Master & Dynamic MH40 Over Ear Headphone
Oct 29, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #466 of 624
Amazon is showing a S2 version of the MH40, but no where on M&D’s site is there a mention of a newer series.

Oct 29, 2018 at 10:28 PM Post #467 of 624
I like the design and M&D has a limited edition Rolling Stones version including a case which is right up my alley.

Oct 29, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #468 of 624
Amazon is showing a S2 version of the MH40, but no where on M&D’s site is there a mention of a newer series.

Curious. I believe the "S" is just for "Silver", a color code for the silver & tan, but since Amazon also lists a black version as MH40B1, it does seem the last part refers to some revision?

Oct 31, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #469 of 624
Just my two cents,

Be nice if the exchange rate was nicer to some US made headphones though personally & subjectively, heritage grade fashion cans with decent sound.

So maybe one day for the collection.

Oct 31, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #470 of 624
Just my two cents,

Be nice if the exchange rate was nicer to some US made headphones though personally & subjectively, heritage grade fashion cans with decent sound.

What’s the retail price where you are? Also, did you check Amazon in your country?

Oct 31, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #471 of 624
Just my two cents,

What’s the retail price where you are? Also, did you check Amazon in your country?

I got really lucky on Amazon UK recently. I was talking to someone from the USA about the MH40 and decided to check the prices here in the UK. Most of the color options were between £300 and £400 at the time except for one color. That one was £160 (brand new ). I was unsure about the color but decided to take a chance. Now that I have it, I love it! It was the last one in that color. Now the prices on Amazon Uk are mostly around £300 except for the Alacantra option for around £200. I know nothing about that one. It looks like it has different more suedelike pads..

Anyway... here is mine... the Camo/Black! I am happy with them and with the deal I got :)

10187136.jpg

Oct 31, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #472 of 624
I got really lucky on Amazon UK recently. I was talking to someone from the USA about the MH40 and decided to check the prices here in the UK. Most of the color options were between £300 and £400 at the time except for one color. That one was £160 (brand new ). I was unsure about the color but decided to take a chance. Now that I have it, I love it! It was the last one in that color. Now the prices on Amazon Uk are mostly around £300 except for the Alacantra option for around £200. I know nothing about that one. It looks like it has different more suedelike pads..

Anyway... here is mine... the Camo/Black! I am happy with them and with the deal I got :)

10187136.jpg

Very nice! Great price, too!

Oct 31, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #473 of 624

10187136.jpg

Hi @mbwilson111, @jwbrent,

Annoying part is Amazon Global is no longer availabe where I am for various reasons, whether that changes in the future, one can hope. Regardless, exchange rates are usually the killer, not to mention, there are few good US products which are easily available &/or for a good price, average price now after exchange for MH 40 where I am is about $ 500+ & that is from a decent retailer, not department store where it is the more ridiculous price $ 800 +

Not to mention, as I already have several headphones in my collection, I can't really justify the MH 40 any time soon though if I can swing it down the line & it's justifiable, $ 500 max would be my limit in local currency.

@mbwilson111, Alcantra is 'higher end' synthetic leather which has a similar average feel to lambskin & more importantly, lightweight compared to leather, around 40% less heavy on average than natural leather.
Basically, if you can't get leather for something, especially pad wise & you're not a fan of PU leather or suede, go Alcantra.
Fun fact, several car manufacturers use Alcantra as a premium option for various reasons.

Hope you both have a great day !

Oct 31, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #474 of 624

Annoying part is Amazon Global is no longer availabe where I am for various reasons, whether that changes in the future, one can hope. Regardless, exchange rates are usually the killer, not to mention, there are few good US products which are easily available &/or for a good price, average price now after exchange for MH 40 where I am is about $ 500+ & that is from a decent retailer, not department store where it is the more ridiculous price $ 800 +

Not to mention, as I already have several headphones in my collection, I can't really justify the MH 40 any time soon though if I can swing it down the line & it's justifiable, $ 500 max would be my limit in local currency.

@mbwilson111, Alcantra is 'higher end' synthetic leather which has a similar average feel to lambskin & more importantly, lightweight compared to leather, around 40% less heavy on average than natural leather.
Basically, if you can't get leather for something, especially pad wise & you're not a fan of PU leather or suede, go Alcantra.
Fun fact, several car manufacturers use Alcantra as a premium option for various reasons.

$500+ to $800! Way way too much. Better off keeping an eye on the classifieds here or placing a Wanted post since used they’d be $200-$250. The other option is if you have a friend or relative here in the states, maybe they can get the ones on sale at Amazon for $250 and then ship them to you.

Oct 31, 2018 at 10:21 PM Post #475 of 624
$500+ to $800! Way way too much. Better off keeping an eye on the classifieds here or placing a Wanted post since used they’d be $200-$250. The other option is if you have a friend or relative here in the states, maybe they can get the ones on sale at Amazon for $250 and then ship them to you.

Hi @jwbrent,

Exactly my point, which is why I said if I feel it is worthwhile which is not as sound wise, the MH 40 are on par with many headphones I have already.
Also, just for your info, based on exchange rates, as said, $ 500 is the max here I would pay though it is still very unlikely for already stated reasons.
As to classifieds, ebay, etc, don't do that kind of thing or buy second hand as even from a dealer, there are many bad dealings which I want no part of.
Sadly, no friends or relatives stateside so hard to get that done & till there is standardised freight forwarding (which would be unlikely to happen from most US retailers direct), it's not worth the shipping either.

Anyway, appreciate the feedback.

Hope you have a great day !

Oct 31, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #476 of 624
Understand. I always like to buy factory sealed as well. Take care ...

Nov 1, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #477 of 624

@mbwilson111 knows the premium feel of Alcantara because she has them on her Shure SRH1540. :)

Nov 26, 2018 at 8:24 PM Post #478 of 624
Well, for $199 on Amazon, I couldn’t resist. Gunmetal and black MH40s arrive later this week ...

Dec 3, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #479 of 624
Well, for $199 on Amazon, I couldn’t resist. Gunmetal and black MH40s arrive later this week ...
I also picked up a set from Amazon, just got them yesterday. Here are initial impressions

Build Quality
These are by far the highest quality heapdhones I own, they ooze quality, everything is leather or metal. Feels great on my head and they look fantastic.

Sound Quality
A little is left to be desired, they are no where near as good as my HD6XX and quite frankly I don't think they're as good as my M50x. These are very bass forward and lack trebles. These would do great for modern music, like pop, hip hop and EDM. Wouldn't recommend these for people who like classical or even classic rock.

Dec 3, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #480 of 624
Sound Quality
A little is left to be desired, they are no where near as good as my HD6XX and quite frankly I don't think they're as good as my M50x. These are very bass forward and lack trebles. These would do great for modern music, like pop, hip hop and EDM. Wouldn't recommend these for people who like classical or even classic rock.

I love mine and I do not listen to hiphop or EDM. I mostly listen to singer songwriters, blues, classical, ambient, indi, acoustic, folk, folk rock, alterative, classic rock, classical, some jazz, world music.... pretty much everything except EDM and Hip Hop.

Because I hate clamp, I have gradually and gently stretched mine to have less clamp. I do find if I press the harder against my ears, I do get the sound more like you describe. Sounds better to me the way I am wearing mine now and I do not find a lack of treble. Yes, there is good bass but it does not overpower for me. Actually I think if I was listening to something like EDM it might be overpowering for me because the music is.

Loosening the clamp does mean I can't shake my head around with them on...

Mine are well burned in now but I can't say if that made a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back