Matrix Audio Mini-i 3 and Mini-i Pro3 DAC
Jan 9, 2023 at 6:26 AM Post #183 of 193
Thanks everyone. That's all interesting and helpful. No, I don't currently have an external amp connected. I've dropped MA a line to ask them and will try a few other sockets in the house in case it's a supply end issue of some kind. I suspect it's a minor fault, in which case I'll probably get the unit replaced as it's slightly diluting the joy of this equipment...

Jan 10, 2023 at 7:12 AM Post #184 of 193
Hi, I have just got my Matrix Mini-i Pro 3 as an upgrade from a Zen DAC V2/CAN combo and am using it with Quad Era-1 and (when it's noisy in the house) Oppo PM-3 planars. I have a small FLAC library and otherwise stream with Tidal. I totally agree with other reviewers on this thread about the extraordinary sound the Mini-i Pro 3 is capable of producing with planars. The Quads in particular are a match for it made in head-fi heaven - both sonically and aesthetically as they use precisely the same black and gray colours with curved-edge design. There's one niggling issue, however: whenever the unit is powered, including in standby, it emits a very slight hum. What I mean by this is that there's a sound coming from the unit itself, not through the Quads or Oppos, which have a totally silent background. Has anyone else experienced this? It's not really noticeable when I have music playing, but otherwise I've been switching it off at the mains as it's very slightly annoying. I'm also wondering if there might be some small fault in the one I have. It's be good to find out either way. I have a normal UK mains supply and no other hum issues with hi-fi.
Maybe you can try this if you want to see how you can solve the issue: dc-blocker.

Jan 24, 2023 at 5:22 AM Post #185 of 193
Hi Alexeyi,

That was a really good idea and I got hold of a similar device - the Audiolab DC Blocker - and gave it a try. Unfortunately, it did not eliminate or reduce the hum at all. I am pretty certain I just have a rogue unit and am going to return it and get another, hopefully hum free...

John

Jan 24, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #186 of 193
Hi Alexeyi,

That was a really good idea and I got hold of a similar device - the Audiolab DC Blocker - and gave it a try. Unfortunately, it did not eliminate or reduce the hum at all. I am pretty certain I just have a rogue unit and am going to return it and get another, hopefully hum free...

John

I saw little hardware like these used in multiple systems to solve hum issues. Too bad it does not help you, but like you said it might be something related to the unit itself. If you are still able to exchange the unit, you should do so right away.

Feb 11, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #187 of 193
I have a question re the remote control operation. I want to use the remote to select the optical input but there's no button on the remote for the optical setting. Is there any way at all to use the remote to cycle inputs to get to the optical in. Thanks.

UPDATE: Never mind it was a seniors moment. I discovered you can toggle the top right button to toggle through the inputs.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #188 of 193
Hi Alexeyi,

John
Hey there! I recently acquired a MA Mini-i Pro 3 and had some hum nearly immediately. I figured out the issue and I hope it helps you too. I use a small space heater in my office so I don't have to heat a whole floor that I'm the only on on during the day, I realized that the Vornado fan/heater was adding a lot of noise into my office circuit. The moment I unplugged it the hum was gone immediately (note, this hum would exist when the unit was on or in standby). I would move it around your home and see if other plugs provide the same problem for your unit, I would also go around the house an unplug anything that is similar to my space heater.
I hope I'm not too late in sending this note, I joined yesterday with the express reason to post this :)

Feb 22, 2023 at 9:04 PM Post #189 of 193
Hey there! I recently acquired a MA Mini-i Pro 3 and had some hum nearly immediately. I figured out the issue and I hope it helps you too. I use a small space heater in my office so I don't have to heat a whole floor that I'm the only on on during the day, I realized that the Vornado fan/heater was adding a lot of noise into my office circuit. The moment I unplugged it the hum was gone immediately (note, this hum would exist when the unit was on or in standby). I would move it around your home and see if other plugs provide the same problem for your unit, I would also go around the house an unplug anything that is similar to my space heater.
I hope I'm not too late in sending this note, I joined yesterday with the express reason to post this :)
Welcome and hope you continue to participate.

Feb 26, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #190 of 193
Anyone compared the Matrix Mini-i Pro 3 with the newer Element I2? Not a huge difference in price, and the Element I2 is newer and better specs as far as I can tell. Better screen too.
@thyname you are right the Matrix Element i2 ticks all the boxes. Did you get it? What are you mr thoughts? I’m looking for DAC/Amp combo /MQA Roon support and 4.4 Balanced. This one seems to hit all that.

Feb 27, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #191 of 193
@thyname you are right the Matrix Element i2 ticks all the boxes. Did you get it? What are you mr thoughts? I’m looking for DAC/Amp combo /MQA Roon support and 4.4 Balanced. This one seems to hit all that.
I too am curious about this. I have been enjoying my mini-i 3, I was trying to discover the differences between the Mini-i 3 Pro and the Element I (both were the same price and besides the colors screen, I couldn't discern a difference)

Mar 1, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #192 of 193
Hello,

I have noticed one unpleasant bug with 6,35 mm headphone output on my matrix mini-i 3 pro. When I connected my HifiMan headphones into that using 3,5 to 6,35 adapter I noticed that only only one right channel plays the music. I moved it a bit left and right and then both ears started to sound. Adapter has two black stripes what indicates stereo, but I tried some others and the problem occurs only with Matrix mini. I have plugged the same setup to other amp and everything worked fine what means it is not headphones or adapter. I am not using 6,35 headphone output (I have Topping A90D for that) but still, a bit frustrated. Is there anybody else around who experienced the same problem?

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #193 of 193
Does anyone know if the Mini i-3 Pro can output through XLR and RCA at the same time, as in "always on", while the USB digital input is selected? This follows my next question: how does the unit handle the analog in? If I choose the analog input I assume that is when the USB no longer receives info and now the unit is using whatever RCA input connection is plugged into it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back