Master & Dynamic MH40 Over Ear Headphone
Apr 7, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #361 of 624
These headphones are very source dependant. They actually sound better straight out of my Sony Z3 / Fiio X1 than through my Fiio E18 or Cayin C5. The E18 sounds particularly muddy and confused. No idea why.

Not that it really matter though, they're so easy to drive you don't need an amp in the slightest.

Apr 7, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #362 of 624
These headphones are very source dependant. They actually sound better straight out of my Sony Z3 / Fiio X1 than through my Fiio E18 or Cayin C5. The E18 sounds particularly muddy and confused. No idea why.

Not that it really matter though, they're so easy to drive you don't need an amp in the slightest.

Agreed that they are source dependent and a decent amp very much enhances the sound. That said, I use mine all the time plugged into my iPhone 6 while walking the dog.

Not as good as plugged in at home but still excellent

May 9, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #364 of 624
  MH40 on sale for $100 less from MD

Best price yet?

It's not $100 less. It's only $50 less and that's only IF they get to the minimum number of buyers. Right now it's still at $370, which is only $30 less.

Even if it hits the $350 Massdrop mark, I still don't think that's a good enough deal compared to Amazon. It's Prime eligible on Amazon so shipping is immediate (and returns are hassle-free if it doesn't work out for you). In fact, I think it's one of the worst deals I've seen on Massdrop -- they just didn't chop enough off the price to make it worthwhile to put up w/ their shipping delays and no-return policy. If it was $299, or ideally $249, then I'd be much more interested.

May 9, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #365 of 624
It's not $100 less. It's only $50 less and that's only IF they get to the minimum number of buyers. Right now it's still at $370, which is only $30 less.

Even if it hits the $350 Massdrop mark, I still don't think that's a good enough deal compared to Amazon. It's Prime eligible on Amazon so shipping is immediate (and returns are hassle-free if it doesn't work out for you). In fact, I think it's one of the worst deals I've seen on Massdrop -- they just didn't chop enough off the price to make it worthwhile to put up w/ their shipping delays and no-return policy. If it was $299, or ideally $249, then I'd be much more interested.

Sry, i meant MD = Master Dynamic

There is a coupon for $100 off. Its on deals thread

May 9, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #366 of 624
Sry, i meant MD = Master Dynamic

There is a coupon for $100 off. Its on deals thread

Ha, that's funny. My bad.

Total coincidence that both have "MD" as their initials, and both have a deal going on at the exact same time. In that case, I'd say that actually makes the Massdrop even worse by comparison (especially if Master and Dynamic have a good return policy).

May 9, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #367 of 624

Yes. I agree. I should have explained the bottom end better, sorry.

I currently favour the Shure SRH940 for studio work - well defined clear-as-day mids and a BIT like the MH40, subs are there but musical unlike the MH40, I can hear what the low notes actually are (a low B or a low C?) and make reliable decisions for later work with proper monitors. Obviously we don't all need to do that. The Shure SRH940 is, however, built like a child's toy - ridiculously awful - not even metal inside the headband, where they all break. Plastic inner headband! Seriously! The WORST built headphones I have ever touched - but hey American right? It's like they're made of that horrific hard plastic that only USA uses - it's used on cheap usa car dashboards (Ford P100). Also used by China for child-breakable knock-off action figures with no detail, and used in Europe, in a super-thin way, to hold cheap chocolates in place in a cheap box of chocolates. The WORST materials. Someone in USA, in Shure, is telling China to use this awful plastic for these headphones which break because of it and Shure carry on not giving a fk.

Obviously the MH40 is a listening headphone, not a hifi one (yet), not a surgical recording one, but once you know notes down there it's hard to accept a headphone that just has sub blobs down there, for any listening purpose - much like a cheap sub for 5:1 speakers - just rumbles - doesn't convey any notes or articulation. There is a reward in accurate low notes. You don't need to be a ponced-up music producer or musician to appreciate it - music's made for entertainment. For the last 50 years, music has been 'produced' for the listener to enjoy as best they can - to re-live the live event or the careful studio work. You just need to hear low defined notes and then the world presents you with more demands on your wallet/purse :wink:

I did this track recently with my very special (Dingwall) bass tuned down to A below A, I think. It's very low. Other basses can't do it. Some headphones I have here just rumble and don't define the notes:
Denon M400 (good try, not great)
Sony h.ear (just rumble, bit nice rumble)
Blue Mofi [not retail one] (just plain wonderful ear nectar)
PSB M4U2 (acceptable with amp on, oddly)
Yamaha MT220 (pretty good)
Shure SRH 940 (pretty good)
Beyer t51p (pretty good)

They all sort of manage it which is why I still have all those headphones that do well in the rest of the spectrum. The Denon is pretty useless in the mids, but like velvet otherwise.

Track here:
http://www.slunq.com/temps/Eradicate.wav.zip

You WILL hear bass notes even on internal computer speakers - harmonics. Just saying.

Couldn't care less if you like the track or not - I am a grown-up.

(Copyrighted by the way - just in case there's a dick out there. It takes much time and thought to make all creative things - even things some people don't like.)

Don't get me wrong, I adore The MH40 as a delightful beautiful object to own and admire and touch, and they sound fairly good (ish) compared to others at the price point (you will find nothing so exquisitely made) but around 2khz they are SO annoying and that is not good for listening in any way nor your ears' health, whatever environment you are in. It is the wrong frequency to push. There's already a lot of annoying stuff around 2khz wherever you are. In studio work you never boost, always cut. They should have cut 2khz and boosted the rest to rise above the city sounds, not boost 2khz to compete with them. It's what other people do, with good reason. Whoever their sound designer/engineer is, I wouldn't use them again. Rookie error.

I returned mine suspecting (knowing) they could damage my hearing. The company people themselves could not have been more polite and helpful.

As I've said before, I REALLY look forward to the next iteration of a NEARLY good headphone.

And yes, get now at massdrop if you want to ruin your ears.

May 10, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #368 of 624
Really hoping for a new release of Master & Dynamic. I find them so beautiful and was initially planning to buy them (totally suckered in by the beauty of it), but found them a little too dissapointing sound wise. Can't dish out 400 bucks all the time, so gotta make it count.

Nevertheless, considering these were their first releases, it's pretty damn impressive. High expectations for the second line.

May 11, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #369 of 624
Really hoping for a new release of Master & Dynamic. I find them so beautiful and was initially planning to buy them (totally suckered in by the beauty of it), but found them a little too dissapointing sound wise. Can't dish out 400 bucks all the time, so gotta make it count.

Nevertheless, considering these were their first releases, it's pretty damn impressive. High expectations for the second line.

I believe with a slightly more subtle tuning and a more balanced sound, it could be an even greater hit.

May 11, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #370 of 624
Please send me a PM if anyone is looking for a new (open box) set of MH30's. They are the gunmetal/black color. I already have the MH40's, so no need for these. Letting them go for $200 shipped. 

Jun 11, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #371 of 624
Anyone here tried the new Alcantra pads? They seem to be velour of some sort.

http://www.masterdynamic.com/products/mh40-ear-pads

Thinking of either getting those or the grey pads to sexy up my plain black Mh40 a bit.

Jun 27, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #372 of 624
Anyone here tried the new Alcantra pads? They seem to be velour of some sort.

http://www.masterdynamic.com/products/mh40-ear-pads

Thinking of either getting those or the grey pads to sexy up my plain black Mh40 a bit.

I'd like to give them a try. Does anyone think they would seal right with this pseudo suede material as opposed to leather?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back