Matrix M-stage vs Schiit Asgard...has anyone compared them yet?
Nov 22, 2010 at 8:07 AM Post #31 of 44

Quote:
No return policy on the M-Stage, Asgard looks really good, Asgard has reports of synergy with Sennheisers, you guys like the M-Stage, M-Stage is cheaper and I could buy it tomorrow. Hmmm....

7 days from coolfungadtet and there is a big do not buy on audio asylum from a buyer regarding hhly audio. If you do not like it will sell here quickly.

Dec 3, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #32 of 44
I have both of these amps (matrix is stock).  I have been going back and forth with both amps running the 650's/701/LCD's as I read this thread.  I would have to say I prefer the Matrix with all three, but not by a huge amount.  In simple terms the Matrix has more bass, power and midrange presence.  The Matrix drive all of these headphones more effortlessly than the Asgard.  Unless you think the HD650's have too much bass (which I think is ridiculous) you will like the matrix better......The Asgard is a little lighter in the bass.  I should note I much prefer the tone of the HD650/LCD2's to the k701/HD800.  I can't wait to try the class A 627 op amp.  It's also interesting (note worthy) that the Matrix is based on a $1000 very highly regarded amp.  Good Luck

Dec 11, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #33 of 44
I tried the Asgard and didn't like the sound sig with my IE8s and M50 and sent it back. That's all I can say though as my HD650s never came and I've switched my focus to IEMs.

Dec 18, 2010 at 5:06 AM Post #34 of 44
So the M stage is good for the RS-1 then ? I am just about to bight the bullet on an M-Stage for my rs-1's so your advise would be very much appreciated. I have already ordered an E9 to go with my E7 but as I've mentioned in another thread, I can easily sell these once I found exactly what I'm looking for (I hope that is soon as my wallet can't take much more!)

Quote:
I finally got to listen to the M-Stage, literally a day and night difference between the two on my RS1. The soundstage I'm hearing is massive, way more expansive than the Asgard yet it doesn't lose its midrange energy. I'm still shocked at what I'm hearing, this is no placebo at work. I had no clue my RS1 could sound like this at all.

Dec 18, 2010 at 5:50 AM Post #35 of 44
The Matrix M-Stage adds some low bass presence that combines well with Grados as well as its soundstage depth and width. Ultimately, I felt the midrange clarity was not as good as the HDP but the soundstage on the M-Stage was much more to my liking. The midrange is a little more relaxed, if that's fine with you then the matrix m-stage is good. If you like a big soundstage, the m-stage should suit you well. While the soundstage did amaze me for a little while, it has never been a very important trait I require otherwise I wouldn't be using grados
wink.gif

I did enjoy the RS1 on the M-Stage over the Asgard for sure. I would be very happy with the M-Stage as my only amplifier.

Dec 18, 2010 at 6:50 AM Post #36 of 44
Cheers Kite7, just what I needed. The M-Stage I'm after has been modded quite a bit so should deliver some good sounds, I am a fan of soundstage but a bigger fan of the Grado sound sig'. I have the E9 coming and may keep that for my desk top and set the M-Stage up with the hifi? or get a usb dac and get rid of the Fiio gear altogether? I may post on here with my 225's see if anyone wants them?

Thanks again

Dec 18, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #37 of 44

Quote:
It's also interesting (note worthy) that the Matrix is based on a $1000 very highly regarded amp.  Good Luck

Could you please elaborate on that more ? 

Dec 18, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #38 of 44

Quote:
Quote:
It's also interesting (note worthy) that the Matrix is based on a $1000 very highly regarded amp.  Good Luck

Could you please elaborate on that more ? 

The M-stage is clone of the Lehmann black cube if i'm not mistaken ? They are a very well respected German amp maker. This is why the M-stage is either loved by people who want top price for performance at a cheap price, and hated by people who think clones are not cool. I am in the 'save my wallet' group that will appreciate saving a few (more than a few actually) bits of wallet paper. Hope this helps ya.

Dec 24, 2010 at 8:14 AM Post #40 of 44
I used the D700 with both the Matrix M Stage and The Asgard. IMO it was not contest. The Matrix has a synergy with the Matrix that was very musical. It showed the strength of the D7000 bass and soundstage was very wide and deep. Inner detail and musicality was unmatched by the Asgard.  I would happily pair the Matrix and D7000 again it was perfect and with that combo I felt no need  to upgrade either.  Tye midrange was a joy to listen to and the amp controlled the bass and made it tight  and deep. It also brought the 701 to another level. great amp for the D7000

Apr 14, 2011 at 4:09 AM Post #42 of 44
Sorry for resurrecting this. I am looking to purchase my first full sized amp and I got it between the M-Stage and the Asgard which are in my budget (<300). I want an amp that can "do it all". When i say do it all i mean that it can run headphones such as Grados and Ultrasones (headphones with low impedence) to something like the HD650, HiFiman HE-4, or even the LCD2 (very hard to drive headphones). Obviously it doesn't have to drive them to perfection because that is what $1000 amps are for but I just don't have that kind of money. I am looking for versatility (for future purchases) and bang for the buck.

http://www.headfonia.com/matrix-m-stage/

In that review of the M-Stage, the reviewer mentions that he loves listening to HD800 and HE5LE with the M-Stage. This surprised me as I didn't expect the M-Stage to be able to drive them well.
That being said... can the Asgard also drive these hard to drive headphones (HD800, HD650, orthos) as well? Which would be best suited for me?

Thanks.

Apr 17, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #43 of 44
The headphones I used with M-Stage: 

Grados 

Denons 

Hifiman HE-5 

Audez'e LCD-2 

HD650 

And it never had any problems driving any of them... It was best with Grados, Denons and LCD-2 and very good with HD650 and HE-5 

Never heard the Asgard, sorry 

Apr 18, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #44 of 44
From reading this thread, it seems like M-stage is preferred slightly over the Asgard. That D7000s and Grados pairs better with M-stage is a good news.
But did anyone had the chance to pair M-stage with W5000's? I'm looking for a nice amp that can drive W5000 and Asgard and M-stage are within my budget limit.
Not many people seem to own a pair of W5000 here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back