Master & Dynamic MH40 Over Ear Headphone
Feb 10, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #391 of 624
I'm completely in love with the sound of these cans, but I'm running into some comfort issues that I'm wondering if anyone else has dealt with.

The issue for me is that the metal grill over the driver just behind the ear pads presses into the anti-helix of my ear. (Of course, the super-thin fabric on the inside of the ear pad is in between, but that provides no padding). With other over-ear headphones that I've owned, my ear simply presses into some padding on the inside of the ear cup, and I guess sometimes presses the fabric into the cavity surrounding the driver. But with the MH40s, the hard metal is there pressing back, and after just a few minutes it starts to feel numb, and a few minutes later, it really starts to hurt. After a half-hour or so of listening, when I remove the headphones, I can still feel pain and tingling in my ear for 15 or 20 minutes.

I’ve tried bending the headband so that there is virtually no pressure on the ears—it feels like the ear cups are just dangling off the sides of my head from the headband perched on top—but that doesn't do anything.

It’s the damnedest thing. I’ve never had headphones that do this, over-ear or on-ear. Sure, on-ear cans tend to give me moderate discomfort after long sessions, but I’ve never had an over-ear pair that’s less comfortable—and the only explanation I can think of here is that the ear is directly in contact with the metal grill.

It’s bad enough that they’re almost unusable for me—which really bums me out because I love how they sound so much! And I know that lots of people consider these cans very comfortable, indeed. (Apparently they've got better-formed ears than mine.) Anyone else have this problem with them?
never had a problem wearing them. Maybe after 2 hrs they feels like more heavy. You could try contact them and see if they have a larger deeper cups

Feb 10, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #392 of 624
I'm completely in love with the sound of these cans, but I'm running into some comfort issues that I'm wondering if anyone else has dealt with.

The issue for me is that the metal grill over the driver just behind the ear pads presses into the anti-helix of my ear. (Of course, the super-thin fabric on the inside of the ear pad is in between, but that provides no padding). With other over-ear headphones that I've owned, my ear simply presses into some padding on the inside of the ear cup, and I guess sometimes presses the fabric into the cavity surrounding the driver. But with the MH40s, the hard metal is there pressing back, and after just a few minutes it starts to feel numb, and a few minutes later, it really starts to hurt. After a half-hour or so of listening, when I remove the headphones, I can still feel pain and tingling in my ear for 15 or 20 minutes.

I’ve tried bending the headband so that there is virtually no pressure on the ears—it feels like the ear cups are just dangling off the sides of my head from the headband perched on top—but that doesn't do anything.

It’s the damnedest thing. I’ve never had headphones that do this, over-ear or on-ear. Sure, on-ear cans tend to give me moderate discomfort after long sessions, but I’ve never had an over-ear pair that’s less comfortable—and the only explanation I can think of here is that the ear is directly in contact with the metal grill.

It’s bad enough that they’re almost unusable for me—which really bums me out because I love how they sound so much! And I know that lots of people consider these cans very comfortable, indeed. (Apparently they've got better-formed ears than mine.) Anyone else have this problem with them?
I have a different pain problem. Mine is the headphones push on that part of the face to the side of the ear. Just to the side of the cheek bone. Because the headphones want to lay flat it naturally pushes against my cheeks. Definitely hurts but like you said the sound is great.

Mar 8, 2017 at 12:28 AM Post #395 of 624
Hi guys.

Finally, I challenged the balance work of MH40.
Please see the detailed image below URL.

http://xperiarx.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-108.html (sry, Japanese only)

Cheers to the incredible quality of Sound!! :)
:D :D

Mar 8, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #397 of 624
I have not said anything from me
Besides, of course the manufacturer does not say "I can do it"

But in fact it's very easy.
In Japan, L, R 3.5 mm to 2.5 mm balanced cables are on sale!
Then just change the wiring with the speaker drive so that it matches its polarity.

Mar 24, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #398 of 624
I been using a X5iii + A5 setup with my MH40, have to say that they sound quite detailed, great imaging, feels like a semi open headphones cause of the wide sound. Also its punchy dynamic but keeping the clear mids and highs. No eq, no bass boost
=D

Mar 26, 2017 at 1:01 AM Post #399 of 624
Any comparisons to Mad Dogs? Thanks

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]I've compared the MH40 to the Mad Dog and AudioQuest NightHawk, using the Questyle QP1R while listening to the fascinating and stunning new recording of enfant terrible conductor Teodor Currentzis to Mozart's opera "Così fan tutte", whose range of masterpiece music run from orchestral music to some of Mozart's most beautiful arias for solo voice and vocal ensemble.[/color]

The three headphones has quite the different sound signature with the NightHawks felt to me as warm & lush, the MH40 as wide and meaty, and the Mad Dog as relatively neutral.

Of the three, the Mad Dogs were the hardest to drive and the MH40 the easiest.

The MH40 shined with a big soundstage, wide mid-range and lovely sub-bass that was very appropriate to the music.  The treble extension wasn't wide as I hoped, but still 
The NightHawk's warmth was in a bit of a loss in this music and compare with the MH40 and Mad Dogs.
The Mad Dogs' separation was better than the other two and excelled n the ensemble music, but as a whole I'd say that the bigger soundstage and wider sound range of the MH40 were the best on this comparison.

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]
 ​
[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]
[/color]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)] [/color]

Mar 26, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #400 of 624
[COLOR=222222]I've compared the MH40 to the Mad Dog and AudioQuest NightHawk, using the Questyle QP1R while listening to the fascinating and stunning new recording of enfant terrible conductor Teodor Currentzis to Mozart's opera "Così fan tutte", whose range of masterpiece music run from orchestral music to some of Mozart's most beautiful arias for solo voice and vocal ensemble.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=222222] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]The three headphones has quite the different sound signature with the NightHawks felt to me as warm & lush, the MH40 as wide and meaty, and the Mad Dog as relatively neutral.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]Of the three, the Mad Dogs were the hardest to drive and the MH40 the easiest.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]The MH40 shined with a big soundstage, wide mid-range and lovely sub-bass that was very appropriate to the music.  The treble extension wasn't wide as I hoped, but still [/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]The NightHawk's warmth was in a bit of a loss in this music and compare with the MH40 and Mad Dogs.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]The Mad Dogs' separation was better than the other two and excelled n the ensemble music, but as a whole I'd say that the bigger soundstage and wider sound range of the MH40 were the best on this comparison.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222] [/COLOR]
 ​

lovely comparison

Jun 8, 2017 at 12:50 AM Post #404 of 624
I couldn't resist being a huge Leica fan ... the MH40B-95:

MH40_black_gallery_1_1024x1024_8e5b9dc5-f0b7-4a57-8165-550bd2cb2f0a_1024x1024.jpg
MH40_black_gallery_4_1024x1024_738af49a-5059-4319-b558-e23a67062a1b_1024x1024.jpg

I should have them on Friday and after some playing time, I'll do a review.

Jun 8, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #405 of 624
I couldn't resist being a huge Leica fan ... the MH40B-95:

I should have them on Friday and after some playing time, I'll do a review.
Looking forward to reading your review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back