Matrix m-stage vs. DIY (ck^2III or M^3) for K701's
Jun 8, 2011 at 3:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dogwan

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, first off, sorry for yet another K701 amp thread.

That being said, I have done my due diligence and made a reasonable effort to comb through the old posts for an answer to this question. I was unable to find any direct comparisons specific to the AKG's. However, the 701's will not be the only cans to be used on my prospective amp choice. I just want to reach a point where I can see some of the potential that I'm not yet realizing with my current set-up. Whichever amp I go with should be versatile enough to handle a variety (not expecting miracles here) of cans. I will most likely also keep my current modded ASL Mg Head OTL to fill in gaps and for variety.

So I gather that the Matrix is a good match. But I really like DIY when I have the time. It appears that I would be about in the same ballpark money wise either way. Of course the M^3 would be a bit more but probably worth it. I'm not tied to AMB labs products other than I like the support and reputation.

Does anyone have opinions or experience on this faceoff?

Thanks,
Dogwan

Jun 8, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #2 of 5
The Panda Amp from HiFiDiy might be an another alternative for you. I bought one on the recommendations on Rock Grotto.. Unfortunately the link to the thread seems to be busted right now.(I just sent the moderator a msg about the broken links)
http://cgi.ebay.com/HIEND-design-panda-headphone-amp-kit-/220792726947?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item336845a5a3
They still sell for around $80 for the board kit on ebay.. Many owners of K701's thought it drove them much better than most of the other amps they had tried.  You could probably build one for between $150 and $200 depending on how fancy you get.

Jun 8, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #3 of 5
The M^3 has the optional bass boost feature that may be useful if you ever find yourself wanting more low end punch from the K701s.

Both the M^3 and M-Stage use swappable opamps. But while the M-Stage requires opamp adapters to hack it into class A, the M^3 has that built into the circuit itself. You just tweak the trimpots to set your desired level of biasing.

The CKKIII and M-Stage have built-in power supplies. The M^3's is separate, though you can build one into the same enclosure, or just use a wall wart to save money.

Yes, I am a happy M^3 fan. No, I haven't tried it with a K701. 

Edit: Tried it with K701, and it works great.

Jun 9, 2011 at 7:49 AM Post #4 of 5
i don't have a real preference for either amp with the AKGs.  the CK2III has a sweeter midrange and less emphasis on 'hi-fi' fireworks.  the M3 can be a little more analytical sounding and emphasizing the recording itself.  for the M3, i would recommend oversized heatsinks and adequate ventilation to increase the quiescent current bias up to at least 120mA.  this will help reduce the analytical character and bring the mid-range forward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back