Master & Dynamic MH40 Over Ear Headphone
Aug 7, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #436 of 624
It was cutting in and out for half an hour then stopped. I had a friend open the cup to measure it and it seems the driver died.

Anyway as it died on my watch I exchanged my MS2e with the owner and send it in for repair. M&D staffs were friendly, but as I could not produce an invoice they wouldn't let me claim my 2-year warranty. This was most unfortunate because in VN 100% of the time the warranty is based on a "stamp" attached to the item. My cans still have that, which said it was purchased in May 2017. But M&D wouldn't accept it as proof.

In total the repair cost me ~$80, including the shipping fee from CA to NY. I think I can buy an used (and working) pair in Vietnam for ~230, so the experience leaves a very bad taste in the mouth for me. Yeah I think drivers shouldn't have any problem before 5 years at least. My HD540 from the 80s are still working well.

The MH40 doesn't sound bad in anyway but I'm still greatly bothered by the whole ordeal. I think I'll give it to my brother.
Yes, that would leave a sour taste in my mouth as well and quite possibly cause me to not support the company again. By trying to save a few dollars on a legitimate, but contestable warranty claim they end up with bad public publicity and maybe lose a customer. Just seems like a lot to risk for maybe a $50 savings. Oh well, hopefully you have better luck with any new headphones you try in the future. Cheers.

Aug 7, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #437 of 624
Yeah I'm not impressed with M&D customer service either. My GF got for me the MH30 for xmas after wanting to get them for the longest time as I love the way they look, but could not bring myself to spend the ridiculous price they charge here in Australia. They are "Silver Metal / Brown Leather" but the leather cable box that came with them was black leather. I remember seeing in reviews that they had a brown leather one so I emailed M&D asking about this and heard back what you hear from your broken driver, nothing.

Like this:

master-dynamic-mh30-headphones-5.jpg

Aug 8, 2018 at 8:30 PM Post #438 of 624
Yeah I'm not impressed with M&D customer service either. My GF got for me the MH30 for xmas after wanting to get them for the longest time as I love the way they look, but could not bring myself to spend the ridiculous price they charge here in Australia. They are "Silver Metal / Brown Leather" but the leather cable box that came with them was black leather. I remember seeing in reviews that they had a brown leather one so I emailed M&D asking about this and heard back what you hear from your broken driver, nothing.

Like this:

I think the first sets of MH30s and MH40s regardless of the color of your headphones, came with the black cable box.

Aug 9, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #439 of 624
I think the first sets of MH30s and MH40s regardless of the color of your headphones, came with the black cable box.
I wouldn't mind that either but a un-replied message can never do good for your business... It almost happened to me also, but to be fair the (other) M&D staff that followed through with me were patient and friendly enough. It just sucks that for a premium brand their policies are kinda not so premium. Considering the service many on this forums have got, I'm sure other brands will quickly send another cable case for free.
Speaking from the perspectives of someone working in the consulting business, I hold the belief that it's small things that count. nd I don't think M&D did those small things right, at least for me.

Aug 9, 2018 at 10:37 PM Post #440 of 624
I wouldn't mind that either but a un-replied message can never do good for your business... It almost happened to me also, but to be fair the (other) M&D staff that followed through with me were patient and friendly enough. It just sucks that for a premium brand their policies are kinda not so premium. Considering the service many on this forums have got, I'm sure other brands will quickly send another cable case for free.
Speaking from the perspectives of someone working in the consulting business, I hold the belief that it's small things that count. nd I don't think M&D did those small things right, at least for me.
Totally agree. Although for me, I don't get the vibe that Master & Dynamic are going for that Audeze or Mr Speakers boutique headphone company image (which would, I assume, be more receptive to customer concerns) but more like a normal company like AKG, Sennheiser, Sony... Those companies have their fair share of mixed results when dealing with their customer support.

Sep 6, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #442 of 624
im figuring out what brand of cable made a short 3.5mm cable that fits the mh40. I tried some from ugreen but the cable doesent plugs all the way (my wifa have an audiotechnica Ath-sr5 and have the exact same plug. so even if i lost my cables, i would be in trouble getting a proper 3.5mm cable.
Does anybody knows any brand who sells a good cable that match our mh40?

I got these adapters (3 pack) that i plug into the headphone and allows me to use any 3rd party cord: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B016E5PEXC
hopefully i'm not committing some audio faux pas by adding another piece to my chain... ? meh.

Would be interested in 3rd party cable recommendations that fit without help, "slim" headphone cables

61-D-%2B2SJcL._SL1000_.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2018 at 12:12 AM Post #443 of 624
I got these adapters (3 pack) that i plug into the headphone and allows me to use any 3rd party cord: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B016E5PEXC
hopefully i'm not committing some audio faux pas by adding another piece to my chain... ? meh.

Would be interested in 3rd party cable recommendations that fit without help, "slim" headphone cables

61-D-%2B2SJcL._SL1000_.jpg
Great idea, but guess will be not that confortable since it will be increasing the total lenght coming out from the headphone.
BTW, did anyone have the Radsone ES100? it moves the the MH40 with more punchy dynamics

Sep 8, 2018 at 1:14 AM Post #445 of 624
Great idea, but guess will be not that confortable since it will be increasing the total lenght coming out from the headphone.
BTW, did anyone have the Radsone ES100? it moves the the MH40 with more punchy dynamics

I use my LG V30 with its awesome Quad DAC to drive my headphones (Beyer DT 1770 Pro). I've auditioned the MH40 twice now, and have much respect for it (though I still found my DT 1770 to be superior). I will say, after looking at that Radsone ES100, I have to say I'm pretty impressed! Not one but TWO high-quality DACs for under $100?! That's nuts! Plus strong reviews too, including this one which actually mentions the ES100 being tested on my DT 1770 as well!). If I didn't have the Quad DAC (or if I ever switch to another phone that doesn't have excellent audio), I would STRONGLY consider this device!

Thanks for posting about it Marco!

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #446 of 624
Sep 13, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #448 of 624
Oct 14, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #449 of 624
This seems more of an advanced question as only one person asked about this serveal pages ago and looks like nobody answer, but does anybody know if the headphone has two separate 3.5mm female inputs for each cup? (meaning each cup has its own ground and positive connector). I want to run these in balanced mode with a DAP and I can't find much more info than the specs on their website saying "dual 3.5mm input" but doesnt state what topology of polarity they use or if each channel has its own ground.

Oct 14, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #450 of 624
This seems more of an advanced question as only one person asked about this serveal pages ago and looks like nobody answer, but does anybody know if the headphone has two separate 3.5mm female inputs for each cup? (meaning each cup has its own ground and positive connector). I want to run these in balanced mode with a DAP and I can't find much more info than the specs on their website saying "dual 3.5mm input" but doesnt state what topology of polarity they use or if each channel has its own ground.
No. You can plug into either cup to listen or daisy chain and have another person plug into the free cup to hear the same music you are hearing but it cannot be used to have a balanced setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back