Master Noise Cancelling Shootout: Sony MDR-1RNC vs. Sony MDR-NWNC200 vs. AKG K490NC vs. Bose QC15 vs. Sennheiser Momentum vs. Harman Kardon NC
Nov 13, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #16 of 39
Man I love a good NC battle. Thanks OP 
biggrin.gif

Dec 18, 2013 at 5:06 AM Post #18 of 39
I'm just about to buy new ANC headphones for plane travel (UK-US, which is too long for IEM) and am looking at H/K NC. Nearest alternative seem to be PSB M4U 2, but they cost some 50% more here and I'm not amazed by their plastic band. Also, from reviews I have seen so far it would seem that H/K NC have better noise cancellation and this is actually important for me. Do you have any more thoughts to share on H/K NC? I am especially interested why these are (or perhaps "were"?) your favourite headphones. Thanks!

Dec 18, 2013 at 5:29 AM Post #19 of 39
Are the Sony's any good? The worst hps I have ever heard are a pair of Sony MDR-NC6 I own. Just horrible.

Dec 21, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #20 of 39
  I'm just about to buy new ANC headphones for plane travel (UK-US, which is too long for IEM) and am looking at H/K NC. Nearest alternative seem to be PSB M4U 2, but they cost some 50% more here and I'm not amazed by their plastic band. Also, from reviews I have seen so far it would seem that H/K NC have better noise cancellation and this is actually important for me. Do you have any more thoughts to share on H/K NC? I am especially interested why these are (or perhaps "were"?) your favourite headphones. Thanks!

Are the Sony's any good? The worst hps I have ever heard are a pair of Sony MDR-NC6 I own. Just horrible.

I'll be honest with you - at first I liked the 1RNC. They're not bad, but in the end, not what I wanted. But that's why we're on head-fi, right?

I really do like the HK - I think they are good. They get great marks from me on overall SQ, soundstage, etc. But I have to tell you, I think Sony got the balance right on the new - and cheaper - NC cans. The sound is nowhere near as anemic on the 1RNC and the comfort is much better for my ears than either the HK or the 1RNC. The HK probably edges it in overall SQ, but for weight and comfort, the Sony is better for me. The Sony is close enough SQ wise that I haven't been using the HK. I still feel the HK are worth it, but their odd shape and such may not work for everyone. They're definitely not as heavy as the 1RNC - not by a long shot.

Sony also did something in the NC because outside of the SQ being better (IMO, of course) with it on, the new one seems to be a bit more effective. I attribute some of that to a better fit, but that can't be all of it. I have used on I think four flights now all in different spots on the plane including over wing/engine.

So I like both the HK and the Sony now, with the Sony being my primary pair on the road now. The Costco version which I got for $180 is the right price - same thing, just slightly different model number and packaging.

I'll do a more formal comparison when I get a chance, but I don't think you can go wrong with the HKs. YMMV, of course.

Dec 23, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #21 of 39

I'll be honest with you - at first I liked the 1RNC. They're not bad, but in the end, not what I wanted. But that's why we're on head-fi, right?

I really do like the HK - I think they are good. They get great marks from me on overall SQ, soundstage, etc. But I have to tell you, I think Sony got the balance right on the new - and cheaper - NC cans. The sound is nowhere near as anemic on the 1RNC and the comfort is much better for my ears than either the HK or the 1RNC. The HK probably edges it in overall SQ, but for weight and comfort, the Sony is better for me. The Sony is close enough SQ wise that I haven't been using the HK. I still feel the HK are worth it, but their odd shape and such may not work for everyone. They're definitely not as heavy as the 1RNC - not by a long shot.

Sony also did something in the NC because outside of the SQ being better (IMO, of course) with it on, the new one seems to be a bit more effective. I attribute some of that to a better fit, but that can't be all of it. I have used on I think four flights now all in different spots on the plane including over wing/engine.

So I like both the HK and the Sony now, with the Sony being my primary pair on the road now. The Costco version which I got for $180 is the right price - same thing, just slightly different model number and packaging.

I'll do a more formal comparison when I get a chance, but I don't think you can go wrong with the HKs. YMMV, of course.

Thank you,

I went for HK NC, found them cheap in Costco.co.uk (I think I bought last pair!) and am very happy, despite unusual design. The design is not actually not bad, just different. Very comfortable and weight is OK for me, wore them 8 hours in the office with no fatigue. No microphonics from cable at all, however there are some from metal frame so one has to be sometimes mindful wearing them. I really, really like their SQ, so the next purchase is good DAP. One good DAP I have is Epiphany Acoustic, but it's not portable; Sansa Zip is too feeble; so for now I'm playing from Blackberry. As for NC it is mildly effective (attenuates lows a lot, but not so effective with mids) but, and that is really awesome, it leaves SQ virtually unchanged. It will definitely make my long haul travels more palatable.

I can imagine Sony MDR 10RNC might have better design or NC, but they are actually not sold here in UK (weirdly, MDR 10RBT are).

Feb 1, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #22 of 39
Quick update: still using the Sony 10RNC. Now that we can use headphones the entire flight, I flew to the UK this weekend and was sitting over the wing. With NC on, it took care of the louder engine noise during takeoff. Still very comfortable, so I think these are going to be in the arsenal for awhile.

Feb 26, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #23 of 39
How far off is the sound quality between the momentum (on ear and over ear) and the HK's? i'm looking for the best isolation/sound within a $300 budget, they don't actually have to have ANC but if it means only giving up minimal sound quality then it might be a feature good to have for travel , definitely closed back, not too massively bulky i've seemingly narrowed it down to the over year momentums (which i haven't tried yet, i've tried on ear and they are good but leak too much sound) the HK NCs. I'm all ears. 

Feb 27, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #24 of 39
  How far off is the sound quality between the momentum (on ear and over ear) and the HK's? i'm looking for the best isolation/sound within a $300 budget, they don't actually have to have ANC but if it means only giving up minimal sound quality then it might be a feature good to have for travel , definitely closed back, not too massively bulky i've seemingly narrowed it down to the over year momentums (which i haven't tried yet, i've tried on ear and they are good but leak too much sound) the HK NCs. I'm all ears.

I don't own the Momentum and at this point, anything would be memory. I only compared the other Sony to it, so I never owned the HK and Momentum at the same time. As I noted, they were not isolating enough for my purposes, nor were the P7s (which I would rank above the Momentum). I am most likely going to sell the HK since I'm happy with the new Sony cans. If you fly a lot like I do, cans like the P7 or Momentum will be disappointing - they don't block out things properly.

Jun 4, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #25 of 39
Just purchased a pair of Harman NC's off of their website for 149.99 refurbed.  Looking forward to testing these out, I came close to getting the MDR-1RNC's but thanks to your thread you helped me save some major $$$, thanks!

Jun 12, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #26 of 39
  Just purchased a pair of Harman NC's off of their website for 149.99 refurbed.  Looking forward to testing these out, I came close to getting the MDR-1RNC's but thanks to your thread you helped me save some major $$$, thanks!

For that price, you should hopefully enjoy them.

The new Sony NC (the 10 variant) which Costco sells I saw as low as $125 which is a great deal. I'm still using 'em. Still have the HKs as well.

Jul 12, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #27 of 39
FenderP,
I'm about to replace my Sennheiser PCX-450 headphones because the ear pads are starting to come apart. (which seems to be an eventual  problem on all headphones I buy except the velour pads on my beyerdynamic headphones). Replacement pads are $60 and the headphones are 5 years old so they're not really worth replacing plus they weren't the most comfortable headphones. They fit well around my ears but there was a protruding component behind the speaker cloth that would occasionally push into my ear so I'd have to readjust their position. It's time for something new. 

I agree the Bose have very good ANC and I understand why they're so popular. Last year I did a direct comparison with the Sennheisers on a plane and the ANC on the Bose was better (and they were very comfortable too) but since I prefer not to compromise sound quality I'd like to consider something other than Bose so I appreciate your review. I'm only considering a circumaural design because I can't wear on-ear headphones for long periods of time.  

The Sony's from Costco seem appealing based on your review but have you seen some of the negative reviews at Costco.com? One common complaint was the cable being too loose and falling out. Another talks of RF interference. I know I can't base my decision on just the negative reviews from average Costco customers vs. head-fi but thought I'd ask you if there's any basis to some of those negative claims. It's certainly worth trying them based on your opinion alone considering the time and effort you put into finding a pair that works best for you plus the price can't be beat if they're as good as you say. I 'm pretty sure I'll have a pair by tomorrow. 

Jul 13, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #28 of 39
In a comparison of noise cancelling headphones the Audio Technica ATH ANC9 should be on the list.  Very good NC, excellent SQ and unlike Bose, you can still listen with a dead battery.  Pretty decent build quality as well.

Jul 13, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #29 of 39
  The Sony's from Costco seem appealing based on your review but have you seen some of the negative reviews at Costco.com? One common complaint was the cable being too loose and falling out. Another talks of RF interference. I know I can't base my decision on just the negative reviews from average Costco customers vs. head-fi but thought I'd ask you if there's any basis to some of those negative claims. It's certainly worth trying them based on your opinion alone considering the time and effort you put into finding a pair that works best for you plus the price can't be beat if they're as good as you say. I 'm pretty sure I'll have a pair by tomorrow.

I've had no issues - zero - with the Costco Sony version of the NC cans. They have literally been around the world. No loose cable, no RF interference on planes that I've heard (and I fly on WiFi enabled planes). By no means am I claiming they are the best cans ever. They are a good match with my NW-807 sonically. I'm not sure what people are expecting from these. Certainly it's possible to get a bad copy of anything. Maybe I just got lucky. Who knows. No regrets here as I am still using them (in fact, on a trip in Europe right now ...).

Jul 13, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #30 of 39
  In a comparison of noise cancelling headphones the Audio Technica ATH ANC9 should be on the list.  Very good NC, excellent SQ and unlike Bose, you can still listen with a dead battery.  Pretty decent build quality as well.

Most NC cans these days (Sony included) can be used without NC turned on. And unless you're buying me a pair to try, my list stays as is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back