Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread
Dec 12, 2018 at 12:48 AM Post #572 of 2,613
See the RCA to XLR Benchmark cable Yviena found. That's how it's done properly.
Your 1 side floating shield approach doesn't provide a separate path for CM current to flow. In your setup, CM current will flow in your star quad negative wire, adding ground bounce that'll manifest as noise/hum.

Check out the Benchmark RCA to XLR cable Yviena found. That's how to cover Ll the bases.

Hi Andrew,

Is this a typo on the Benchmark site:
"The separate connection from the RCA ground to pin 2 of the XLR provides a dedicated path for the audio ground reference. "

Should that be XLR Pin #3?

Because the description says:
"One half of the star-quad ties Pin 3 of the XLR to the shield of the RCA connector. The other half of the star-quad ties pin 2 of the XLR to the center pin on the RCA. The braided shield ties pin 1 of the XLR to the shield of the RCA."

From Rane:

Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 5.33.42 pm.png

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2018 at 1:00 AM Post #573 of 2,613
My amp is working fine with SE outputs. Yesterday made a XLR silver cable for my HD650s. Whenever I increase the volume in any of the gain modes the overcurrent protection is activated and the red led is lit. I have not used the ground pin in the XLR male plug just pin 1 left positive pin 2 left negative pin 3 right positive and pin 4 right negative.
K4UocipzSdmtf4hRkdGp_15445903987951697547667355172561.jpg

Dec 12, 2018 at 2:43 AM Post #574 of 2,613
My amp is working fine with SE outputs. Yesterday made a XLR silver cable for my HD650s. Whenever I increase the volume in any of the gain modes the overcurrent protection is activated and the red led is lit. I have not used the ground pin in the XLR male plug just pin 1 left positive pin 2 left negative pin 3 right positive and pin 4 right negative.
If you have a multimeter check that there's no continuity between any two pins. You may have shorted something when building the cable.

Dec 12, 2018 at 5:33 AM Post #575 of 2,613
Sounds like you are working towards getting the THX AAA 789. The amp must have the features you need of course. Do you need balanced output or pass through it´s a given not to go with the V200.

Long time since I had the V200 it had more of a v-shaped signature I felt but will not go into details more then it really does have a clear signature. And if you really liked it, it may suit you better. Of course, the only way to know is to get one and compare :wink:
By some wicked twist of fate I have ordered both of them! :darthsmile: THX 789 is waiting in US and Chinese clone of HPA-A200 is in Beijing now. Will have them both on my hands in January and will be able to A/B them to choose the one I like best and sell the other one. Guess it's the only wait to avoid regrets of not trying the other one.))) P.S. I am mentally prepared that I'll like them both and leave them standing one above the other. Hope my wife bears with me))

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2018 at 6:18 AM Post #576 of 2,613
Any information when will this amp be available again?

Dec 12, 2018 at 8:50 AM Post #577 of 2,613
Hi Andrew,

Is this a typo on the Benchmark site:
"The separate connection from the RCA ground to pin 2 of the XLR provides a dedicated path for the audio ground reference. "

Should that be XLR Pin #3?

Because the description says:
"One half of the star-quad ties Pin 3 of the XLR to the shield of the RCA connector. The other half of the star-quad ties pin 2 of the XLR to the center pin on the RCA. The braided shield ties pin 1 of the XLR to the shield of the RCA."

From Rane:

Good catch! Looks like a typo. You could email them to report it.

Dec 12, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #579 of 2,613
If you have a multimeter check that there's no continuity between any two pins. You may have shorted something when building the cable.
Yes you were right. One of the strands from the left positive was intermittently touching the ground. A few heat shrink and now it runs like a charm. Thanks

Dec 13, 2018 at 8:59 AM Post #583 of 2,613
@gtbrown50,

I see that you have both the THX AAA 789 and Burson CV2+. Which one is better? Can you provide a comparison please? That wold serve as a good benchmark.

Cheers mate.

I wish I could, but I purchased the Burson some time ago, pre-Schiit. As its a Dac and Amp, I never used just the Amp alone. When I went the Multibit route, Gumby then Yggy, the Burson was boxed and put on a shelf. Its still sitting on the shelf, and I'm planning on selling it after Christmas.

Dec 13, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #584 of 2,613
I wish I could, but I purchased the Burson some time ago, pre-Schiit. As its a Dac and Amp, I never used just the Amp alone. When I went the Multibit route, Gumby then Yggy, the Burson was boxed and put on a shelf. Its still sitting on the shelf, and I'm planning on selling it after Christmas.
I will compare it with the Burson CV2+ later, since mine has arrived.

Dec 13, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #585 of 2,613
jzsttv7ul1421.jpg

Just got it in the mail!

Paired with my Denafrips Terminator ( balanced ) - sounds excellent with either the Audio Technica ADX5000 or ZMF Eikon.

Just the amp to show that price is often not commensurate with performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back