Master & Dynamic MH40 Over Ear Headphone
Sep 6, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #376 of 624
I modded a pair of these with extremly good results.

I removed the plastic backing that prevents them from being full open aired. Used some jb weld to lock the cup hinge points, recabled them and put blu tack around the interior of the larger housing.

The JB weld has to be flexed after 6-8 hours of drying to create a groove for the set screws on the hinge.

The result is the amazing vocal range opens up alittle more and the boomy bass dissapears. AB'ed them with a floor model with the same result.

They can be fatiguing but on vintage mode on my hm-901 they really shine. Especially since I have 16 bufs on my minibox gold card.

Oct 30, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #379 of 624
No problem. I wont take them apart again but the attached images show the majority of what was done. The blu tack cannot be seen as it is inside the larger housing that the earpad attaches to.

[ATTACHMENT=3556]20161030_105815.jpg (1,182k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

[ATTACHMENT=3558]20161030_110038.jpg (1,554k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT] 

On another note, these headphones have a very fast treble (and full range) response along with being quite sensitive volume wise. Certain songs sound completly different, as in like a completly different song. This is due to the headphones ability to attempt to play more information rather than blurring over it. The resulting additional additive/destructive interferance on the diaphragm and magnet (fast/slow: small/large and powerful/weak) is then produced. For example is Silent Hill Sounds Box - Silent Hill 1 - 02-All.

As I do not listen to my HE-6 (desktop amp...) or SRS-002 much, these are my go to headphone now. I do like them better than my AKG-701 as these slow down (fog up) after overnight pairing with my desktop amp to portable amp. I also like them better than my HE-300 as they have more lush/vibrant sound (may be cable dependant, litz vs straight).
Grado MS-2 using c-pads have a similar sound if my memory serves me right but mine are broken after repeated repairs (?) and MH-40 are more comfortable, stay on my head. From what I remember, the MH-40 vocal range seems to have a more forward (separated) phase presentation as well as they are more sensitive. Although the attack speed is reduced in the vocal range and overall. Id have to admit that I am a Grado head.

The effect of modding them to open air does have the drawback of making them quite loud to those not wearing the headphones. Have not decided if this is good or not :)

Nov 17, 2016 at 6:00 AM Post #380 of 624
Having owned these for around 1 month I think it's a shame the MH40 doesn't get much attention around head-fi. It's now my headphones for work. Very musical and details, somewhat warm-ish and better for Vocals-centric music, but still good enough for Metal. 

Nov 23, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #381 of 624
Hi guys
I am looking for a set of closed "fashion" cans like the MH40s. 
They go on sale this weekend for $320. Looking for something easy to drive with a fun engaging sound.
My current collection is in my sig.

These worth a buy at this price?
Was looking at the Meze Classic 99, Oppo PM-3, B&W P7 too.

Nov 24, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #382 of 624
  Hi guys
I am looking for a set of closed "fashion" cans like the MH40s. 
They go on sale this weekend for $320. Looking for something easy to drive with a fun engaging sound.
My current collection is in my sig.

These worth a buy at this price?
Was looking at the Meze Classic 99, Oppo PM-3, B&W P7 too.

Definitely worth it. The Meze I'm not sure, the PM3 I don't like one bit and the P7 doesn't sound as good as it looks. The MH40, in my book, is the only pair of headphones that sounds good, looks good and and is comfortable for extended use.

Nov 24, 2016 at 6:23 AM Post #383 of 624
Definitely worth it. The Meze I'm not sure, the PM3 I don't like one bit and the P7 doesn't sound as good as it looks. The MH40, in my book, is the only pair of headphones that sounds good, looks good and and is comfortable for extended use.
same here. I bought them only after try them at work. Mainwhile they was onle a pretty headphones but 2 days of listening and i was shure they tas the one to buy. Lots of resolution, detail, warmish punchy but even sound. Nice sound with my celphone but i listen mostly with my X7 plus AM1 amp or a nexus tablet

Nov 24, 2016 at 7:39 AM Post #384 of 624
thanks guys for the information
Punchy keeps coming up so I might bite the bullet and order them tonight.

Nov 24, 2016 at 7:50 AM Post #385 of 624
A guess the correct word to describe them is DYNAMIC, loooots of dynamics with this. Plus super sturdy, fancy and good looking (also they smell great). I have the Black metal ones and my ears are happy when not listening to my home stereo setup

Dec 27, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #388 of 624
  I have never seen anyone selling one of this, they are too good, too handsome, too dynamic ot the price asked new. I will never sell mine muajajajajajaja

Haha i'm just wondering because I found a pair for a seemingly good price, but I'm not sure how good of a price it is considering I can't find any for sale lol (Like you said haha).

I'm personally rocking back and forth between these and a pair of B&O H6 2nd Gen. 

Dec 27, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #389 of 624
Haha i'm just wondering because I found a pair for a seemingly good price, but I'm not sure how good of a price it is considering I can't find any for sale lol (Like you said haha).

I'm personally rocking back and forth between these and a pair of B&O H6 2nd Gen. 
in my work i could see both, only heard the mh40, quality wise, the mh40 is the winner. On sound i couldnt say, at that time i fell in love with the mh40 and im still are

Feb 10, 2017 at 4:15 AM Post #390 of 624
I'm completely in love with the sound of these cans, but I'm running into some comfort issues that I'm wondering if anyone else has dealt with.

The issue for me is that the metal grill over the driver just behind the ear pads presses into the anti-helix of my ear. (Of course, the super-thin fabric on the inside of the ear pad is in between, but that provides no padding). With other over-ear headphones that I've owned, my ear simply presses into some padding on the inside of the ear cup, and I guess sometimes presses the fabric into the cavity surrounding the driver. But with the MH40s, the hard metal is there pressing back, and after just a few minutes it starts to feel numb, and a few minutes later, it really starts to hurt. After a half-hour or so of listening, when I remove the headphones, I can still feel pain and tingling in my ear for 15 or 20 minutes.

I’ve tried bending the headband so that there is virtually no pressure on the ears—it feels like the ear cups are just dangling off the sides of my head from the headband perched on top—but that doesn't do anything.

It’s the damnedest thing. I’ve never had headphones that do this, over-ear or on-ear. Sure, on-ear cans tend to give me moderate discomfort after long sessions, but I’ve never had an over-ear pair that’s less comfortable—and the only explanation I can think of here is that the ear is directly in contact with the metal grill.

It’s bad enough that they’re almost unusable for me—which really bums me out because I love how they sound so much! And I know that lots of people consider these cans very comfortable, indeed. (Apparently they've got better-formed ears than mine.) Anyone else have this problem with them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back