Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread
Mar 4, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #16 of 2,613
I would also love to hear about the listening impressions of someone who has demoed the amp. There is a Head-Fi TV YouTube video associated with Cam Jam London in which it is suggested that listening impressions were forthcoming. I am unable to find anything of the sort. Has anyone critically listened to any version of a THX AAA headphone amp? The gentleman in that video said he was impressed with his initial listening. It seems to me that putting out a few demo units of any of the versions would be a good move on the part of THX, if they are indeed as good as it appears from the specifications and measurements. In my experience with different DACs, amplifiers and other components, I have found that a spec sheet is a good indicator of the technical quality of a component, but it is hardly a replacement for the impressions of a person who has heard the amp, as well as many others, and can thereby judge its merits. Has anyone done this?

+1 on the entire post.

Mar 4, 2018 at 9:04 PM Post #17 of 2,613
October 31, 2018 delivery date is a turn off for me, I am sure some won't mind.

Mar 4, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #18 of 2,613
1. No DAC
2. External power supply
3. Made in China (guess)

4. How does it actually sound?
That’s the key one for me.

With respect to the other three points:

1. I’d rather use my own DAC that I like and have picked for myself rather than one picked for me that I have to pay for whether I like it or not.
2. This depends on how good a job they do with the external power supply. Also, it allows for an easier power supply upgrade if desired. I prefer to separate the power supply and circuit in my builds, so I see this as a good thing.
3. Probably a good guess.

Good points.
External power supply can be (if well done) beneficial, removing any possible source able to affect ( I guess by the means of EM interference or similar) the sensitive audio circuitry is often regarded as an advantage. It doesn't have to be always the case, but...

As for staff produced in China, well, a nr. of reputable companies from the western hemishphere have outsorced the actual production (facilities) to Shenzen in China. No problems there at all, and some of chi-fi stuff (headphone amps) is decent and good, well known fact today, given in many threads on headfi.

How good the amp actually sounds, as well as the build quality, ease of maintenance (availability of the parts as well as the - for example - point to point wiring in tube amps), quality of the parts used, both sonic and actual quality is always good to be taken into account (all of this vs. the price).

The engineering is most often the art of compromise.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #19 of 2,613
This was my take away also. I mentioned the issue about the external power supply on Massdrop, and was told this should not even be a point of discussion.
OK Then !
I also noticed "they" are soo cocky they won't bother to answer questions and when they do their tone is very condescending. Ok then!

Mar 5, 2018 at 4:37 AM Post #21 of 2,613
The cockiness could be because they have something really special. It’s not often that something really special comes along. Especially at this price point. The specifications and measurements certainly would indicate that this is the case. I am very optimistic about THX AAA. Benchmark’s AHB2 is highly rated by Stereophile, and it uses this tech. That said, I don’t understand why there aren’t any reviews. Perhaps there are samples out there, but no one has done a review yet?

Mar 5, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #28 of 2,613
I haven’t found a review yet. If anyone has a review unit, this would be a good time to put out a review, considering the drop. If anyone does know of a review, or finds one, please post a link to it in this thread. It would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 9DD858BE-D82F-48F4-9640-39F64BB608B1.jpeg
    9DD858BE-D82F-48F4-9640-39F64BB608B1.jpeg
    334.3 KB · Views: 0
Mar 6, 2018 at 12:16 AM Post #29 of 2,613
The cockiness could be because they have something really special. It’s not often that something really special comes along. Especially at this price point. The specifications and measurements certainly would indicate that this is the case. I am very optimistic about THX AAA. Benchmark’s AHB2 is highly rated by Stereophile, and it uses this tech. That said, I don’t understand why there aren’t any reviews. Perhaps there are samples out there, but no one has done a review yet?

They're not solving Africa's clean water problem nor do they build the first manned flight to Mars... THX could still answer simple questions even if they are at times redundant or simple / simplistic. Part of doing business in a civilized society is playing nice with your potential customers.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #30 of 2,613
Guys do you think this amp can be a competition to Violectric V200? Can it be better or is it not the same league?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back