1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by XERO1, Mar 1, 2018.
First

Back
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Next

Last
  1. alpovs
    Why balanced input but unbalanced output in the measurements?

2. jude Administrator
    Connection availability. I had a very limited time window to do the measurement, and we had what was needed in the box to make that connection from the 1/4" headphone out. At some point after CanJam SoCal, I'd like to run more measures and post more about what I think of this amp subjectively, too.

alpovs likes this.
  3. Daemon Ursus
    It ended at midnight Massdrop local time, not that strange IMO.

4. tizman
    The drop is over. Now is a perfect time for some listening impressions and a review of a sample. If you all like, I can do an impression of some listening impressions....

5. sebna
    Is this a joke? If so it is a bad one.

6. tizman
    You are right. This is not the joke thread, it’s the thread for listening impressions. But there are no listening impressions. That’s actually the joke. Well, that’s my impression.

7. tizman
    “Bad joke” is your opinion. Unlike opinions, not everyone has impressions. Actually, no one has impressions. But I can do an impression of someone who has heard the amp and has an actual listening impression. No joke.

braaam likes this.
  8. tizman
    Here is a short excerpt from my “Impression of a Listening Impression of the THX AAA 789 Linear Amplifier”...

“Upon receiving the amplifier, I took it out of the box and placed it on my solid plutonium equipment rack. I was immediately struck by its incredible transparency. I could clearly see the top of the equipment rack through the amplifier.”

buonassi likes this.
  9. Daemon Ursus
    Man, if you were any saltier, your name would be Lot's wife. Maybe take a breath go outside, get some sun, possibly even have a good time and realize its just a first production run of a headphone amp, not a life and death situation.

volly likes this.
  10. Gallic Dweller
    DU - well said. hang loose, catch some rays, one or three glasses of a good wine also helps - listen to some sounds, that also helps.

11. tizman
    Went outside, took a walk in the sun, heard a bunch of birds chirping, and had a few beers. It helped a bit. Let me know if you all would like another snippet of my impressions. Lots more.....

12. GenEricOne
    Small bit of news, Jude had a brief blurb about sound impressions from listening to THX AAA amps, with the implication that this includes the Massdrop x THX AAA-789.

The rundown: In Jude's CanJam SoCal Preview video, Jude announces the Benchmark HPA4 will be present at CanJam SoCal 2018. HPA4 is another THX AAA amp, based on the AAA-888.

He shows the Massdrop x THX AAA-789 measurements that are already in this thread and says he expects the HPA4 to measure at least as good.

Then he goes on, "Now if you're wondering if this kind of measured performance means clinical sound, think again. The AAA amps I've heard so far have been, like Benchmark's latest DACs, highly resolving, neutral, and yet smooth."

Link to YouTube video beginning at the of the HPA4 segment:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    volly and Alcophone like this.
  13. mtoc
    Benchmark hpa4: thx888 dual mono
    this: 788 dual mono

14. negura
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  15. alpovs
    Moreover, it ships June 2108. And you thought Massdrop was slow. :)
    Picture2.png

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    Deftone, hjteq, silo842 and 1 other person like this.
First

Back
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Next

Last