Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread
Jan 19, 2019 at 8:50 PM Post #1,126 of 2,613
I have to say I like the THX 789 with the HD6XX. I don't get the sense that they have become brighter. At least not when compared to other amps i have like the Asgard 2 which is generally referred to as a 'warm' amp. The difference is the Asgard 2 is hazier and grainy compared to the thx with the hd6xx. Thx is just as 'warm', but is also cleaner and smoother. I'd much rather have a cleaner and smoother amp that gives me less fatigue, then a duller one that just gives me hazy distortion in the background that also fatigues me after a long session. Some people like that soup though. Why those types generally gravitate towards the tubes. The thx is by far the amp I own that pairs best with everything. The magni 3 is best with hd6xx, and th asgard 2 is best with planars. The planars help manage the soup, but the planars still sound best on the thx. Just another level amp.

Jan 19, 2019 at 8:59 PM Post #1,127 of 2,613
I have to say I like the THX 789 with the HD6XX. I don't get the sense that they have become brighter. At least not when compared to other amps i have like the Asgard 2 which is generally referred to as a 'warm' amp. The difference is the Asgard 2 is hazier and grainy compared to the thx with the hd6xx. Thx is just as 'warm', but is also cleaner and smoother. I'd much rather have a cleaner and smoother amp that gives me less fatigue, then a duller one that just gives me hazy distortion in the background that also fatigues me after a long session. Some people like that soup though. Why those types generally gravitate towards the tubes. The thx is by far the amp I own that pairs best with everything. The magni 3 is best with hd6xx, and th asgard 2 is best with planars. The planars help manage the soup, but the planars still sound best on the thx. Just another level amp.
Not tube amps are warm and dull. Those are usually the OTL. I also dont like those.

Agree the THX is clean clear. I didnt even notice it is warm. Im liking it a lot that I got rid of my other SS amps.

Jan 19, 2019 at 9:23 PM Post #1,128 of 2,613
Not tube amps are warm and dull. Those are usually the OTL. I also dont like those.

Agree the THX is clean clear. I didnt even notice it is warm. Im liking it a lot that I got rid of my other SS amps.

I thought the really good OTLs were the clearest and most transparent tube amps because of the lack of output transformers that are the biggest source of distortion in tube amps?

Jan 19, 2019 at 9:28 PM Post #1,129 of 2,613
I thought the really good OTLs were the clearest and most transparent tube amps because of the lack of output transformers that are the biggest source of distortion in tube amps?
Those are marketing crap. OTL normally has bad technicalities and high output impedance. What they offer is tonality....warm and lush. In this hobby, I always get alerted when people use the words "warm, lush, natural". Many times, it means bad technicalities hiding behind tonality.

I always prefer OPT designs in general.

Jan 19, 2019 at 9:29 PM Post #1,130 of 2,613
Those are marketing crap. OTL normally has bad technicalities and high output impedance. What they offer is tonality....warm and lush. In this hobby, I always get alerted when people use the words "warm, lush, natural". Many times, it means bad technicalities hiding behind tonality.

I always prefer OPT designs in general.
Makes sense.

Jan 19, 2019 at 10:51 PM Post #1,132 of 2,613

Well if I do end up splurging on the THX 789 I hope it's worth the wait. Over 8,200 requests for this amp so hopefully it drops soon. I'm sure many who have joined the drop like myself are getting anxious waiting.

Jan 19, 2019 at 10:52 PM Post #1,133 of 2,613
Well if I do end up splurging on the THX 789 I hope it's worth the wait. Over 8,200 requests for this amp so hopefully it drops soon. I'm sure many who have joined the drop like myself are getting anxious waiting.

When it comes up snatch one quick. They are going to sell out soon if they only have another limited stock run.

Jan 19, 2019 at 10:55 PM Post #1,134 of 2,613
When it comes up snatch one quick. They are going to sell out soon if they only have another limited stock run.

Yeah true. The annoying thing is that stuff like that usually happens when I'm working or otherwise occupied so I end up missing it.

Jan 19, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #1,136 of 2,613
You should at least have a day to get one. Or around 12 hours. So maybe on a break snatch it.

Yeah I'll probably do that. I'm just hoping that with all the hype for this amp that I don't have too high expectations and end up being underwhelmed.

Jan 19, 2019 at 11:06 PM Post #1,137 of 2,613
Yeah I'll probably do that. I'm just hoping that with all the hype for this amp that I don't have too high expectations and end up being underwhelmed.

Its definitely not going to completely overturn all your previous notions on how music sounds, but its a very nice amp, and for its price can pretty much as far as I know be called unrivaled.

Jan 19, 2019 at 11:07 PM Post #1,138 of 2,613
Yeah true. The annoying thing is that stuff like that usually happens when I'm working or otherwise occupied so I end up missing it.
Same here.

It is a great amp imo. Even the build quality surpassed my expectation. I'm liking this massdrop casing a lot. The buttons are all well-made. Everything is sturdy. I really don't get people who complain about the build quality.

But please manage your expectation. Even $3k gears might not live up to it, let alone a $350.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2019 at 11:08 PM Post #1,139 of 2,613
Its definitely not going to completely overturn all your previous notions on how music sounds, but its a very nice amp, and for its price can pretty much as far as I know be called unrivaled.

Well given the exchange rate to Canadian dollars it will cost around $500 for me. Is it still worth it at that price?

Jan 19, 2019 at 11:12 PM Post #1,140 of 2,613
Well given the exchange rate to Canadian dollars it will cost around $500 for me. Is it still worth it at that price?
I can't think of any amp I'd rather have under $1000 U.S The only others I'm thinking of getting as an upgrade are ones from violectric, and those are in an entirely different price category. I'm still trying to find a way to justify it, and so far have not. I'm happy with the thx. I stay away from tubes since I don't like having to service them all the time and change the tubes either. The only tube amps I have are for my guitars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back