Master & Dynamic MH40 Over Ear Headphone
Feb 24, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #346 of 624
Excellent tips, much appreciated. Makes me doubt everything again just as I thought I had my mind made up
wink.gif

Can anyone owning the Mh40 confirm they sound good out of a phone? I don't have a dap and don't like stacking. Using a Sony xperia Z5 compact. It's also one of the reasons I'm scared the pm3's would suit me less.

It depends on the phone. For my personal preference I didn't like it that much out of the iphone 5. But I'm really enjoying the MH40 out of the Sony Xperia Z3. It's not quite the quality of sound that I get when I pair the MH40 with the AK Junior but it's good enough for out and about. By the way I'm running the MH40 through the Power Amp app, it allows you to increase the gains without too much distortions. For a more neutral, analytical sound, I'm running it through the Neutron Music Player app, which I really enjoy. So in short the MH40 is sensitive enough to run out of a phone. BTW, the PM3 might have some technical advantages, but the MH40 is more enjoyable to me personally, imho. Hope that will help.

Feb 26, 2016 at 2:17 AM Post #347 of 624
are these good for strictly home use?
Good for mainly rock/metal?
Good contrast to my T1s?

Feb 26, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #348 of 624
are these good for strictly home use?

Good for mainly rock/metal?

Good contrast to my T1s?

1) No, they make excellent headphones for the office too. They don't leak much and they're extremely comfortable for long stretches of time, including while wearing glasses. They're not very suitable for walking around outdoors in though as they're a bit slippy.

2) Theyre good for anything, but especially rock and metal. I listen to classical on mine too and they're still great.

3) Can't help with this one. Sorry.

Feb 26, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #349 of 624
1) No, they make excellent headphones for the office too. They don't leak much and they're extremely comfortable for long stretches of time, including while wearing glasses. They're not very suitable for walking around outdoors in though as they're a bit slippy.

2) Theyre good for anything, but especially rock and metal. I listen to classical on mine too and they're still great.

3) Can't help with this one. Sorry.

Thx for responding.

I guess I should clarify my questions a bit...

My 1st question RE: home use,are these priced @400.00 because theyre mobile,or are they priced accordingly because they truly sound like 400 dollar headphone? Am I getting 250.00sq and paying 150.00 for mobility,or am I getting 400.00 sq?

Re:Contrast to T1s....What is the sound signature similar to? Having tried 770s and 990s as "rockin" alternatives to T1s, I found the Beyer SS too predominate between the 3 and couldnt justify keeping either as they sounded too similar to my T1s.

Are these dark like Senn 600s? Warm like HiFi man or more of a 650 sound...or none of the above? 

Feb 26, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #350 of 624

Thx for responding.

My 1st question RE: home use,are these priced @400.00 because theyre mobile,or are they priced accordingly because they truly sound like 400 dollar headphone? Am I getting 250.00sq and paying 150.00 for mobility,or am I getting 400.00 sq?

Re:Contrast to T1s....What is the sound signature similar to? Having tried 770s and 990s as "rockin" alternatives to T1s, I found the Beyer SS too predominate between the 3 and couldnt justify keeping either as they sounded too similar to my T1s.

Are these dark like Senn 600s? Warm like HiFi man or more of a 650 sound...or none of the above? 

I think only you can truly say it is 400$ of sound quality.

I've always found a nice balance between SQ and build.

Other headphones at this price point.
B&W p7
Meze 99
OPPO PM-3 (which is highly regarded on the forums)

I didn't list any open backs since this are closed. I recently did a lot of research about this headset. I ended up with the Audeze EL-8's instead. I would say these are not an apple to oranges comparison.

Feb 26, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #351 of 624
  I think only you can truly say it is 400$ of sound quality.

I've always found a nice balance between SQ and build.

Other headphones at this price point.
B&W p7
Meze 99
OPPO PM-3 (which is highly regarded on the forums)

I didn't list any open backs since this are closed. I recently did a lot of research about this headset. I ended up with the Audeze EL-8's instead. I would say these are not an apple to oranges comparison.

not familiar to EL-8s,but am familiar with  LCD2....similar to these?

Feb 26, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #353 of 624
Thx for responding.

To me personally they sound like $400 sound quality. They also scale up in a way that my V-Moda XS or KEF M500 never did. With those the quality would plateau and go no further no matter how good a source you plugged them into. But the MH40 have yet to find such a limit so far for me. From a Fiio X5ii to a $1000 cambridge audio amplifier they sound as amazing as the source.

The sound signature is warm and smooth. There is a small treble roll off (lessening) that doesn't take away any of the crispness so much as just make things less grating at the higher volumes. There is also a small elevation of the bass. It's not boomy though, just nice and enveloping. If I were to use a single word to sum it all up I'd go with luxurious.

Feb 29, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #354 of 624
^ You make me want to go back to my audio dealer and listen to these again. When I did hear them with a Sony A17 with a FiiO E12 amp they sounded kinda of dull and I was rather disappointed as I had been reading about them so much. I will be going back there soon I think so I'll give these another try.

Mar 1, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #355 of 624
^ You make me want to go back to my audio dealer and listen to these again. When I did hear them with a Sony A17 with a FiiO E12 amp they sounded kinda of dull and I was rather disappointed as I had been reading about them so much. I will be going back there soon I think so I'll give these another try.

That's odd because dull is the precise opposite of my experience. They have lots of attack and are real toe tappers. Perhaps try them with and without the amp or with your phone. Try as many sources as you can think of because the source really seems to matter with these.

Mar 2, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #356 of 624
....many sources as you can think of because the source really seems to matter with these.

That would be a design flaw, source dependent, within reason is a problem. They should sound pretty similar on most sources. My phone and amp were a combination of have used for several headphones and they never presented an issue as a source. I will go back and listen again as I was rather surprised at the results so maybe it was just me that day?

Mar 2, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #357 of 624
That would be a design flaw, source dependent, within reason is a problem. They should sound pretty similar on most sources. My phone and amp were a combination of have used for several headphones and they never presented an issue as a source. I will go back and listen again as I was rather surprised at the results so maybe it was just me that day?

Perhaps. Or maybe it was the bias of expectations. That tends to happen to me when I research something to death before trying it for real lol.

Mar 2, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #358 of 624
Perhaps. Or maybe it was the bias of expectations. That tends to happen to me when I research something to death before trying it for real lol.

I guess that can explain things; however I did go into the test expecting the MH40 to sound more dynamic than the 1A so when it came across flatter I was certainly surprised. And yes, as a psychology major I understand that the direction of expectation is not a guarantee of how the bias will ultimately influence perception.

Mar 8, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #359 of 624
To me personally they sound like $400 sound quality. They also scale up in a way that my V-Moda XS or KEF M500 never did. With those the quality would plateau and go no further no matter how good a source you plugged them into. But the MH40 have yet to find such a limit so far for me. From a Fiio X5ii to a $1000 cambridge audio amplifier they sound as amazing as the source.

The sound signature is warm and smooth. There is a small treble roll off (lessening) that doesn't take away any of the crispness so much as just make things less grating at the higher volumes. There is also a small elevation of the bass. It's not boomy though, just nice and enveloping. If I were to use a single word to sum it all up I'd go with luxurious.

Yes, it is oh so smooth.  It's like a familiar blanket if you will.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back