Master & Dynamic MH40 Over Ear Headphone
Jun 8, 2017 at 3:52 AM Post #406 of 624
I couldn't resist being a huge Leica fan ... the MH40B-95:

I should have them on Friday and after some playing time, I'll do a review.
Very nice looking headphones. Master & Dynamic have been very busy with collaborations lately. They have a similar style for their Youtube headphones and a sky/baby blue and black mw60 Bamford edition.

Jun 9, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #407 of 624
I couldn't resist being a huge Leica fan ... the MH40B-95:

I should have them on Friday and after some playing time, I'll do a review.

I just found out M&D didn't ship until today, and there appears to be a longer delivery date than the promised overnight delivery. I have an email into them, but I'm a bit disappointed that they don't seem to call back when a message is left, instead, they send an email that only obfuscates the issue.

Jun 12, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #408 of 624
I just found out M&D didn't ship until today, and there appears to be a longer delivery date than the promised overnight delivery. I have an email into them, but I'm a bit disappointed that they don't seem to call back when a message is left, instead, they send an email that only obfuscates the issue.

My continuing saga with trying to make a purchase with M&D.

On Friday, I finally received an email response to my phone message about the delay in my order. To recap, I ordered the MH40B-95 late Wednesday night Pacific time due to the free overnight shipping promotion that M&D was offering. I anticipated a Friday delivery so I could enjoy my new purchase over the weekend. Thursday, I received an email that my order was getting ready for shipment, but with no tracking number. On Thursday afternoon, I called M&D to get a tracking number and had to leave a message. I finally heard back from an employee via email saying my order was shipping and he provided a tracking number. Later that day, I checked the tracking number and it said the order was shipping ground and the anticipated delivery date would be 8 days later.

I tried calling them, and again, no one answered. I then emailed the person who had contacted me, and when he replied, he commented that they were out of stock and my order would not ship till Friday. He assured me I would receive it Monday.

This morning, I checked the UPS tracking number and the order had not shipped, and when it was to ship it would be by UPS Ground. I emailed the employee, but after a few hours of not hearing back, I tried for the third time to call M&D--again no one picked up the phone.

At this point, I'm frustrated by the poor customer service and the misinformation that I had received, twice. Clearly, unless my experience is an anomaly, M&D is not well practiced in providing good service that is expected from a high quality brand.

I can't endorse a product with such questionable service, so I left a message asking for a refund. Up to this point, UPS is still showing that the product has not shipped.

So, sorry, no review forthcoming.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #409 of 624
My continuing saga with trying to make a purchase with M&D.

On Friday, I finally received an email response to my phone message about the delay in my order. To recap, I ordered the MH40B-95 late Wednesday night Pacific time due to the free overnight shipping promotion that M&D was offering. I anticipated a Friday delivery so I could enjoy my new purchase over the weekend. Thursday, I received an email that my order was getting ready for shipment, but with no tracking number. On Thursday afternoon, I called M&D to get a tracking number and had to leave a message. I finally heard back from an employee via email saying my order was shipping and he provided a tracking number. Later that day, I checked the tracking number and it said the order was shipping ground and the anticipated delivery date would be 8 days later.

I tried calling them, and again, no one answered. I then emailed the person who had contacted me, and when he replied, he commented that they were out of stock and my order would not ship till Friday. He assured me I would receive it Monday.

This morning, I checked the UPS tracking number and the order had not shipped, and when it was to ship it would be by UPS Ground. I emailed the employee, but after a few hours of not hearing back, I tried for the third time to call M&D--again no one picked up the phone.

At this point, I'm frustrated by the poor customer service and the misinformation that I had received, twice. Clearly, unless my experience is an anomaly, M&D is not well practiced in providing good service that is expected from a high quality brand.

I can't endorse a product with such questionable service, so I left a message asking for a refund. Up to this point, UPS is still showing that the product has not shipped.

So, sorry, no review forthcoming.
Damn. Sorry for the bad experience. I received (via Christmas gift) their product from Amazon Spain and had some issues registering it. I emailed them the info and they registered it for me no problem.

Dec 24, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #410 of 624
I was looking for a closed headphone and nearly pulled the trigger on the Fostex Purplehearts. Then I started reading about the MH40's (always loved their looks). It sounds like they are more up my alley sound wise. My favorite headphones to date are my HD650's and Meze 99 classics and HP50's...so I definitely lean towards warm vs neutral or bright. Well when I saw a pair of barely used MH40's in blue/silver (my favorite color scheme) on Amazon for $226 I pulled the trigger. Can't wait to check them out.

Dec 25, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #411 of 624
I was looking for a closed headphone and nearly pulled the trigger on the Fostex Purplehearts. Then I started reading about the MH40's (always loved their looks). It sounds like they are more up my alley sound wise. My favorite headphones to date are my HD650's and Meze 99 classics and HP50's...so I definitely lean towards warm vs neutral or bright. Well when I saw a pair of barely used MH40's in blue/silver (my favorite color scheme) on Amazon for $226 I pulled the trigger. Can't wait to check them out.
Nice deal!

Apr 26, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #412 of 624
Here's a picture of my brown MH40. I picked it up a month ago and I have to say, it has become my favourite portable headphone. I've owned a few portables (check my signature) but these are by far the best built thing I've ever held. The sound is also sooo non-fatiguing, and I mean even more so than the PM-3 and PM-1, which are known to be super smooth. The dynamics are also as good the 99 classics. The only thing I can complain about is the slightly tubby upper bass that could add a bit of murkiness to the sound.
MH40.jpg

Apr 26, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #413 of 624
Here's a picture of my brown MH40. I picked it up a month ago and I have to say, it has become my favourite portable headphone. I've owned a few portables (check my signature) but these are by far the best built thing I've ever held. The sound is also sooo non-fatiguing, and I mean even more so than the PM-3 and PM-1, which are known to be super smooth. The dynamics are also as good the 99 classics. The only thing I can complain about is the slightly tubby upper bass that could add a bit of murkiness to the sound.
I have these same ones as my commuting headphone. Really enjoy them. Master & Dynamic has a 50% off sale for their new usbc or lightning cable going on until the 29th on their website. Just in case anyone needed those kinds of cables to avoid dongles.

Apr 26, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #414 of 624
I have these same ones as my commuting headphone. Really enjoy them. Master & Dynamic has a 50% off sale for their new usbc or lightning cable going on until the 29th on their website. Just in case anyone needed those kinds of cables to avoid dongles.
I'm just waiting for the 50% sale on their concrete speaker.

Apr 27, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #416 of 624
I inquired to Master & Dynamic if their new lightning cable was going to be equipped with a DAC, and their response was that there is one, much like Apple’s dongle. He was checking with their technicians to determine the resolution of DAC.

Apr 27, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #417 of 624
probably
I inquired to Master & Dynamic if their new lightning cable was going to be equipped with a DAC, and their response was that there is one, much like Apple’s dongle. He was checking with their technicians to determine the resolution of DAC.
From reading a whathifi article it seems ios softwware limited music out of the older phones' headphone jacks to 24-bit/48kHz. Perhaps the cable's output is that or perhaps 24/192 like a lot of other smart phones.

Last edited:
May 1, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #418 of 624
Has any one tried the Alcantara pads for the Master & Dynamic MH40's? Was thinking of picking them up to replace my brown pads that may be wearing down. I am wondering if anyone has tried them, what is the feel, and does the Alcantara pads change the sound?

May 13, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #419 of 624
I bought one of those M&D Lightning cables when they were 50% off, and I don't even have any M&D cans, but the cable works great with other headphones that use 3.5mm on the headphone side. The MH40 are very sexy looking, I would love to pick up some of these used.

May 13, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #420 of 624
Having owned these for around 1 month I think it's a shame the MH40 doesn't get much attention around head-fi. It's now my headphones for work. Very musical and details, somewhat warm-ish and better for Vocals-centric music, but still good enough for Metal.

I know this is a very old quote and I see that you no longer have these, but I noticed that in another thread you started just in November of last year, you again mentioned that you think the MH40 is under appreciated on Head-Fi. I'm curious as to why you got rid of them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back