Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread
Jan 19, 2019 at 11:14 PM Post #1,141 of 2,613
I can't think of any amp I'd rather have under $1000 U.S The only others I'm thinking of getting as an upgrade are ones from violectric, and those are in an entirely different price category. I'm still trying to find a way to justify it, and so far have not. I'm happy with the thx. I stay away from tubes since I don't like having to service them all the time and change the tubes either. The only tube amps I have are for my guitars.
Brother, give the Violectric a try before you buy it. Really.

In my opinion, the THX 789 exists to challenge exactly those type of amps. You can get so much for so little.

Jan 19, 2019 at 11:16 PM Post #1,142 of 2,613
Brother, give the Violectric a try before you buy it. Really.

In my opinion, the THX 789 exists to challenge exactly those type of amps. You can get so much for so little.

That's my dilemma. I don't want to take the plunge without hearing them with my gear. So unless I find a retailer that lets me audition like Schiit does its probably not going to happen.

Jan 19, 2019 at 11:17 PM Post #1,143 of 2,613
I can't think of any amp I'd rather have under $1000 U.S The only others I'm thinking of getting as an upgrade are ones from violectric, and those are in an entirely different price category. I'm still trying to find a way to justify it, and so far have not. I'm happy with the thx. I stay away from tubes since I don't like having to service them all the time and change the tubes either. The only tube amps I have are for my guitars.

Fair enough. I just want something that is solidly built and will last me a long time. Perhaps down the road I could upgrade my DAC but for now I'm sure the Grace SDAC will do just fine.

Jan 19, 2019 at 11:47 PM Post #1,148 of 2,613
I think the THX adds some presence to the Hoff's action sequence and imposing character. Must be a side effect of the thx brand.

Hehe perhaps. But hopefully the THX 789 makes music like this sound amazing.

Jan 19, 2019 at 11:59 PM Post #1,150 of 2,613
Well done :) Sounds pretty good to me, even better than i remember at the theater!

That's the kind of music I listen to a lot more nowadays.

Picked these up recently.

IMG_1583.JPG

Jan 20, 2019 at 2:31 AM Post #1,151 of 2,613
I had a listen with HD650 and it is easier on the ears then HD800S. On the track Sad but true-metallica. The drum strikes is harsh on HD800S for me.

Jan 20, 2019 at 9:01 AM Post #1,152 of 2,613
Hehe perhaps. But hopefully the THX 789 makes music like this sound amazing.

THX The John Williams Star Wars link made my morning cappuccino taste so much better!

I'm on my laptop this morning using my CEntrance DACport HD driving some Audeze Sine's, the 789 is certainly not portable.

Jan 20, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #1,153 of 2,613
THX The John Williams Star Wars link made my morning cappuccino taste so much better!

I'm on my laptop this morning using my CEntrance DACport HD driving some Audeze Sine's, the 789 is certainly not portable.

So you would say that the THX 789 is a great choice for music that is most (if not all) instrumental?

Jan 20, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #1,154 of 2,613
I think this is there most bang for buck amp from violectric/Lake People.
http://violectric-usa.com/rs-08
Powerfull
27,8 Veff in 300 Ohm = 2570 mW

I have the single ended one.I Would Like to uppgrade to this someday maybe. RS 02 is awesome and warmer then Thx 789. I cant say Thx is better yet. Need to listen more to come to a final conclusion.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #1,155 of 2,613
can we stick to the topic.... not things that cost 3-5X more

Users who are viewing this thread

Back