Mastodon! \m/
Mar 25, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #46 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The new album is AMAZING
evil_smiley.gif

Agreed. I got the extra tracked itunes version and the scores w/o the voice sounds amazing, too. I would've loved it if the CDs had these tracks as well but itunes was the only choice for these tracks. I wonder special editions have these tracks on 'em.

Mar 27, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #49 of 51
Already had about four spins on this. The Last Baron is one of the most amazing tracks I've heard in a while that keeps me hooked for 13 mins straight.

Mar 27, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #50 of 51
I don't mind Troy Sanders's voice but the score w/o the vocal is equally amazing. Easily the best metal release so far.

Mar 27, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #51 of 51
Wow....it's definitely a prog album...but it's definitely still Mastodon too....awesome stuff. This is the first prog album I've ever heard that I could imagine someone drinking a beer and raising the devil horns to. Easily my favorite recent release.

I can't believe how much the vocals have improved since Blood Mountain (a guest appearance by Scott Kelly of Neurosis doesn't hurt). I think some of the vocal harmonies actually sound great. Brent, in particular, has taken a huge leap from awful Ozzy impersonator to fairly good Ozzy impersonator. I'd go as far as to say that I no longer think they need a dedicated lead singer.

I imagine it will be fairly polarizing, though. Fans of Remission and Leviathon might not appreciate the presence of keyboards and a moog synthesizer on some tracks. Oh well - there's still plenty of heavy riffs and drum fills for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back