1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by XERO1, Mar 1, 2018.
First

Back
29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38
40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49
Next

Last
  1. alpovs
    Schiit Lyr is a tube single-ended amp. It's like comparing apples and oranges. Any tube amp is colored IMHO.

xLoud likes this.
  2. Em2016
    Hi Andrew,

Is this a typo on the Benchmark site:
    "The separate connection from the RCA ground to pin 2 of the XLR provides a dedicated path for the audio ground reference. "

Should that be XLR Pin #3?

Because the description says:
    "One half of the star-quad ties Pin 3 of the XLR to the shield of the RCA connector. The other half of the star-quad ties pin 2 of the XLR to the center pin on the RCA. The braided shield ties pin 1 of the XLR to the shield of the RCA."

From Rane:

Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 5.33.42 pm.png

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  3. Audiodoc
    My amp is working fine with SE outputs. Yesterday made a XLR silver cable for my HD650s. Whenever I increase the volume in any of the gain modes the overcurrent protection is activated and the red led is lit. I have not used the ground pin in the XLR male plug just pin 1 left positive pin 2 left negative pin 3 right positive and pin 4 right negative.
    K4UocipzSdmtf4hRkdGp_15445903987951697547667355172561.jpg

4. elira
    If you have a multimeter check that there's no continuity between any two pins. You may have shorted something when building the cable.

Audiodoc and AndrewM888 like this.
  5. ReAlien
    By some wicked twist of fate I have ordered both of them! :darthsmile: THX 789 is waiting in US and Chinese clone of HPA-A200 is in Beijing now. Will have them both on my hands in January and will be able to A/B them to choose the one I like best and sell the other one. Guess it's the only wait to avoid regrets of not trying the other one.))) P.S. I am mentally prepared that I'll like them both and leave them standing one above the other. Hope my wife bears with me))

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    omniweltall and cardeli22 like this.
  6. escalibur
    Any information when will this amp be available again?

alphanumerix1 likes this.
  7. AndrewM888
    Good catch! Looks like a typo. You could email them to report it.

Em2016 likes this.
  8. omniweltall
    @gtbrown50,

I see that you have both the THX AAA 789 and Burson CV2+. Which one is better? Can you provide a comparison please? That would serve as a good benchmark.

Cheers mate.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  9. Audiodoc
    Yes you were right. One of the strands from the left positive was intermittently touching the ground. A few heat shrink and now it runs like a charm. Thanks

AndrewM888 likes this.
  10. AndrewM888
    I hear a drop is imminent.

alpovs likes this.
  11. draculr
    Does anyone know if the RCA out is variable or fixed volume?

12. Alcophone
    Fixed - it's a passthrough and it works even when the amp is off. It's not a preamp.

13. gtbrown50
    I wish I could, but I purchased the Burson some time ago, pre-Schiit. As its a Dac and Amp, I never used just the Amp alone. When I went the Multibit route, Gumby then Yggy, the Burson was boxed and put on a shelf. Its still sitting on the shelf, and I'm planning on selling it after Christmas.

omniweltall likes this.
  14. omniweltall
    I will compare it with the Burson CV2+ later, since mine has arrived.

15. Wil
    [​IMG]

Just got it in the mail!

Paired with my Denafrips Terminator ( balanced ) - sounds excellent with either the Audio Technica ADX5000 or ZMF Eikon.

Just the amp to show that price is often not commensurate with performance.

First

Back
29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38
40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49
Next

Last