1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by XERO1, Mar 1, 2018.
First

Back
26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35
37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46
Next

Last
  1. omniweltall
    Oh well, the lesson was well worth $3000 :)

cardeli22 likes this.
  2. 4LoveOfSound
    Been listening 2 hours straight now. Wow wow wow! If you have been on the fence about getting one, I suggest you hit purchase as soon as the next drop goes live!

3. davisman
    Stay away from new Hifiman products is the lesson to learn. Horrible resale value, and a saturated product stack means you will never be able to sell it for anything close to what you paid for it. Buying used seems to be the way to go, so long as you are comfortable with the sometimes suspect build quality.

cardeli22 and omniweltall like this.
  4. omniweltall
    Cannot agree more. I don't even wanna buy them used. USD200 is the most I'll pay for any TOTL Hifiman.

Come come...have a seat...tell us more :)

cardeli22 likes this.
  5. alpovs
    Why didn't you replace/repair them under warranty?..

6. omniweltall
    It was a longer story...anyway I was very disappointed at their customer service and didn't want to deal with them no more. Nor did I want to take the cost and risk of shipping back and forth. Sold it for cheap as the buyer was more willing.

Let's move back on topic.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  7. alpovs
    I know, I have them. If both are balanced why would you connect them single-ended?

8. konstanzzz
    Y'all are making me jelly. Now I'll definitely have to get one when the next drop goes live.

9. gtbrown50
    Its how I roll.

omniweltall likes this.
  10. Arctia
    Day 3 report.

I was basically WOW'ed the first time I heard it. Even with new-toy syndrome fading away, I'm continued to be WOW'ed by this thing. If it weren't for all the measurements telling me it's very neutral, I would swear it's adding something, because I always heard my HD800 as open and airy, but this thing gave it impact. The separation and speed is easily comparable to a SS amp that costs twice as much.

If it were an option, I would definitely pay more money for a better volume pot. It feels kinda cheap and the low volume channel imbalance is more significant than I would like.

Still keeping it though. For the money I'm not sure if there is anything better.

chenszhanx and Baten like this.
  11. gto88
    If people keep reporting like you do about this amp, I might pull the trigger when next drop is up.
    I have listened to Monoprice's thx aaa788 amp, and I have similar impression as yours, but its
    dac design sucks, so I returned it, and thinking this amp should at least does as good.

Can some one compares this amp with Audio-GD NFB-1Amp, if you happen to own both.
    Thanks.

12. snip3r77
    omniweltall likes this.
  13. Em2016
    Not if you wire it like this. Here the shield isn't connected to the RCA cable at all:

Screen Shot 2018-12-07 at 4.26.15 pm.png

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  14. Em2016
    Were these observations with the balanced headphone cable output?

And also balanced input XLR cables?

If not, can you share what the input cables were and the headphone cable output was.

Cheers!

15. elira
    I’ve problems one and two, well the only real problem is the channel imbalance, using XLR input and low impedance dynamic headphones in gain 1. I don’t think the crosstalk is audible but for me the amp sounds best using balanced output.

First

Back
26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35
37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46
Next

Last