Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread
Jul 2, 2019 at 1:03 AM Post #1,576 of 2,613
$350 is all it's worth and the Monoprice is also overpriced. Hell the LCX-SDAC is a $250 amp at best. I also hate that SE is an afterthought on these amps.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2019 at 11:34 PM Post #1,582 of 2,613
i agree drop should limit these to ONE per account. i saw someone who listed 10 of them. as he sold them he kept raising the price the last two went up t0 1000$ each i messaged him just being curious and he said he had another dozen on order.

Jul 2, 2019 at 11:39 PM Post #1,583 of 2,613
It's ok! There are plenty of new amps on their way to production as we speak :)

I believe the 789 brought way to a new level of performance and is encouraging all creators/companies out there to push for such an excellence in a product.

Jul 3, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #1,584 of 2,613
Not addressing anyone in particular, but just general thoughts...

The 789 is, from the perspective of this “mid-fi kind of guy” pretty good. Quite transparent (I like that - if I want coloration I will get a Loki, use digital EQ, or simply get that from my headphones). More power than should ever need to be poured into any ears (at least if you want them to stay healthy).

How much is the 789 worth? Well, putting aside the price gouging, the question becomes, what does it cost to get the same audio quality, power output, and connectivity options? I think at $400 the 789 is more than fairly priced - it is a steal. If you know better, it would be great if you would say what amps have the measured quality, the output power, and the connectivity (balanced, SE, 3.3mm) that the 789 does for a comparable or better price.

As to “resellers”... Given the short supply, I agree that Drop should limit the purchases to one or two per account, but there are probably some complexities to that (it is always easier to say something than to actually do it). Let’s keep in mind that as abhorrent as the practice of scalping these units actually is, the fact people will pay the markup is an indication of how well priced these units are.

Honestly I think Massdrop made a mistake and under priced this model. If they can get the volumes up that will benefit us all. And, as previously mentioned, this unit is going to push others to improve their products in the future.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #1,585 of 2,613
From previous posts it seems that a 789 should be nearly identical to a 788 in terms of sound quality, just with more power? Is the difference in sound "noticeable"? Not if there's some 0.00005% on an oscilloscope or something, but actual differences where one can listen in a song and point out. In such case, since Massdrop is slow and everything (I really don't want month long delivery, and not knowing when they will stock up), would it be reasonable to just get the Monoprice 788 for LCD-X since they are easy to drive?

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #1,586 of 2,613
ive owned both sold one. which one did i keep? the 789. sold the 788. im my opinion the 789 does sound better then the 788 not just because of power but overall. the 788 was not at all bad but for the money i would personally rather have the 789.

Jul 10, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #1,589 of 2,613
They said they cannot produce more this year, but that doesn't mean they won't do a drop this year with shipping next year.
I feel I should have got 2-3 units for fellow head-fier. Sold to guys here for non profit offcourse.
I got notification when the drop was live and could have easily got few units but didn't buy it as it never crossed my mind that few guys who are interested couldn't have got it due to work as the drop went live during office hours.

Jul 13, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #1,590 of 2,613
I feel like I need to revisit this thread and give an addendum...maybe eat a little crow.

In my earlier review of the THX AAA 789 I mentioned I was running my pair of HE-4xx's single ended. I have since acquired a balanced cable from Periapt and this has somewhat altered my overall impression of the amp.

Running this amp via the balanced out is actually a quite enjoyable experience. I am finding a subtle but identifiable improvement in channel separation, and it seems like the soundstage has widened ever so slightly. This seems most apparent in the bass frequencies, which remain tight and controlled, but now have what sounds like to me a wider presentation.

Likewise, even though reproduction through all frequencies remains incredibly clean...there is a hint of added energy that is really very nice.

Nothing objective or scientific about these observations....just perception. But based on the amp's performance via balanced output...I am pretty sure it will be staying right here.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back