1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by XERO1, Mar 1, 2018.
First

Back
1 2 3 4 5 6
8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Next

Last
  1. Liu Junyuan
    Then believe it didn't happen, and you can go about your day.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  2. sebna
    Left the drop. Cannot be bothered anymore. I have waited long enough for some meaningful reviews. I was 50th person to join about 30 minutes after the drop has started.

Maybe with next drop I will revisit once it is of known quality...

3. CEE TEE Contributor
    Hi Alcophone...Zachik won't be able to meet up this week. Do you want to try and come by Friday around 5pm? If yes, PM me. I am listening to one of the returned units now. :relieved:

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/massdrop https://twitter.com/massdrop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
    Alcophone likes this.
  4. Alcophone
    Thank you, I'd love to! PM sent.

5. Sythrix
  6. Zachik
    Please share some info / impressions / notes afterwards...

7. Gallic Dweller
    No one seems aware that this is not breakthrough technology, it's only a revamp of what Quad were doing in the 1970s' aka Quad 405 power amp which is still very popular and can still be sent to Quad for renovation. There is also a guy in Sussex who is making improved copies. Paul Baldwin /www.ReelAudio.Co.UK. Apparently he's always open to custom built equipment. He does'nt build h/amps but he's got the expertise to design one using this technology. If I can get the help I need to mod the pre-amp circuit of the D/V 336SE, I'd like to use his version of the 405 for my speakers.

8. mtmercer
    I personally am NOT bothered by the marketing or the topology specifics of however they achieve the performance of the amp. This is because I am trying to take more of a black box approach to amps and let user impressions drive selection. In this case, I admit to not following that objective. I like the thought of "wire with gain" style amps but I joined the drop without reviews or user impressions available. Self admitted hypocrite I guess :)

When I got into this hobby last year, I thought I would learn how amps are designed and be able to predict an amps performance based on a technical evaluation of topology. I was wrong on 3 counts.
    1) I have no idea to design an amp and I'm too lazy to go read several books just to get a basic understanding of how to design a mediocre amp.
    2) Even if I did understand how to design an amp, the designers/marketing only share high level info about the amps topology. Detailed topology diagrams are not public for obvious reasons.
    3) Even if I actually did know how to design an amp and had the topology, the performance of the amp also depends on the quality of components selected for said topology. We don't usually get the parts list and even if I had it, I would not be able to evaluate it.

Then there is the whole interpreting specs aspects of various amps. I admit to pleading ignorance other than a basic understanding of amp specs. I will point out that what I consider my current most transparent amp is the HeadAmp Gilmore Lite Mk 2 which has few specs published and the specs that are published don't WOW you. But if you get a chance to listen to you, it really makes a great impression with its clarify, transparency, and lack of harshness, etc.

9. alpovs
  10. Alcophone
    15h, <170 amps left

11. Alcophone
    Will do my best!

12. Alcophone
  13. jude Administrator
    This amp all but requires the Audio Precision APx555 audio analyzer to get the full measure of it -- I'm not sure there's another analyzer that has a deeper floor. As you can see in the FFT plot that I sent CEE_TEE (also attached to this post below), the Massdrop x THX AAA 789's floor rides right atop the APx555's across the audio band -- this is lower than any other amp I've measured, and by a margin.

Massdrop-x-THX-AAA-789-FFT-Spectrum.jpg

(One thing I inadvertently left out that should have been in the FFT configuration text in the graph is that bandwidth was 90k (192 kHz SR).)

As for the 789's sound, I'm happy to say that it measures this way and it sounds great, too -- that's the easiest kind of story to tell. I'll say more about it after CanJam SoCal. I'm sorry this measurement is only being posted now -- we've been swamped with three CanJams in a row (NYC, Singapore, and now SoCal).

I'll do more measurements after CanJam SoCal.

cardeli22, Roll, Daemon Ursus and 4 others like this.
  14. GenEricOne
    Thanks for posting that, Jude.

Any chance we can get the same data but a logarithmic scale for Frequency? The detail below 1kHz is squashed.

15. Sanlitun
    Missed the drop. Why did they end it in the middle of the night? If it had been 6 PM rather than 6 AM I would be in.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
First

Back
1 2 3 4 5 6
8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Next

Last