1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by XERO1, Mar 1, 2018.
First

Back
3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Next

Last
  1. sejsel
    +1 on the entire post.

2. lugnut
    October 31, 2018 delivery date is a turn off for me, I am sure some won't mind.

3. sejsel
    Good points.
    External power supply can be (if well done) beneficial, removing any possible source able to affect ( I guess by the means of EM interference or similar) the sensitive audio circuitry is often regarded as an advantage. It doesn't have to be always the case, but...

As for staff produced in China, well, a nr. of reputable companies from the western hemishphere have outsorced the actual production (facilities) to Shenzen in China. No problems there at all, and some of chi-fi stuff (headphone amps) is decent and good, well known fact today, given in many threads on headfi.

How good the amp actually sounds, as well as the build quality, ease of maintenance (availability of the parts as well as the - for example - point to point wiring in tube amps), quality of the parts used, both sonic and actual quality is always good to be taken into account (all of this vs. the price).

The engineering is most often the art of compromise.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  4. Boerd
    I also noticed "they" are soo cocky they won't bother to answer questions and when they do their tone is very condescending. Ok then!

5. lugnut
    Ya I noticed that too !

6. tizman
    The cockiness could be because they have something really special. It’s not often that something really special comes along. Especially at this price point. The specifications and measurements certainly would indicate that this is the case. I am very optimistic about THX AAA. Benchmark’s AHB2 is highly rated by Stereophile, and it uses this tech. That said, I don’t understand why there aren’t any reviews. Perhaps there are samples out there, but no one has done a review yet?

7. tizman
    Also, AndrewMason has been very helpful and polite with me in the MassDrop forum.

cardeli22 likes this.
  8. Ad-Astra
    Doesn’t look that good

9. tizman
    What looks better for $350?

10. mtmercer
    SMSL T2 2X6J9 Super Low Ground Noise Vacuum Tube Headphone Amplifier... $59.00. cause tubes bra!
    http://a.co/8UdxJdh

Owe you want solid state...

YOHOOLYO Portable Headphone Amplifier Audio Powered Headphone Amplifier... $19.99. END GAME!
    http://a.co/eGAPv48

and yes, I have joined the AAA 789 drop!

11. baiyy1986
    really need some review or hands-on for this beauty.

12. mtmercer
    Good point. Gotta be a review unit somewhere.

cardeli22 likes this.
  13. tizman
    I haven’t found a review yet. If anyone has a review unit, this would be a good time to put out a review, considering the drop. If anyone does know of a review, or finds one, please post a link to it in this thread. It would be appreciated.

14. Boerd
    They're not solving Africa's clean water problem nor do they build the first manned flight to Mars... THX could still answer simple questions even if they are at times redundant or simple / simplistic. Part of doing business in a civilized society is playing nice with your potential customers.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    ridhuankim likes this.
  15. sebna
    Guys do you think this amp can be a competition to Violectric V200? Can it be better or is it not the same league?

hjteq likes this.
First

Back
3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Next

Last