Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread
Mar 30, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #107 of 2,613
Why balanced input but unbalanced output in the measurements?
Connection availability. I had a very limited time window to do the measurement, and we had what was needed in the box to make that connection from the 1/4" headphone out. At some point after CanJam SoCal, I'd like to run more measures and post more about what I think of this amp subjectively, too.

Mar 31, 2018 at 3:05 AM Post #110 of 2,613
The drop is over. Now is a perfect time for some listening impressions and a review of a sample. If you all like, I can do an impression of some listening impressions....

Is this a joke? If so it is a bad one.

Mar 31, 2018 at 6:10 AM Post #112 of 2,613
“Bad joke” is your opinion. Unlike opinions, not everyone has impressions. Actually, no one has impressions. But I can do an impression of someone who has heard the amp and has an actual listening impression. No joke.

Mar 31, 2018 at 6:47 AM Post #113 of 2,613
Here is a short excerpt from my “Impression of a Listening Impression of the THX AAA 789 Linear Amplifier”...

“Upon receiving the amplifier, I took it out of the box and placed it on my solid plutonium equipment rack. I was immediately struck by its incredible transparency. I could clearly see the top of the equipment rack through the amplifier.”

Mar 31, 2018 at 7:38 AM Post #114 of 2,613
Here is a short excerpt from my “Impression of a Listening Impression of the THX AAA 789 Linear Amplifier”...

“Upon receiving the amplifier, I took it out of the box and placed it on my solid plutonium equipment rack. I was immediately struck by its incredible transparency. I could clearly see the top of the equipment rack through the amplifier.”

Man, if you were any saltier, your name would be Lot's wife. Maybe take a breath go outside, get some sun, possibly even have a good time and realize its just a first production run of a headphone amp, not a life and death situation.

Apr 4, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #117 of 2,613
Small bit of news, Jude had a brief blurb about sound impressions from listening to THX AAA amps, with the implication that this includes the Massdrop x THX AAA-789.

The rundown: In Jude's CanJam SoCal Preview video, Jude announces the Benchmark HPA4 will be present at CanJam SoCal 2018. HPA4 is another THX AAA amp, based on the AAA-888.

He shows the Massdrop x THX AAA-789 measurements that are already in this thread and says he expects the HPA4 to measure at least as good.

Then he goes on, "Now if you're wondering if this kind of measured performance means clinical sound, think again. The AAA amps I've heard so far have been, like Benchmark's latest DACs, highly resolving, neutral, and yet smooth."

Link to YouTube video beginning at the of the HPA4 segment:

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #119 of 2,613
Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #120 of 2,613
Moreover, it ships June 2108. And you thought Massdrop was slow. :)
Picture2.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back