Mastodon! \m/
Apr 16, 2008 at 7:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

MetalGeek

100+ Head-Fier
OK, so I have been on a serious Mastodon kick recently. I have been listening to them for a couple years now, but the last month or so has seen me listening to them a lot more than usual.

I was introduced to Mastodon a couple years ago by a college buddy who is a real metalhead. The first tracks he had me sample were "Crusher Destroyer", "March of the Fire Ants", and "Mother Puncher" off of Remission. I was absolutely blown away. Brann Dailor's drumming is nothing short of masterful, and Brent Hinds and Bill Kelliher have created some of the best guitar pieces I've ever heard. Their music is heavy and brutal while at the same time remaining intricate and, dare I say, even beautiful. I had never heard anything like it before, and I was hooked.

A couple months later I picked up a copy of Leviathan, and at first I didn't like it as much as Remission, particularly because there weren't any standout tracks that I could immediately cling to. I decided to listen to it again, all the way through without interruption. Wow...blown away again. As a whole, Leviathan is an incredible album that melts together to form a really awesome musical experience, and I gained an even greater appreciation for their music.

The first time I listened to Blood Mountain, I wasn't blown away. I thought it was good, but nothing special. It just didn't seem to have the same appeal as Leviathan. However, I listened to it again last week, and I absolutely loved it. It may actually surpass Leviathan as my favorite Mastodon album. Again, as with Leviathan, I really needed to listen to the whole album a couple times in order to gain an appreciation for it. Now I can't stop listening to it! Although I really love the whole album, in particular I have found "Sleeping Giant" to be my favorite track so far, and I really can't put my finger on the reason why. It just seems to stand out from the rest of the album while sitting between two faster and heavier songs in "Crystal Skull" and "Capillarian Crest".

If I can ever get myself to quit listening to Blood Mountain long enough, I should probably give Call of the Mastodon another shot, seeing since I just can't get enough of their music at this point.

In addition to my recent Mastodon listening kick I recently even started learning to play some of their songs on the guitar. I've almost got "Iron Tusk" down, and have been working on some of the less intricate parts from "Mother Puncher".

In light of all of this, I would almost have to say that Mastodon is rapidly becoming my favorite band, although I probably need to give it some more time before I can make that determination.

So, now that I've divulged my recent obsession, who else here enjoys listening to Mastodon?

Apr 16, 2008 at 1:36 PM Post #2 of 51
I like 'em. Remission remains their best album in my opinion but everything they've put out is good.

As you're a massive Mastodon fan I suggest the following bands, some of which sound similar or have members from Mastodon playing on the album:

Keelhaul
Old Man Gloom
Burnt By the Sun
Isis
Cave In
Botch

Apr 16, 2008 at 2:39 PM Post #3 of 51
I've listened to them since the Leviathan era, which was also the first album I heard from them. I then added Remission and enjoy both of them very much.

I do have Call of the Mastodon and Blood Mountain also. I do not find the CotM as refined as Levi/Rem but still, it does have some kick ass songs in there.

Blood Mountain is something else however. I do not think I like it as much as Levi/Rem. There is something in the sound which I just don't like.

Quote:

Blood Mountain Bashing:
Might be that I do not like the sound quality as much as Levi/Rem. The riffs are very very heavy, but something in the sound takes the heavyness away. The guitars are not as hard rocking as in Levi/Rem. They sound very compressed and not as crisp and brutal as in Levi/Rem.

Listen to "Colony of Birchmen" as an exemple. The song itself is very heavy, but the sound is so so lame and unheavy and this just kills the enjoyment for me. Every song is the same. "Capillarian Crest" is a good song, but the softness in the sound really removes the metalfeeling for me.

Then there is the distortion. Blood Mountain is just full of pops and cracks everywhere and no dynamic range at all. Every song looks like a brickwall in goldwave.

DT990 was the best headphone for that album, as the bass and hights added some kind of edge to the sound. Not even the ms2i works.

I am very very sad that Blood Mountain turned out the way it did, as I really longed for that album. I really hope that the next album will be better.

Some albums to show how I like my guitars (all different but heavy as hell):
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Machine Head - Supercharger
Megadeth - Rust in piece
Slayer - Reign in Blood
Mastodon - Leviathan

EDIT: I do however consider myself as a Mastodon fan, just not a Blood Mountain fan.

Apr 16, 2008 at 3:32 PM Post #4 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henmyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do have Call of the Mastodon and Blood Mountain also. I do not find the CotM as refined as Levi/Rem but still, it does have some kick ass songs in there.

Blood Mountain is something else however. I do not think I like it as much as Levi/Rem. There is something in the sound which I just don't like.

I'll see you on that. I have all 4 albums and I too have a problem keeping Blood Mountain in the CDP. I love Leviathan and Remission though.

Apr 16, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #5 of 51
They're pretty good. They also serve as a gateway drug to a lot of really excellent stuff.

Remission is still their best work, in my opinion.

Apr 16, 2008 at 9:52 PM Post #6 of 51
Thanks for the recommendations. As it is, I have a huge list of bands that have been recommended to me to try. Can't hurt to add a few more, eh?

My friend who introduced me to Mastodon instructed me to listen to Gojira as well, so I've got that to do as well.

So much music, so little time!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 17, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #8 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalGeek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the recommendations. As it is, I have a huge list of bands that have been recommended to me to try. Can't hurt to add a few more, eh?

My friend who introduced me to Mastodon instructed me to listen to Gojira as well, so I've got that to do as well.

So much music, so little time!
smily_headphones1.gif

I find Gojira pretty lame and derivative, actually.

Here are some albums you might like if you like Mastodon so much, and most of it is better than most Mastodon. :p (Most of this is pretty well known stuff, so forgive me if you know it all)

Isis - Celestial
The Ocean - Precambrian
The Ocean - Aeolian
Neurosis - Through Silver in Blood
Baroness - The Red Album
Pig Destroyer - Prowler in the Yard
Tides - Resurface
Textures - Drawing Circles

Apr 17, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #9 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ah well, to each his own. I haven't heard much, but I do like what I have heard.

Quote:

Here are some albums you might like if you like Mastodon so much, and most of it is better than most Mastodon. :p (Most of this is pretty well known stuff, so forgive me if you know it all)

Hmmmm...better than Mastodon? Not so sure I trust your judgment after all!
rolleyes.gif
(just kidding)

Quote:

Isis - Celestial
The Ocean - Precambrian
The Ocean - Aeolian
Baroness - The Red Album
Tides - Resurface

I like Isis, at least when I'm in the mood. The only thing keeping me from absolutely loving them is that the tempo really doesn't change much throughout the entire album. That, and you can barely hear the vocals. Their music just seems a bit monotonous after a while, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's great if I just want to sit and relax and let my brain float for a while. So far I've only heard Panopticon, Oceanic, and SGNL 05, so thanks for the recommendation on that...I'll check it out for sure.

Baroness has been recommended to me by two of my friends, including my metalhead friend just earlier today. Guess I have to give them another listen.

Pig Destroyer is a lot of fun. "Gravedancer" from Terrifyer is a great track. Haven't had the opportunity to listen to much else from them.

The rest I haven't heard yet. Looks like I've got 4 more bands to add to the list. Thanks!

Another band I've had recommended to me recently is Pelican. Kinda reminds me of Isis, if you're interested. Again, didn't get a chance to listen to much of it, but I liked what I heard.

Apr 17, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #10 of 51
Quote:

Isis - Celestial
The Ocean - Precambrian
The Ocean - Aeolian
Baroness - The Red Album
Tides - Resurface

I second the recommendation of The Ocean. Talk about being blown away!. This new one, Precambian, has everything that I want in a Prog Metal album.

Apr 17, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #11 of 51
Also, as far as poor sound quality on Blood Mountain goes, if you got the rip that Josh Homme from Queens of the Stone Age let loose on the internet (it contains an extra track with an oral "fan letter" from him to the band), the quality is absolutely terrible compared to the actual CD. I own the CD and have heard the Homme rip, so I can personally attest to it. Well worth the investment!

Apr 17, 2008 at 7:03 AM Post #12 of 51
Quote:

Also, as far as poor sound quality on Blood Mountain goes, if you got the rip that Josh Homme from Queens of the Stone Age let loose on the internet (it contains an extra track with an oral "fan letter" from him to the band), the quality is absolutely terrible compared to the actual CD. I own the CD and have heard the Homme rip, so I can personally attest to it. Well worth the investment!

Nah I have the retail cd. Haven't heard the Josh Homme rip.

Apr 17, 2008 at 7:44 AM Post #13 of 51
I figured you had the CD, but thought it was worth mentioning anyway. There had been a lot of complaints about the sound quality on this album all over the internet, and I figured that at least a few of them might have had that copy. I could be wrong...certainly wouldn't be the first time I was wrong about something!

I dunno, it sounds great to me!

Apr 17, 2008 at 8:13 AM Post #14 of 51
Quote:

I dunno, it sounds great to me!

Thats all that matters
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm listening to the remastered Opeth - Still Life atm. Some people have complained about the sound, but it's fine for me
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 17, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #15 of 51
Opeth = good stuff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back