
It's not exactly a clone of GS-1, as we never got Headamp's product in house to be used as a reference.  It is more of our own interpretation of Dr. Gilmore's original design.  Since both of our amps are based on Dr. Gilmore's design, they will look similar in places, while different in other places where we each design a proper setup to support the core DynaLo circuit. :)

^ Yea I put clone in quotation marks for this reason. I should have been clearer.

May 27, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #12 of 17
i think im gonna go matrix.  It is cheaper and it has adjustable gain. Nice when i want to use my HD 280 amped. or any other Hps im gonna get down the line.

May 29, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #13 of 17
Hehe I was planning on getting a ha-006+ but I come back to check around now that I'm ready to make a purchase and what do you know...after reading around threads for over 3 hours I end up ordering a matrix m-stage.  Typical head-fi.

May 30, 2010 at 9:18 AM Post #14 of 17

Quote:
Hehe I was planning on getting a ha-006+ but I come back to check around now that I'm ready to make a purchase and what do you know...after reading around threads for over 3 hours I end up ordering a matrix m-stage.  Typical head-fi.

lol hahaha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back