Matrix Audio Mini-i 3 and Mini-i Pro3 DAC
Dec 9, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #136 of 193
Dec 10, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #137 of 193
Have people tried this dac/amp with a Focal clear? I am worried about the output resistance (Focal clear only has 55). Been reading great things about this one and would love something with such a pretty and small form factor for my desk

Could I use the matrix with focal Elegia and aeon 2 noire or is the output resistance a problem?

I need a bedroom setup. Currently Im using a Singxer SA1 in my living room.

Dec 24, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #138 of 193
I got a Mini Pro for my Utopias and really enjoy it. I'm using the balanced output with a Black Dragon. It's a fantastic setup. So far it is really hard to tell a difference to my Atom. (Not the HE) Fantastic gear.

Dec 25, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #139 of 193
Actually... I'll go a little further... I am a little surprised this doesn't get more press. I am really happy with it. The bad part is I do not have any experience with other gear, so my evaluation of this is probably not much help to others.

First, I decided to take the plunge and get a good system in my office because I do not listen to music in the living room like I used to. Big part was I needed a bookshelf speaker system. Then I decided I needed headphones. I finally decided on a NAIM Atom for a streamer and to drive speakers. I was going to leave it at just that. I do not want a mobile HP amp, but wanted something more portable for around the house. I also really wanted balanced output. Most importantly, I did not want to spend a ton of money. I looked at all the regulars...RME, Topping, Arche, Mytek. I got the Mini-i Pro 3.

I guess for me it was just a specific need. I thought about Atom HE, but did not want separate amp for my desktop system. I did not really need a "streamer", but didn't want to connect to something else. When I looked at everything else... the Mini-i P3 had every connection possible, pre-amp, it was fully balanced, Roon and MQA, great looking and form factor. It basically had way more than I needed, but everything else was missing "something". I figured it would be future proof. My only headphones are Focal Utopia. I have some Sony XM4, but not really the same thing. I listen with Black Dragon 4.4 cable.

First off, anything extremely good digitally I am always afraid it will be clinical, lean, shrill, bright.... not even close. Moon Audio assured me it was relaxed and warm. When I first plugged it in I thought it was WAY too relaxed. Like not exciting at all. That is not the same now at all. I ran burn it track for 3-4 days. I have had it over a month now and it is definitely broke in. I would tell you how incredible it sounds, but my Utopias sound incredible. I can not imagine how the Mini 3P is in the way at all. I think it is giving me everything on a recording, and the Utopias are taking full advantage. I have tried to tell the difference with my NAIM Atom. The Atom "should" be very good. Some question the headphone section... I can only listed on SE Focal cord. It depends what I listen too. I listen to both and I think both are the best until I put the other back on. I say that only to say this... the very last thing NAIM is known for is clinical, lean, flat... I find the Mini 3P to be just as exciting, warm, rich and enjoyable as the NAIM. With nothing but streaming Hi-Res sources, both are simply fantastic. Opens up a whole new musical world.. just as I hoped.

My only nit picks... yes putting in a wi-fi password is a chore with how the keyboard is laid out. The volume knob does seem a little silly with .5 db increments. Each full rotation is 5 db. Odd. And the only other thing is my Roon core does not always see it. Both my units are wired. Sometimes I have to close Roon, restart, turn Mini on or off... odd. It is not often, weird that it happens at all. Easy enough to correct.

I need to spend more time listening to both SE and 4.4 to see if it matters to my headphones. I have considered using it as a source to my Atom to see if the DAC section is better. I have wondered if hooking up a HP amp (Like Drop or Rupert Neve) with XLR outs would drive my Utopias any better. Right now I think I am just chasing gear... but obviously I want the most out of what I have bought... But I am really glad I got the Mini. It certainly does what I bought it for, and I can think of several other uses as well.

Dec 30, 2021 at 12:55 AM Post #140 of 193
Hi I'm new to this thread. I've had my Mini i-Pro 3 for a while now. It's not my main rig, more for mobile and casual listening. I'd like to test its DAC section with my Burson Soloist on amp duties. Is there a way to assign the XLR or RCA out on the Matrix, or how does that work (get it to work as DAC only)?

Dec 30, 2021 at 1:31 AM Post #141 of 193
Hi I'm new to this thread. I've had my Mini i-Pro 3 for a while now. It's not my main rig, more for mobile and casual listening. I'd like to test its DAC section with my Burson Soloist on amp duties. Is there a way to assign the XLR or RCA out on the Matrix, or how does that work (get it to work as DAC only)?
OMG... I would so love you to tell me how that sounds. I'm looking at a Burson for same.

So the mini is pre-amp. I've hooked it up to my living room system. Then I just used as source. Fixed output is default setting.

In setting... The button on back... You can set the pre-out as fixed or variable. Variable so mini volume still controls output to amp... Fixed for output device to control volume. The outputs on Mini are same either using RCAs or XLRs.... I don't think outputs are assigned... I think its either or. I don't think you can use both, but not positive.

Dec 30, 2021 at 3:40 AM Post #142 of 193
OMG... I would so love you to tell me how that sounds. I'm looking at a Burson for same.

So the mini is pre-amp. I've hooked it up to my living room system. Then I just used as source. Fixed output is default setting.

In setting... The button on back... You can set the pre-out as fixed or variable. Variable so mini volume still controls output to amp... Fixed for output device to control volume. The outputs on Mini are same either using RCAs or XLRs.... I don't think outputs are assigned... I think its either or. I don't think you can use both, but not positive.
Thank you, that fixed it. The Mini i-Pro 3 DAC section sounds great with the Soloist as pre-amp. Tested with speakers for now, will test with headphones later (Susvara and Empyrean).

Dec 30, 2021 at 3:45 AM Post #143 of 193
@Powermankw the Soloist is a fantastic amp. It pretty much dwarfs the Matrix amp section. These are two very different devices and shouldn't be compared - however, their respective strengths play very nicely together. I am running the Soloist with the Burson upgraded power supply and also have 3 sets of opamps, which on their own (or combined) afford the luxury of tweaking the sound to one's preference.

Dec 30, 2021 at 7:37 AM Post #144 of 193
@Powermankw the Soloist is a fantastic amp. It pretty much dwarfs the Matrix amp section. These are two very different devices and shouldn't be compared - however, their respective strengths play very nicely together. I am running the Soloist with the Burson upgraded power supply and also have 3 sets of opamps, which on their own (or combined) afford the luxury of tweaking the sound to one's preference.

I've watched a bunch of reviews where people compare the amp section of the mini i3 with the rebel amp and other "good" amps up to 400-500 bucks.

Is the soloist 3x performance really that much better or is there just alot of Audiophile romanticism involved?

(Quality, expensive etc).

Dec 30, 2021 at 8:49 AM Post #145 of 193
I've watched a bunch of reviews where people compare the amp section of the mini i3 with the rebel amp and other "good" amps up to 400-500 bucks.

Is the soloist 3x performance really that much better or is there just alot of Audiophile romanticism involved?

(Quality, expensive etc).
Significantly better. I enjoy the Matrix amp section from time to time for a change of flavour, but by way of direct comparison, the Soloist is the better amp by a fair margin.

Dec 30, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #146 of 193
Significantly better. I enjoy the Matrix amp section from time to time for a change of flavour, but by way of direct comparison, the Soloist is the better amp by a fair margin.
Thanks you! The mini impedance is just a little high for my HPs. I never thought it was the best, it's just a fantastic all in one that isn't very expensive. Very versatile. But I do think an amp would do me a lot of good.

I have upgraded a lot of stuff and I am a gear whore. Sure it's "better", but it also gets into a lot of hair splitting. I was a little worried too reading about amps that it's not a lot better... But with my Utopias, I do think there is a fair amount more to be had from them. The Mini is a great roon MQA streaming DAC/pre with every possible input... And balanced... I think an amp will do it good.

Do you know anything about the V280... Or any other amp you've tried?

Dec 30, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #147 of 193
Thanks you! The mini impedance is just a little high for my HPs. I never thought it was the best, it's just a fantastic all in one that isn't very expensive. Very versatile. But I do think an amp would do me a lot of good.

I have upgraded a lot of stuff and I am a gear whore. Sure it's "better", but it also gets into a lot of hair splitting. I was a little worried too reading about amps that it's not a lot better... But with my Utopias, I do think there is a fair amount more to be had from them. The Mini is a great roon MQA streaming DAC/pre with every possible input... And balanced... I think an amp will do it good.

Do you know anything about the V280... Or any other amp you've tried?
In do agree the Mini i-Pro 3 is a fantastic device for what it offers, which is why I decided to hold onto it (plenty inputs, small form factor, ROON ready etc.).

I've not heard the V280. I had a Deckard and Master 9 before the Soloist, and also have a Little Dot MK VI+ tube amp (all are very capable amps). I have a Kinki EX-M1+ incoming in Jan but this is for my speaker rig and Susvara.

I stopped side-grading earlier this year as it was just a never ending cycle of slowly draining cash (for not much gain). I prefer to save and make significant upgrade purchases. The Soloist is a very good amp which I can easily recommend. Sadly it does come at a price but you do get good value for what you pay.

Dec 30, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #148 of 193
In do agree the Mini i-Pro 3 is a fantastic device for what it offers, which is why I decided to hold onto it (plenty inputs, small form factor, ROON ready etc.).

I've not heard the V280. I had a Deckard and Master 9 before the Soloist, and also have a Little Dot MK VI+ tube amp (all are very capable amps). I have a Kinki EX-M1+ incoming in Jan but this is for my speaker rig and Susvara.

I stopped side-grading earlier this year as it was just a never ending cycle of slowly draining cash (for not much gain). I prefer to save and make significant upgrade purchases. The Soloist is a very good amp which I can easily recommend. Sadly it does come at a price but you do get good value for what you pay.
Thank you! I have been in many hobbies and I too have wasted money in the upgrade treadmill. I am much more buy once/cry once now. Is the soloist enough of a upgrade to be worth it? I know, subjective. Maybe down the line I decide to get some Sumit gear.... Is the Solo a good improvement over the mini amp?

Dec 30, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #149 of 193
Is the Solo a good improvement over the mini amp?
Yes it is. You can also roll opamps to tweak the sound, which is easily done and well worth it. I bought the extra Burson Classic opamps and then also the Sparkoslab opamps. So, along with the standard Vivid opamps which the Soloist is shipped with, it offers a good variety to tailor the Soloist's sound between analytical and musicality (or something in-between). I still enjoy the Mini's amp from time to time. It's not as smooth or spacious as the Soloist, but it's grittiness (by comparison) presents a rather upfront sound which I sometimes enjoy for a change of scenery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back