Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread
Dec 5, 2020 at 8:28 PM Post #2,282 of 2,613
At that price it is very hard to beat. Enjoy!

Dec 9, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #2,283 of 2,613
Just received one myself. There's nothing I can say that hasn't already been said about this amp. However, I'm surprised how good my HD800s sound with the 789. The HD800s sound to me like the perfect blend between the HD600s & the HD650s. They actually have a warmth to them to the likes of never before. I suppose that is a sound characteristic coming from my DAC (RME ADI 2 DAC). Great combo.

Dec 9, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #2,284 of 2,613
Had mine for 7 or so months now and am still very satisfied. I've used it with various headphones but currently pair it with my Elegia and HE-500 and it makes them sing; the HE-500s run balanced and that's my favorite pairing of all that I've owned. I prefer them both on the highest gain even though the volume rarely goes above 10 or 11:00... might be in my head but I feel like it's more full that way.

Dec 11, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #2,285 of 2,613
I have a question about using an alternative power supply with this amplifier, replacing the brick with a higher-quality power supply. Anyone done this? Better? Worse? Same?

I recognize the importance of power supply design. I've had the experience of swapping a wallwart for a higher performance power supply making a huge difference, and also not making a difference at all.

Dec 11, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #2,286 of 2,613
I have a question about using an alternative power supply with this amplifier, replacing the brick with a higher-quality power supply. Anyone done this? Better? Worse? Same?

I recognize the importance of power supply design. I've had the experience of swapping a wallwart for a higher performance power supply making a huge difference, and also not making a difference at all.

I did a little googling on this when I first got it, thinking the same thing. A couple people apparently tried it and no sound came out, despite the aftermarket PSU being spec'd correctly. And it seems the designer of the amp (or at least the designated representative for it on Drop) says the included PSU is totally sufficient and that an aftermarket is not advised. I left it at that.

I am curious though also if anyone has experience with different PSUs and if one has been found that works and improves sonics.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #2,287 of 2,613
I gather there are a few of us who picked this up out of curiosity when it was on sale Black Friday.

My first impression relates to just how much power this thing has and how easy it is to clip or sound unnatural. I had initially set it up all balanced into HD800S and the dynamics were just too much. Using LCD-X balanced is out of the question as the volume of course can't go past 7 AM on low gain and it sounds completely unnatural.

Single ended input and output is much better and delivers a very thick and resolved sound on the LCD-X. I guess I will explore this for a while before trying the HD800S again, I have my doubts that this amp will work out for me with the Sennheisers.

I hate messing with my setup. I have happily been using the TA-ZH1ES for a couple of years now but curiosity got the best of me.

Any recommendations for DACs or headphones with this thing? And does anyone else feel it's just too powerful for it's own good?

Dec 15, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #2,288 of 2,613
I'm sitting here right now with my LCD XCs, at 12 o'clock, gain setting 2 in the balanced configuration. My source is a Marantz Professional PMD-526C CD Player with balanced XLR Interconnects to the THX 789. And I love it.

Dec 15, 2020 at 6:47 PM Post #2,289 of 2,613
I'm using Focal Clears with gain setting on 2 or Senn 600's with gain at 3, in both cases single-ended; the volume control is at somewhere between 10 and 12 depending on the music. Source is either USB from my PC or coax from Oppo 103 to a Topping D50s DAC, which is connected single-ended to the amp. No problem with getting the music as loud as I want.

Dec 15, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #2,290 of 2,613
It definitely has power. I'm using Abyss 1266 Phi so this amp works well for me. Balanced in/balanced out. I can use all gain settings. On high, the loudest I can turn the dial is around 10 o'clock. On low I can go up to around 1 o'clock. I love how the gain settings actually mean something on this thing. Some others amps I've had didn't change volume much regardless of gain setting.

Dec 15, 2020 at 8:19 PM Post #2,292 of 2,613
Any recommendations for DACs or headphones with this thing? And does anyone else feel it's just too powerful for it's own good?

I'm running the Denfrips Ares II into my 789 and it is an excellent pairing. That chain would pair very well with any planar of your choice (within reason in terms of power).

Dec 16, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #2,293 of 2,613
Well wow today I have it fed from a Mytek Brooklyn via XLR and running the LCD-X single ended it is too loud past 8 o'clock for me.

If I switch between the SE and XLR input on the fly it certainly seems the XLR is compressed or clipped. Running it all SE seems to work for me and sounds more natural.

I don't feel the amp sounds sterile or harsh as has been often stated, but there is certainly a fine line here with synergy.

Dec 19, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #2,295 of 2,613
are there a brand of interconnects that can help in adding a bit warmth to thx789 using chord mojo as dac

Users who are viewing this thread

Back