1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by XERO1, Mar 1, 2018.
First

Back
25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34
36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45
Next

Last
  1. konstanzzz
    How often does this drop go live? Anyone know?

2. Baten
    It was a continuous drop but they sold out much quicker than supply.

Should come back in stock, once new batch comes in. No word on when that will be, can take a month or two actually, realistically.

konstanzzz likes this.
  3. MacMan31
    There is over 3,500 requests including mine so it will come back due to popularity.

4. Baten
    For me it says "269 USERS HAVE REQUESTED THIS PRODUCT"

5. MacMan31
    Screen Shot 2018-12-06 at 10.05.10 AM.png

6. Baten
    I think this is one of the infamous massdrop bugs : p

for you it shows total lifetime, for me it shows since last ended drop. or something..

cardeli22 and ReAlien like this.
  7. MacMan31
    Perhaps so. Either way I'm sure this drop will return. I still can't decide if it's worth upgrading from my Aune X7S. Seems difficult to sell used audio gear online where I live.

8. Baten
    eBay is always an option but they take a rather hefty cut. Honestly I think an amp upgrade is much more important than DAC upgrade as long as you have a relatively modern output. If you have the $350 this amp is a no-brainer. Best things in head-fi or even audio in years.

Euphonik likes this.
  9. MacMan31
    Well it would be more like $500 for me with exchange rate to Canada. I'm using the MD Grace SDAC.

10. 4LoveOfSound
    I was lucky enough to make the last drop and it arrived yesterday. Ironically, the same day I shipped back the Monoprice Monolith 788. Listening to the AAA789 now. Wow! I am not sorry I shipped back the Monolith. I didn't get the "wow" factor with the Monolith. I have high frequency sensitivity and I found the Monolith to be fatiguing and couldn't listen for very long. I used the built in EQ and tried to fix it, but in the time I had it, didn't get it quit right. The 789 isn't fatiguing at all! Also, the bass on the Monolith seemed bloated compared to the the AAA789. The 789 has defined powerful bass. I'm listening with a pair of EMU Teaks with a balanced cable. I'm using gain setting 2 and volume around 9 o'clock. Very strong, clear bass. I also find the 789 much more detailed. I'm using an Emotiva DC-1 balanced out into the 789. Nice pairing. I used the built in DAC in the Monolith and the balanced inputs with the DC-1 and neither sounded as good as the 789 with the DC-1 balanced in. The Monolith sounded best with the built in DAC but still not as good. I'm really glad I sent back the Monolith and bought the THX AAA789, much better sounding and cheaper. Of course this is my opinion and someone else may and probably will disagree with me. That's why there are different choices out there.

11. Baten
    That's great to hear. Many people say it is not fatiguing, probably due to the super low distortion!

I had ordered one of the last 6 units of this amp, will ship to hotel during stay in US. Hope parcel arrives in time, hotel handles it properly, etc. This was a big gamble lol
    What one does for good audio =p..

Euphonik and omniweltall like this.
  12. omniweltall
    I once took out a 1-year bank loan to purchase a headphone without my wife knowing. The loan stayed much longer than the headphone.

cardeli22 and Baten like this.
  13. Baten
    Damn what headphone was that? HE-1? baby Orpheus? Stax?

In any case, absolute madlad.

cardeli22 and omniweltall like this.
  14. omniweltall
    HE-1000, mate. And it broke in 3 months. Sold it at a huge loss. Oh well, I didn't even like it that much. Had to keep paying off the bank loan for a long time after it was gone LOL.

Anyway, this taught me to be more critical when buying gears. Lots of hype in this hobby.

Baten likes this.
  15. Baten
    Aww I expected a happier story than this. Sad you had to go through that.

omniweltall likes this.
First

Back
25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34
36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45
Next

Last