Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread
Nov 11, 2020 at 11:05 PM Post #2,267 of 2,613
Made a similar post on the A90 thread:

For those of you who have tried both, how noticeable is the difference between this amp and the Topping A90? Thinking of picking up the A90 because I saw some reviews describing it as being a little warmer, but not sure if it's worth the trouble if I already have a 789.

Nov 12, 2020 at 7:27 AM Post #2,268 of 2,613
Made a similar post on the A90 thread:

For those of you who have tried both, how noticeable is the difference between this amp and the Topping A90? Thinking of picking up the A90 because I saw some reviews describing it as being a little warmer, but not sure if it's worth the trouble if I already have a 789.
I would think of it more as a side grade.

Nov 12, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #2,269 of 2,613
I don't find the 789 to have a lean or cold sound, but it is clearer and more detailed than the Marantz HD-DAC1 I've been using. Today a Topping D50s arrives, and I'm eager to see how it works when paired with the 789.

Nov 12, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #2,270 of 2,613
I don't find the 789 to have a lean or cold sound, but it is clearer and more detailed than the Marantz HD-DAC1 I've been using. Today a Topping D50s arrives, and I'm eager to see how it works when paired with the 789.

I've actually been using a D50S and 789 for the last 6-7 months. I've been pretty happy with it so far (paired with Fostex TH-900 for a while before I sold them, MDR-Z1R, and Verite Closed). Was looking at the A90 due to recent sales + "grass-is-greener" thinking haha, but no real complaints other than the size mismatch between the D50S and the 789

Nov 12, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #2,271 of 2,613
I've actually been using a D50S and 789 for the last 6-7 months. I've been pretty happy with it so far (paired with Fostex TH-900 for a while before I sold them, MDR-Z1R, and Verite Closed). Was looking at the A90 due to recent sales + "grass-is-greener" thinking haha, but no real complaints other than the size mismatch between the D50S and the 789
Good to hear. I don't care about the size mismatch because the units will be side by side. I'll be used Focal Clears and Senn HD-600's.

Nov 17, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #2,272 of 2,613
Just wanted to add some kudos for this amp. I simply needed an amp to troubleshoot an issue, needing a 'second opinion' as it were. I figured I'd get it, test with it, experience a total letdown sonically, and return it. I went in thinking this would be a clinical, bright and edgy, non-engaging sounding amp. And for $300, what would one expect? I was/am pleasantly surprised. I've owned a dozen amps or so, prices all over the map, and this little dude has to be the new price/performance leader. I'm seriously considering keeping it just to have on hand, if not make it my semi-permanent daily driver, at least for now. I'm enjoying it! Driving my Abyss 1266 Phi CC just fine. :thumbsup:

PXL_20201117_220052867.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #2,273 of 2,613
Just wanted to add some kudos for this amp. I simply needed an amp to troubleshoot an issue, needing a 'second opinion' as it were. I figured I'd get it, test with it, experience a total letdown sonically, and return it. I went in thinking this would be a clinical, bright and edgy, non-engaging sounding amp. And for $300, what would one expect? I was/am pleasantly surprised. I've owned a dozen amps or so, prices all over the map, and this little dude has to be the new price/performance leader. I'm seriously considering keeping it just to have on hand, if not make it my semi-permanent daily driver, at least for now. I'm enjoying it! Driving my Abyss 1266 Phi CC just fine. :thumbsup:

Glad you stumbled on to something that worked better than expected. Surely one of the most fun aspects of this hobby. Your intentions were spot on too. I have used this amp many times to reveal a change in the chain. It is very revealing of everything in front of it. With the added pleasure of knowing it is a very good amp.

Nov 17, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #2,274 of 2,613
I'd been using a Marantz HD-DAC1 both as headphone amp and DAC. The THX added clarity to complex classical orchestral music with the Marantz as DAC. A Topping D50s DAC in place of the Marantz added an out-of-the head soundstage to my Focal Clears that I didn't have before. Very happy with the combo; I was concerned the result would be bright, clinical, and dry, but the result isn't any of these things.

Nov 17, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #2,275 of 2,613
@pbarach You bring a smile to my face. D50s somewhere around $250 US + Drop THX 789 at $300 US and I know you are a happy camper. More money for headphones! Am I right? This is the best of times to enjoy the music we love.

Good start with a great headphones and wise approach to getting them to perform better.:relieved:

Focals are great at out of the head experience. I call them speakers on your head. Once you quit lookin at them it’s just music.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #2,276 of 2,613
I'd been using a Marantz HD-DAC1 both as headphone amp and DAC. The THX added clarity to complex classical orchestral music with the Marantz as DAC. A Topping D50s DAC in place of the Marantz added an out-of-the head soundstage to my Focal Clears that I didn't have before. Very happy with the combo; I was concerned the result would be bright, clinical, and dry, but the result isn't any of these things.

Based on some of the other posts here, it seems like component synergy is very important with this amp. I suppose it is with any amp, but the sterility and brightness I was fearing and others have noted, I haven't really heard. And this is with an Abyss, so it would be noticeable if it was there. I wonder if my DAC and aftermarket HP cabling are balancing things out and lending to a fuller sound throughout. I'm not hearing anything I'd consider overly bright, clinical or not 'musical'. And I consider myself sensitive to those things, especially brightness.

Anyone notice any sonic differences in the gain settings? I was primarily using the middle gain setting so I could get more play with the volume knob, but going back and forth between middle and high gain (doing my best to level match), it seems like middle gain is a tad softer and rounder sounding than high gain?

Nov 17, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #2,277 of 2,613
@tholt, I really don’t think gain will change any aspect of signature other than added volume. But perception of this added or decreased volume via gain is perceived by the headphone used. Low Mid High are all adding or decreasing volume applied to the resistance of the headphone. Your perception is correct, I have noticed the same and it is a fun dance. Finding the gain setting plus volume position for optimum pleasure with various headphones. Very nuanced you must have good ears, blessed for sure.

The gain setting is primarily there to overcome resistance. Each gain setting can be perceived as optimal for any particular headphones resistance..

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 12:12 AM Post #2,278 of 2,613
@tholt, I really don’t think gain will change any aspect of signature other than added volume. But perception of this added or decreased volume via gain is perceived by the headphone used. Low Mid High are all adding or decreasing volume applied to the resistance of the headphone. Your perception is correct, I have noticed the same and it is a fun dance. Finding the gain setting plus volume position for optimum pleasure with various headphones. Very nuanced you must have good ears, blessed for sure.

The gain setting is primarily there to overcome resistance. Each gain setting can be perceived as optimal for any particular headphones resistance..

I'm guessing the headphones are allowing me to hear the differences as much as my ears do. Nothing really escapes the 1266. It's subtle, but I've found a consistent increase in dynamics, air and incisiveness on the high gain vs the others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back