Matrix Audio Mini-i 3 and Mini-i Pro3 DAC
Aug 11, 2022 at 8:50 AM Post #166 of 193
Yes, i've seen those specs.
So, theoretically the Abyss 1266 should sound lean, thin, odd, tonally skewed, and worse, when being driven by the (tiny) 1320mW @ 33Ω > Matrix i-3 Pro or non-pro.

Yet, on -20 (minus 20) on the Volume Knob, not +20, but -20.... my long hair is bouncing from the bass impact, because its too loud.
I think the Volume tops out at +30ish, so, its a long way to go...

When i compare the "body of the sound"...the "fullness of the tone", with a much stronger Class "A" amp, all that changes is the unit.
Where the Abyss FR should be suffering is regarding the Low End, but, it doesn't.
It Thumps just fine, using the Matrix.
Same can be said for the JDS Labs Element 2, as a matter of fact, when using the JDS I can't even get close to the 9-o'clock position when powering the Abyss 1266, and that is NOT using the "high power" switch.

Here is a quick photo of my Abyss and the 3 amps that im using to drive it today.
-
-P2120002.JPG

Really interested to hear more of your experience with this jump. I switched over from the Element II to the Matrix just today, with a pair of Hifiman Arya's. While I obviously haven't spent any amount of significant time with the Matrix, my initial feeling is that the vocals are a smidge more clear compared to the Element II.

Nov 24, 2022 at 5:38 AM Post #170 of 193
I use my Matrix exclusively with Tidal when streaming, I purchased the pro model. I had encountered the occasional disconnect, prior to my network upgrade, I did recently upgrade my network to Wi-Fi 6E And since never encountered a disconnect let alone a stutter. So, that’s my experience.
I would also say the built in antennas on these aren’t the greatest with regards to distances from the router, if you can move them closer that would also help.

Nov 25, 2022 at 3:23 AM Post #171 of 193
I use my Matrix exclusively with Tidal when streaming, I purchased the pro model. I had encountered the occasional disconnect, prior to my network upgrade, I did recently upgrade my network to Wi-Fi 6E And since never encountered a disconnect let alone a stutter. So, that’s my experience.
I would also say the built in antennas on these aren’t the greatest with regards to distances from the router, if you can move them closer that would also help.
That's consistent with my experience as well when I was using Tidal (I actually gave up Tidal and switched back to Spotify because the music selection just wasn't for me). Listening through Roon, or Tidal never stutters/chops but for some reason Spotify, without fail, constantly stutters the track.
I'm connected via USB, and I use a mesh network at home already. So It's either the Spotify app being 💩 or it has to do with how the Matrix processing the signal when it comes out the headphones/earphones.

To be fair, I think I was also trying Apple Music, and I had the same issue too. Is there an official Matrix Mini-i Pro 3 thread? I can't seem to find one.

I'm at a total loss to why this is, but Spotify CS should be renamed to CT (customer torture). There were so unhelpful and at one point they claimed that the headphones were to blame...
Thanks @Dionysus for the reply though!

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2022 at 11:03 PM Post #173 of 193
Do you have latency issues? I did, and regardless all I tried I never got it fixed. But that was USB which was temporary. There are apps you can download to check it.
I don't think I do, but could you share what that app would be or what I should search for? I'm on macOS and I'm directly connecting type-C to my M1 Macbook Pro using an Apple type-C cable.

I should also note, that this issue is a common problem across a multitude selection of users of Spotify as this community thread suggests. Across reading it, I get the impression that because PC users form a much larger portion of their user base, the inclination to address issues on the Mac platform is a lower priority. Thanks @Powermankw for the response🙏

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2022 at 3:22 AM Post #175 of 193
Ya, I'm on PC. It was LatencyMon and I think it is just for PC. You can look for other max apps. You could email Matrix... Or Moon Audio shop... It's where I bought mine. They are quite familiar with them and helpful.
thanks, unfortunately I did not buy from Moon Audio, so I'm not sure if it's alright for me to be reaching out to them for customer support haha thanks

Dec 10, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #176 of 193
Anyone compared the Matrix Mini-i Pro 3 with the newer Element I2? Not a huge difference in price, and the Element I2 is newer and better specs as far as I can tell. Better screen too.

Jan 8, 2023 at 6:40 AM Post #179 of 193
Hi, I have just got my Matrix Mini-i Pro 3 as an upgrade from a Zen DAC V2/CAN combo and am using it with Quad Era-1 and (when it's noisy in the house) Oppo PM-3 planars. I have a small FLAC library and otherwise stream with Tidal. I totally agree with other reviewers on this thread about the extraordinary sound the Mini-i Pro 3 is capable of producing with planars. The Quads in particular are a match for it made in head-fi heaven - both sonically and aesthetically as they use precisely the same black and gray colours with curved-edge design. There's one niggling issue, however: whenever the unit is powered, including in standby, it emits a very slight hum. What I mean by this is that there's a sound coming from the unit itself, not through the Quads or Oppos, which have a totally silent background. Has anyone else experienced this? It's not really noticeable when I have music playing, but otherwise I've been switching it off at the mains as it's very slightly annoying. I'm also wondering if there might be some small fault in the one I have. It's be good to find out either way. I have a normal UK mains supply and no other hum issues with hi-fi.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #180 of 193
Hi, I have just got my Matrix Mini-i Pro 3 as an upgrade from a Zen DAC V2/CAN combo and am using it with Quad Era-1 and (when it's noisy in the house) Oppo PM-3 planars. I have a small FLAC library and otherwise stream with Tidal. I totally agree with other reviewers on this thread about the extraordinary sound the Mini-i Pro 3 is capable of producing with planars. The Quads in particular are a match for it made in head-fi heaven - both sonically and aesthetically as they use precisely the same black and gray colours with curved-edge design. There's one niggling issue, however: whenever the unit is powered, including in standby, it emits a very slight hum. What I mean by this is that there's a sound coming from the unit itself, not through the Quads or Oppos, which have a totally silent background. Has anyone else experienced this? It's not really noticeable when I have music playing, but otherwise I've been switching it off at the mains as it's very slightly annoying. I'm also wondering if there might be some small fault in the one I have. It's be good to find out either way. I have a normal UK mains supply and no other hum issues with hi-fi.
It's interesting you mention this. I too have noticed this on my Matrix Mini-i 3 pro recently. In my case it's intermittent so it's been hard to troubleshoot. I'll keep you posted if I find the source of it. Do you have an external amp connected by any chance? (could be a ground loop)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back