Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread
Apr 9, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #121 of 2,613
Moreover, it ships June 2108. And you thought Massdrop was slow. :)
Got one for my grandkid (my son is 11...) - thanks! :wink:

May 2, 2018 at 12:01 AM Post #124 of 2,613
I'll do more measurements after CanJam SoCal.

Any update on those measurements? :fingers_crossed:

Also, I was wondering if you saw this topic that came up in the posts after the review of the RME ADI-2 DAC at audiosciencereview.com.

Basically, it explores the apparent effect of how real headphone loads have a substantially different effect on amp performance over dummy loads. The measurement is made with real headphones attached. I was wondering if you had ever experimented with this and indeed, if you may be able to do a similar test with the THX AAA 789.

Also linked is the original Benchmark article.

RME's Matthias Carstens responded to a question regarding this behavior in what seemed to be a dismissive manner, but I have difficulty figuring out exactly what he was trying to say, other than it was unfounded.

Thanks again!

May 14, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #125 of 2,613
Since this is a massdrop made item, what’re the chances it’ll drop again in the future?
From what I’ve seen, the CTH, 6xx, 4xx and other MDM items keep redropping consistently.
It would be nice if this drops again. It would complete my amp stack lol

May 14, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #126 of 2,613
For those of you who can't wait and want to try a mobile version I-blades.Com are selling thx aaa smart cases. No specifics on which amp but I would guess it will be an se lower quality amp.

Jul 21, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #134 of 2,613
I don't really mind *when* they'll drop it (provided hopefully its not on 2020 or something later), I care more on the *if* and *will* part.

I'm pretty sure they didn't put the huge amount of time and money it took to make this amp into it hoping they would only sell the 300ish they have so far. I'd say it's probably about a 99 percent certainty that they will drop it again eventually.

Jul 21, 2018 at 3:27 PM Post #135 of 2,613
I’m guessing that having made a few review samples available would have resulted in more sales on the original drop. Just a guess though, as I’m not a marketing guru. If I had to guess what the amp is like based on the tech, on reviews of the tech in other devices, and on posts by members of the engineering team that developed it, I’d say it’s going to be at least good and possibly great. All guesses though. Guesses that could have been replaced with actual listening impressions of actual sample review units. I’ll definately buy one if it drops again based on positive reviews. Otherwise, it’s really just guessing, and I’m not going to buy anything based on a guess. At least not anymore.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back