Master Clock Talk
Jul 1, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #2,401 of 3,361
? I’m talking about the use of a master clock and this thread is called “Master Clock Talk”, so how’s it “out of topic”?

G
You are in an argument with another member, and this argument is beyond the scope of this thread. We are here to share our experience with master clocks in our home audio setups, and answer newbies' questions. Not to contemplate the extent of members' egos. We have not expressed the wish of being lectured day in day out. This is very annoying and disrespectful.

Jul 1, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #2,402 of 3,361
I’ve actually used Merging converters and I have checked properly, why haven’t you taken your own advice?!

Actually it was you who brought up Merging. Nevertheless, what external clock? Clearly you have not even looked at the Manual for the Merging converters. Starting at page 84 are several pages of recommended setup examples, from multi-room edit suites to live performance and even the exact scenario already you already mentioned, a multi-mic orchestral recording. NONE of these recommended setups include an external clock with the exception of the audio to video setups, where the clock reference is “video ref”! In the setups with multiple converters in a Ravenna network, such as the orchestral recording example, then obviously there can only be one master (PTP) clock and the other converters will be slaves. However, this master clock should not be an external clock but the internal clock of one of the converters. On page 62 the manual states: “When two or more Hapi (or Horus) are connected together by Ethernet, one of them will always be selected as master, the other Hapi’ will be forced into slave state and therefore would not be synchronised to wordclock or audio input”. in fact, that’s one of the main points of Ravenna in the first place!

Merging’s Ravenna User Guide states: “one goal for RAVENNA is to provide superior performance by offering phase-accurate synchronisation as an option thus rendering separate reference word clock distribution throughout a facility or venue redundant”!

Switches used in a Ravenna network are standard Ethernet switches and therefore can ONLY work “at the frequencies of the switches that you use at home or at your office”!!

Merging does not have a list of all the switches that work with Ravenna. They have a list of switches which will not work and a list of recommended switches, ALL of which are standard business/home gigabit Ethernet switches which operate at gigabit Ethernet frequencies/rates (otherwise they would obviously not be gigabit Ethernet switches) and NONE of which can be configured for audio frequencies/rates!!

Oh the irony!! Don’t you even know what a gigabit Ethernet switch is?

G
You can use this gear with the clock of Merging, and you can use it without a clock.
There are demanding audiophiles who use a GPS as a poor man's substitution to the clock of Merging, because you can configure the GPS to emit a reference signal at the frequency that you wish.

My time is precious, and you are going to be the first to ever join my ignore list, since I started to post on this forum.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #2,403 of 3,361
You can use this gear with the clock of Merging, and you can use it without a clock.
No, you can’t, there must be a clock or neither Dante nor Ravenna will work and Merging recommends the internal clock.
My time is precious …
But not too precious to post false assertions about AoIP formats and how to clock them?
We are here to share our experience with master clocks in our home audio setups …
And does no one ever use AoIP in their home setups?

G

Jul 1, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #2,404 of 3,361
I changed the Canare cable out.

In the start I could sort of feel Canare was very hard on the sound, but went away and felt better(after 1 month), warm sounding, music feels emphasized. Very very good cable for the square output(OCK-2/75ohm)

The Supra Trico is around same price(50-60dollars) - The difference was immidiate, but I was worried it sounded veiled the first few hours. I let it burn..its melting together with the other cables. Not as warm and emphasized but more balanced sound, more space between elements/instruments.

Attachments

• A0C6171D-A585-4CE2-895C-5A7C0E7776F1.jpeg
    A0C6171D-A585-4CE2-895C-5A7C0E7776F1.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 82D76984-E69B-4D5B-966A-E8A7404D3D1B.jpeg
    82D76984-E69B-4D5B-966A-E8A7404D3D1B.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 72B3DD3B-3953-4021-9064-2878AE454B16.png
    72B3DD3B-3953-4021-9064-2878AE454B16.png
    799.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 2, 2023 at 9:13 AM Post #2,405 of 3,361
I've been switching between my two favourite clock cables, the Harmonic Technology DC III and Neotech NEVD-2001. It's always tempting to go with the Neotech as it has extended highs and 'sounds' more detailed. However, I think it just lends a frequency tilt that my system doesn't need. The HT is more homogeneous, more energised in the midrange and definitely more potent in the bass. So I'm sticking with two 0.5m HTs for both clocks in the system (EtherREGEN and U18).

Jul 3, 2023 at 9:04 PM Post #2,407 of 3,361
I've been switching between my two favourite clock cables, the Harmonic Technology DC III and Neotech NEVD-2001. It's always tempting to go with the Neotech as it has extended highs and 'sounds' more detailed. However, I think it just lends a frequency tilt that my system doesn't need. The HT is more homogeneous, more energised in the midrange and definitely more potent in the bass. So I'm sticking with two 0.5m HTs for both clocks in the system (EtherREGEN and U18).
I have tried using 2 HT cables in my system as well, one for U18 and one for X26 Pro. It sounds very organic, but a bit too much to an extend that it seems a bit slow in some songs. I changed cable to U18 to Cybershaft, and the overall balance is much better.

If there is only one clock cable in whole system, I definitely recommend HT. If there are two, I recommend mixing HT cable with other even more analytical cables and try, one may be surprised .....

Jul 3, 2023 at 9:57 PM Post #2,408 of 3,361
I have tried using 2 HT cables in my system as well, one for U18 and one for X26 Pro. It sounds very organic, but a bit too much to an extend that it seems a bit slow in some songs. I changed cable to U18 to Cybershaft, and the overall balance is much better.

If there is only one clock cable in whole system, I definitely recommend HT. If there are two, I recommend mixing HT cable with other even more analytical cables and try, one may be surprised .....
I tend to agree. I found that a LMR400 on the di20he was better than the Gustard c2 ( which is rarher smooth ) while i used the HT on the dac. Now i am with the HT on the di20he and use the Concentus on the dac. Excellent combo.

Jul 5, 2023 at 6:58 AM Post #2,409 of 3,361
Does anyone have a link on Ali for BNC caps?

Jul 5, 2023 at 7:54 AM Post #2,410 of 3,361

Attachments

• 23FD3ECC-5259-4130-AE06-1D10B6CA894E.jpeg
    23FD3ECC-5259-4130-AE06-1D10B6CA894E.jpeg
    382.2 KB · Views: 0
Jul 5, 2023 at 8:33 AM Post #2,412 of 3,361
Thanks, @OCC7N and @FredA .
I remember that there was a debate either a needle is good for a BNC cap or it's better without it.
Do you remember what was the conclusion?

Jul 5, 2023 at 8:41 AM Post #2,413 of 3,361
I remember that there was a debate either a needle is good for a BNC cap or it's better without it.
After I earthed/ground one output I forgot about them, I bought these caps but never used them.

@dougms3 whats your opinion on this?

Jul 5, 2023 at 8:52 AM Post #2,414 of 3,361
After I earthed/ground one output I forgot about them, I bought these caps but never used them.

@dougms3 whats your opinion on this?
I use the load resistors, not the ground caps but I think they offer an improvement. Not a whole lot but enough worth getting.

I wasn't sure if they were doing anything, so I took them off and listened for a while without, then put on again, then without again. Seems like a minor improvement with.

Forgot link.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/325...o.order_list.order_list_main.5.21ef1802G6hvId

Jul 5, 2023 at 9:32 AM Post #2,415 of 3,361
Always the same: try it.

I use a fake load on my clock (Afterdark) . Does not seem detrimental. And a simple cap on the unused input of the dac (he7 mkii). No fake load on the unused out of the di20he is my preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back