Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread
Dec 6, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #527 of 2,613
Been listening 2 hours straight now. Wow wow wow! If you have been on the fence about getting one, I suggest you hit purchase as soon as the next drop goes live!

Dec 6, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #528 of 2,613
HE-1000, mate. And it broke in 3 months. Sold it at a huge loss. Oh well, I didn't even like it that much. Had to keep paying off the bank loan for a long time after it was gone LOL.

Anyway, this taught me to be more critical when buying gears. Lots of hype in this hobby.

Stay away from new Hifiman products is the lesson to learn. Horrible resale value, and a saturated product stack means you will never be able to sell it for anything close to what you paid for it. Buying used seems to be the way to go, so long as you are comfortable with the sometimes suspect build quality.

Dec 6, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #529 of 2,613
Stay away from new Hifiman products is the lesson to learn. Horrible resale value, and a saturated product stack means you will never be able to sell it for anything close to what you paid for it. Buying used seems to be the way to go, so long as you are comfortable with the sometimes suspect build quality.
Cannot agree more. I don't even wanna buy them used. USD200 is the most I'll pay for any TOTL Hifiman.

Been listening 2 hours straight now. Wow wow wow! If you have been on the fence about getting one, I suggest you hit purchase as soon as the next drop goes live!
Come come...have a seat...tell us more :)

Dec 6, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #531 of 2,613
Why didn't you replace/repair them under warranty?..
It was a longer story...anyway I was very disappointed at their customer service and didn't want to deal with them no more. Nor did I want to take the cost and risk of shipping back and forth. Sold it for cheap as the buyer was more willing.

Let's move back on topic.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #535 of 2,613
Day 3 report.

I was basically WOW'ed the first time I heard it. Even with new-toy syndrome fading away, I'm continued to be WOW'ed by this thing. If it weren't for all the measurements telling me it's very neutral, I would swear it's adding something, because I always heard my HD800 as open and airy, but this thing gave it impact. The separation and speed is easily comparable to a SS amp that costs twice as much.

If it were an option, I would definitely pay more money for a better volume pot. It feels kinda cheap and the low volume channel imbalance is more significant than I would like.

Still keeping it though. For the money I'm not sure if there is anything better.

Dec 6, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #536 of 2,613
Day 3 report.

I was basically WOW'ed the first time I heard it. Even with new-toy syndrome fading away, I'm continued to be WOW'ed by this thing. If it weren't for all the measurements telling me it's very neutral, I would swear it's adding something, because I always heard my HD800 as open and airy, but this thing gave it impact. The separation and speed is easily comparable to a SS amp that costs twice as much.

If it were an option, I would definitely pay more money for a better volume pot. It feels kinda cheap and the low volume channel imbalance is more significant than I would like.

Still keeping it though. For the money I'm not sure if there is anything better.
If people keep reporting like you do about this amp, I might pull the trigger when next drop is up.
I have listened to Monoprice's thx aaa788 amp, and I have similar impression as yours, but its
dac design sucks, so I returned it, and thinking this amp should at least does as good.

Can some one compares this amp with Audio-GD NFB-1Amp, if you happen to own both.
Thanks.

Dec 7, 2018 at 12:27 AM Post #538 of 2,613
However SE audio on an RCA can be easily corrupted by CM noise current on the RCA shield which, multiplied by shield impedance, gives a noise voltage.

Not if you wire it like this. Here the shield isn't connected to the RCA cable at all:

Screen Shot 2018-12-07 at 4.26.15 pm.png

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2018 at 12:47 AM Post #539 of 2,613
Cons:
- Volume pot does not go completely silent
- Super low volume has channel imbalance
- Gain1 position has a crosstalk issue. Probably not audible in most cases, but people have noticed it.

Were these observations with the balanced headphone cable output?

And also balanced input XLR cables?

If not, can you share what the input cables were and the headphone cable output was.

Cheers!

Dec 7, 2018 at 2:21 AM Post #540 of 2,613
Were these observations with the balanced headphone cable output?

And also balanced input XLR cables?

If not, can you share what the input cables were and the headphone cable output was.

Cheers!
I’ve problems one and two, well the only real problem is the channel imbalance, using XLR input and low impedance dynamic headphones in gain 1. I don’t think the crosstalk is audible but for me the amp sounds best using balanced output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back