Master & Dynamic MH40 Over Ear Headphone
Dec 18, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #316 of 624
  I get the Shouty comment, but not the lacking bottom end. Plenty of mid bass for sure. Less so on the sub bass. These are definitely voiced to sound "exciting" and "fun" rather than audiophile linear. I'm sure that's why they are so impressive during a brief audition. Lots of punch.  For the long haul, your mileage may vary. That sig is also best suited to being used out and about rather than in the quiet home environment.

Agree... Not lacking on the bottom end at all!!!
But do note that these headphones are sometimes a pain to position properly! Seal is broken up pretty fast and if you use glasses or have lots of hair, bass response will be diminished (same thing with the PM3s...) Maybe it's the small-ish ear pads. Heck, even Tyll mentioned something like this now that I remember! Lemme look...

"Raw frequency response plots show a headphone with significant changes in response due to positional changes on the ear. These cans were quite challenging to move on the ears and get good measurements; I spent quite a bit of time in each position to ensure a good seal. Because it was so cumbersome, I did allow one set of measurements with poor bass response into the set as it probably is indicative of how they will get heard on the head at times. You can see that changes in seal effects response all the way up to around 2kHz—this is fairly unusual."

-- from Innerfidelity's review

So, yeah, it might have been that... I found them punchy enough and exciting.

Dec 18, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #317 of 624
I returned mine (MH40, tan). They were exquisitely made but sounded very SHOUTY and bottom end was lacking. Kind of irritating to listen to. Stop shouting music at me!

I had some conversations with them and I hope they'll be addressing the brashness in future headphones.

I found them shouty at first too. But that's actually something that goes away with burn in. There hasn't been a hint of it since.

Dec 31, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #318 of 624
Picked up a pair of MD40s yesterday. I spent the morning wondering around various audio stores listening to headphones and found these on my way to dinner. My comments below:

Not getting noise from the cable. M&D must have changed it. I have absolutely no problems getting a good seal around my ears and glasses. The ear cavity isn't much bigger than my ears but the fit is solid and the pads are thick enough to avoid touching. Clamping pressure is a little higher than I prefer but it remains comfortable.

Very easy to drive with an iPhone 6. It really doesn't need a headphone amp though bass does seem to tighten up a little. Not enough of a difference to make me want to bother with one when I'm not at home.

They have a sound that you can listen to for hours without tiring. Not as accurate or detailed as my Audio Technica MSR7s, but much less fatiguing. Fairly neutral except for a dip around 200 to 600 Hz and another at 3-6 kHz which takes out any silibance and makes them sound warm. Pretty much everything I've played through them sounds good. They're a really great choice if you want to tune out the world and relax.

Build quality is a home run. Everything about these phones say long life and durable. They're likely to get better looking with age as they pick up a little wear and tear.

Jan 2, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #319 of 624

i saw that the connector on the right or left cup is a 4 poles, is it possible to:

1. make a standard balanced cable, R+ R- on the right cup, L+ L- on the left cup? (with a Y splitter)
2. make a solo balanced cable: R+ R- L+ L- on the right or left cup?

Thanks in advance!

Did this question ever get answered? I'm looking for reasonably priced headphones that I can use with a Pono Player in balanced mode.

I'm considering the MH40 but only if they would support Pono balanced mode.

Feb 15, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #320 of 624
Not sure if this has been answered but is there any benefit to getting the MW60's over the MH40's as far as sound performance?

I know you can plug the MW60's into the source anyway.

Thanks.

Feb 15, 2016 at 10:17 PM Post #326 of 624
Thanks.

From what I can tell overall the MH40's are a better package. MW60's are for wireless but other then that no real gain in performance?

Exactly. Too pricy too.

Hold a second there....I've got both and I do beg to disagree. It's hard to really say such things based on a gadgetmac review. I've got both and covered them below.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/796339/pmreviews-master-and-dynamics-mw60

Feb 16, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #329 of 624
  The MW60, when amped, has a more refined sound...bass section is impactful and tight.  Highs are good and sparkly, and mids more forward than MH40.  If you really need more bass quantity though, M40 wins for sure.

hm.... interesting. So on say an iphone 6 as source no travel amp or a macbook retina 2015 no amp the MH40 would be better. However on a Schiit Stack the MW60 would sound better?

Feb 16, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #330 of 624
  hm.... interesting. So on say an iphone 6 as source no travel amp or a macbook retina 2015 no amp the MH40 would be better. However on a Schiit Stack the MW60 would sound better?

Yes.  Very subjectively speaking, the iPhone 6 has a thinner sound than most DAPs, meaning that it'll also cut away slightly at the MH40's bass.  Which for all intents and purposes is a good thing.  Schiit stacking the MW60 would do good things, but amping it with a home setup does defeat the purpose of having the BT functionality, which also put me in a slight conundrum.  Overall, the MW60  unamped is a thinner version of the MH40.  Yes, it's still warm.  But in the mids and the highs you will see a positive performance boost. That said, the euphonic sound is lost to a certain extent.  So that's ultimately the trade-off you'll have to deal with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back