Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread
Jan 19, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #1,112 of 2,613
I saw a review that claimed that your Aune is better. Google for both amp names.

I did that but I didn't see a review comparing both side by side. If I were to buy one of the Massdrop options I can just A/B them myself.

Jan 19, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #1,114 of 2,613
Now I remember why I did not get the Aune. The output impedance is just way too high. The only headphones I own that would work with it are my hd6xx. That's if you subscribe to the damping ratio rule for impedance. 11.1 is pretty bad, especially since most headphones on the market are 60 ohm or under. Really limits your options.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2019 at 3:33 PM Post #1,115 of 2,613

Thanks for that link. I don't really know how to read all those charts and graphs but from what I'm reading there it seems to get an average rating for performance. Perhaps it's not a good buy.

Now I remember why I did not get the Aune. The output impedance is just way too high. The only headphones I own that would work with it are my hd6xx. That's if you subscribe to the damping ratio rule for impedance. 11.7 is pretty bad, especially since most headphones on the market are 60 ohm or under. Really limits your options.

So higher output impedance is not necessarily a good thing?

Jan 19, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #1,116 of 2,613
Thanks for that link. I don't really know how to read all those charts and graphs but from what I'm reading there it seems to get an average rating for performance. Perhaps it's not a good buy.

So higher output impedance is not necessarily a good thing?

You generally want your headphones to have an impedance of 8-10 times that of your amp's output impedance. So for your Aune that takes every headphone under 110 ohms off the list.

Jan 19, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #1,117 of 2,613
You generally want your headphones to have an impedance of 8-10 times that of your amp's output impedance. So for your Aune that takes every headphone under 110 ohms off the list.

Hmm okay. So using any headphone with an impedance under 110Ohm on the Aune X7S would be bad? I haven't done that yet but just curious. I was interested in these but seems they would not pair well with the X7S. https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-fostex-tr-x00-mahogany-headphones

Jan 19, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #1,118 of 2,613

This is especially true for dynamics as the impedance typically varies over the FR. For planars, they are typically even in impedance across the FR so the sound across the spectrum should still be equal. At that point it would be a matter of providing clean current. This is just a theoretical discussion, I've never powered planars with a high output impedance amp so not sure on the real result.

Jan 19, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #1,119 of 2,613
Hmm okay. So using any headphone with an impedance under 110Ohm on the Aune X7S would be bad? I haven't done that yet but just curious. I was interested in these but seems they would not pair well with the X7S. https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-fostex-tr-x00-mahogany-headphones
Yes, those would typically be very bad. The impedance mis match does wonky things to the fr responce, but some might like it. But the headphones will not operate as the oem desired with the mis match, mutch more than just changing and amp would produce.

Jan 19, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #1,120 of 2,613
Yes, those would typically be very bad. The impedance mis match does wonky things to the fr responce, but some might like it. But the headphones will not operate as the oem desired with the mis match, mutch more than just changing and amp would produce.

Hmm okay. So would those Fostex work much better with the Massdrop amp offerings? Thing is that despite the average rating for the above linked review of the LCX I may end up really liking it. Seems sound enjoyment is very subjective.

Jan 19, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #1,121 of 2,613
Looking at Innerfidelity's impedance response graph, it's relatively close to being linear impedance response in the 26ohms, but at 20hz it has tiny bit variance of +2 ohms. So I think it's it's relatively flat almost like planars, and shouldn't get really wonky.

https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FostexTHX00sn1927.pdf

X7S output impedance is 10ohm in single ended mode and 20 ohm in balanced mode. Under spec, the closest that shows for power delivery is 1,700 mW at 32RZ XLR, and X00 is about 26 ohms impedance. I thought it was pretty easy to drive with portable DAP as well.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #1,122 of 2,613
In any event perhaps next year I could make a trip down. Do you think I'd be allowed to bring my own headphones to use to test the various amps?
You are absolutely allowed! Every amp vendor would let you test their amps with ANY headphone you want :)

Jan 19, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #1,123 of 2,613
You are absolutely allowed! Every amp vendor would let you test their amps with ANY headphone you want :)

That's pretty cool. Was just looking at the website for the event and tickets to get in are only $30. Was expecting it to be much higher around $200 or more. Maybe next year once I get my passport and full drivers license I'll drive down for the weekend. A Toronto show would have been that much better though for me.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2019 at 5:48 PM Post #1,124 of 2,613
Someone yesterday posted a review on the Massdrop THX 789 page claiming that this amp sounds "too bright and two dimensional". Is there any truth to that? Does that depend on the DAC and/or headphones being used?
I do find it to be harsh at some times in the higher frequencys in my system. Maybe a warmer HP then HD800S is a better paring. Now my solid state Lake People RS 02 sounds like an tube amp compared to Thx 789. Also depends on what dac and cables you use i think.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2019 at 8:28 PM Post #1,125 of 2,613
Looking at Innerfidelity's impedance response graph, it's relatively close to being linear impedance response in the 26ohms, but at 20hz it has tiny bit variance of +2 ohms. So I think it's it's relatively flat almost like planars, and shouldn't get really wonky.

https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FostexTHX00sn1927.pdf

Even if the impedance does not vary, th fostex is still far from being properly damped. THe same reason why the Aune would also be bad for planars like the hifiman he-400i and he4xx. Those have impedance around 30-40 ohms which is also way too low. Unless my understanding of the whole thing is very different from yours? This priciple also applies when matching pre amps with power amps. Those also do not vary and just have static impedance, but the ratio rule still applies there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back