Mastodon! \m/
Apr 17, 2008 at 5:13 PM Post #16 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalGeek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like Isis, at least when I'm in the mood. The only thing keeping me from absolutely loving them is that the tempo really doesn't change much throughout the entire album. That, and you can barely hear the vocals. Their music just seems a bit monotonous after a while, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's great if I just want to sit and relax and let my brain float for a while. So far I've only heard Panopticon, Oceanic, and SGNL 05, so thanks for the recommendation on that...I'll check it out for sure.

Celestial is easily their best work. You'll like it. The first track is spectacular.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalGeek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another band I've had recommended to me recently is Pelican. Kinda reminds me of Isis, if you're interested. Again, didn't get a chance to listen to much of it, but I liked what I heard.

Good old Pelican. I've seen them live twice. If you like them, check these out:

Russian Circles - Enter
Cult of Luna - Somewhere Along the Highway
5ive - Hesperus
Shora - Malval
Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn
Rwake - Hell is a Door to the Sun
Ufomammut - Snailking
Morkobot - Mostro
Unfortunaut - Of Here & Now
Yakuza - Samsara
Bossk - .1
Bossk - .2
Mouth of the Architect - The Ties that Blind

Some of those are quite obscure, so you might have to search hard (depending on where you're looking).

Apr 17, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #17 of 51
eek.gif
Thanks!

I love music.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 17, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #20 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by evanft /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Blood Mountain is easily their worst album.

I had thought that for a while, actually. It really grew on me over the last couple weeks.

Apr 18, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #21 of 51
I've been listening to mastodon since their "lifesblood" release. I like mastodon, but don't like their blood mountain material. Some call their new sound progression. IMHO, I find their older material (lifesblood and remission especially) to be much more powerful and moving then anything on blood mountain. I've seen them live recently w/ Converge (awesome show!!!) and when they played their older stuff, the place went through the roof w/ energy and lulled when they played the blood mountain material.

Apr 18, 2008 at 5:54 AM Post #22 of 51
I plan on going to see the Rockstar Mayhem tour this summer, mostly just to see Mastodon. Most of the other bands there I don't particularly care for anymore, but I'm sure it would still be a great show.

Apr 19, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #23 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find Gojira pretty lame and derivative, actually.

Here are some albums you might like if you like Mastodon so much, and most of it is better than most Mastodon. :p (Most of this is pretty well known stuff, so forgive me if you know it all)

Isis - Celestial
The Ocean - Precambrian
The Ocean - Aeolian
Neurosis - Through Silver in Blood
Baroness - The Red Album
Pig Destroyer - Prowler in the Yard
Tides - Resurface
Textures - Drawing Circles

I totally back those albums, particularly The Ocean, Neurosis and Baroness. For something else along those lines, check out band called Century. They have a new album on prosthetic records called Black Ocean, its awesome.

Apr 19, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #24 of 51
For all of the blood mountain haters out there, go see Mastadon live, it doesn't matter what song they play, it will crush you! I was lucky enough to see Mastadon, Lamb of God and Slayer live all at one show and I still believe that Mastadon put up the best set of the evening.

Apr 19, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #25 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by DylanNo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For all of the blood mountain haters out there, go see Mastadon live, it doesn't matter what song they play, it will crush you! I was lucky enough to see Mastadon, Lamb of God and Slayer live all at one show and I still believe that Mastadon put up the best set of the evening.

I don't think it's about hating Black Mountain so much as it is recognising the fact that it's their least good album. It's still good.

Also, of course Mastodon would put on the best show. Lamb of God is awful and Slayer is just wasting their time these days.
tongue.gif

Apr 20, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #27 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by DylanNo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have seen them live, and do agree that they slay. I just prefer their older material. I'm just hoping in their next album I see some of the harder edge the older stuff had. I'd like to go see them live again but now that they've become more mainstream; they tour with bands I wouldnt dare listen to. Couldn't stand paying for tickets and putting up with bands I can't stand just for Mastodon.

Apr 30, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #29 of 51
I don't know if this been mentioned before, but it seems like Mastodon have a new album in the works and they are hoping for a release late 2008!!! Opeth vs Mastodon for best metal album 2008? Feels like 2006 all over again
biggrin.gif
(Tool - 10'000 days vs Mastodon - Blood Mountain)

Metal Hammer - News Article

Quote:

So far, only one new songtitle has been revealed: "The Ghost of Karilla"

Commented Brann: "I dont want to give the theme away but I think the song title will leave a few people guessing. It's top secret. I can't divulge that information. It's more fun keeping it under wraps, but you can be assured that it's definitely another MASTODON record which is going to further in a couple of different directions and the stuff we've written so far is heavier than I expected."

and:
The 125-Plus People, Places and Things Ruling the Rock & Roll Universe : Rolling Stone

Quote:

...and the next record — due out this year — explores czarist Russia.

Very exciting
basshead.gif

May 1, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #30 of 51
Thanks, Henmyr...I can't wait to hear it! I just hope that they're not getting too much pressure from the big record label to rush the next album. From the article it sounds like they're taking their time with it but still, 2 years between releases isn't much.

After looking at it, Remission was released in 2002, Leviathan in 2004, and of course Blood Mountain came out in 2006, so I guess they're right on schedule.

Yeah, I'm also excited to hear Opeth's new offering. Plus, Meshuggah just released obZen. This is looking like a good year for metal!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back