Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread
Nov 5, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #2,251 of 2,613
If the Marantz has headphone + preamp / DAC out, the 789 will sound like the headphone out
Yes, it has headphone out plus line level analog out, which is connected to the 789 inputs. So if I don't detect any difference between the headphone output on the Marantz and that on the 789 (i.e., same DAC, different headphone amp), then the amps are equivalent?

Nov 6, 2020 at 2:56 AM Post #2,252 of 2,613
The 789 is a little faster sounding to my ears, at least compared to my tube amp. The bass is tight and the rest of the music doesn't lag behind. The tube amp is looser and more relaxed. Also the size of the soundstage and imaging might be different if you really try and listen.

Nov 6, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #2,253 of 2,613
With a little more listening time, I have noticed a bit more detail in some complicated full-orchestra passages using the 789, in comparison to my Marantz HD-DAC1 (the Marantz serves as the DAC in both cases). For example, the 24/96 download of John Williams in Vienna sounds a little muddy in certain passages, but it's much clearer with the 789 as to what various instruments are actually playing.

Nov 6, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #2,255 of 2,613
I just got the 789 to use with my 650's. It sounds fantastic but to get it loud enough I have to set it on gain 3 and have the volume all the way up.

Am I doing something wrong or does this amp not get loud enough?
Might be your source...using the 789 with a Topping E30 plugged into my MacBook, I use my HD6XX at gain 2 and between 12 - 3 o clock.

Maybe I don’t listen loud enough!

Nov 6, 2020 at 9:47 PM Post #2,256 of 2,613
I just got the 789 to use with my 650's. It sounds fantastic but to get it loud enough I have to set it on gain 3 and have the volume all the way up.

Try and find some balanced cables for the 650 - that will get you a lot more power. I can get to gain 3 with the 650 on single ended for normal, quiet background listening, but my DAC is at -20dB.

Nov 7, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #2,257 of 2,613
This amp is really sterile i wonder why. I guess negative feedback is really harmful. Are there any good measuring amps with minimal negative feedback ? I know the Asgard 3 at high gain has low negative feedback but it's too loud for modern sensitive headphones.
Spot on about this amp being sterile. For similar price point or cheaper, I'd recommend going with Schiit amps as alternative. Or just go with LP for better engaging sound. I really don't get the hype behind these amps.

For those have ample experience in hearing and looking at measurents would know that measurements values beyond certain digits isn't an indicator of amps performing well audibly. There is no direct correlation. It's just marketting.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #2,258 of 2,613
After listening to my 789 for a few days (source: Marantz HD-DAC1; Focal Clear headphones), I haven't found it sterile at all. It reproduces complex orchestral details in a way that isn't lean at all, and I find listening much less fatiguing than the headphone output of the Marantz.

Nov 7, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #2,259 of 2,613
After listening to my 789 for a few days (source: Marantz HD-DAC1; Focal Clear headphones), I haven't found it sterile at all. It reproduces complex orchestral details in a way that isn't lean at all, and I find listening much less fatiguing than the headphone output of the Marantz.
Agreed, still really enjoy mine. It sounds like nothing, which is exactly what I want an amp to sound like. Wire with gain.

Nov 8, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #2,262 of 2,613
The SE pass is a line-level output, so you can connect it to a receiver. Works fine--I set up my amp that way. HOWEVER, according to the two-page manual, the SE pass doesn't work if your source is a balanced connection from a DAC--it only works with a DAC if it's a single-ended connection.

Nov 8, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #2,263 of 2,613

Make sure your player and PC volume are at 90% and use the amp volume knob to set the listening level.

You should have plenty of volume on again 2. Something is not right with your setup. What DAC are you using?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back